ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Merged premium fuel threads - is higher than 87 Octane needed or useful?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-24, 05:00 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,555 Likes on 1,821 Posts

Originally Posted by F3Woody
Joe's really does have some good deals, if you time it right.
I use the GAS BUDDY app to find the sweet deals
The following users liked this post:
FastDawg (02-21-24)
Old 02-21-24, 02:57 PM
GreenGobln
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I get Shell 90 only because its non ethanol. I work form home and don't drive much so I dont want it sitting with ethanol. Only 1 other place ...walmart near me has non ethanol in 93.
Old 02-22-24, 02:20 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 493 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenGobln
I get Shell 90 only because its non ethanol. I work form home and don't drive much so I dont want it sitting with ethanol. Only 1 other place ...walmart near me has non ethanol in 93.
I wonder if this is true of Shell and Walmart gas sold in California? I agree that non-ethanol gas is a better choice for any car, especially one that sits.
Old 02-22-24, 03:18 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 558 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
I wonder if this is true of Shell and Walmart gas sold in California? I agree that non-ethanol gas is a better choice for any car, especially one that sits.
Pretty much all non-aviation gasoline sold in California is an ethanol blend. Since the MTBE additive use was outlawed, ethanol is only oxygenate additive allowed to increase the oxygen content of a gasoline blend to meet California Reformulated Gasoline (CaRFG) Regulations requirements. (Oh, it isn't technically "true" that the California Air Resources Board (CARB) has mandated only ethanol blended gasoline is allowed for sale; instead, those wilily rascals just wrote the regulations such that practically all gasoline sold in California is an ethanol blended gasoline in order to comply with the regulations' requirements.)

That said, there's still a few places in California where you can buy non-ethanol blended gasoline. For locations, see pure-gas.org- The definitive list of stations that sell ethanol-free gasoline in the U.S. and Canada! and select the "CA" tab. (Here's a direct link to a CA pure-gas locations map .)
Old 02-22-24, 07:04 PM
FastDawg
Pit Crew

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

I think Top Tier gas stations are the only places to buy fuel that can be trusted. Walmart - or Murphy - used to be my go to station on road trips to destinations we frequent but no more. They are cheap for a reason - cheap fuel that can't be trusted. Shell is a Top Tier gas station.
Old 02-22-24, 07:43 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,555 Likes on 1,821 Posts

Originally Posted by FastDawg
I think Top Tier gas stations are the only places to buy fuel that can be trusted. Walmart - or Murphy - used to be my go to station on road trips to destinations we frequent but no more. They are cheap for a reason - cheap fuel that can't be trusted. Shell is a Top Tier gas station.
Ask the guy that delivers fuel to Wal-Mart what other stations he delivers to.
Old 02-23-24, 06:06 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

What is the issue with Ethanol and cars that sit. I don't drive much at all and I had not heard this before?

Thanks,

Old 02-23-24, 07:54 AM
GreenGobln
Driver

Originally Posted by brucelee1
What is the issue with Ethanol and cars that sit. I don't drive much at all and I had not heard this before?

Thanks,
Ethanol based gas easily absorbs moisture, which can lead to contamination. It can also dry out rubber components.
In most cases there's no issues if the car sits for less than 3 months, but with the humidity in Florida even though my car is garage kept and how I don't drive much (I still drive weekly) I think non ethanol is worth it for me since I can actually get it.
Wilson2000 (02-28-24)
Old 02-23-24, 09:39 AM
FastDawg
Pit Crew

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Ask the guy that delivers fuel to Wal-Mart what other stations he delivers to.
No to these stations: https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...C%20Reeders%2C
Old 02-23-24, 11:59 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Originally Posted by GreenGobln
Ethanol based gas easily absorbs moisture, which can lead to contamination. It can also dry out rubber components.
In most cases there's no issues if the car sits for less than 3 months, but with the humidity in Florida even though my car is garage kept and how I don't drive much (I still drive weekly) I think non ethanol is worth it for me since I can actually get it.
Thanks,

We cannot get it here in MA. I just bought Stabil to add to my fuel.

Thanks for the tip.

Old 02-23-24, 07:10 PM
GreenGobln
Driver

Thanks,

We cannot get it here in MA. I just bought Stabil to add to my fuel.

Thanks for the tip.
I'm originally from Springfield so I know all to well how rare it is in Taxachusetts lol The Pure Gas website even shows only 28 stations in the entire state. https://www.pure-gas.org/MA
Old 02-24-24, 05:02 AM
brucelee1
Racer

I live in Longmeadow. Yes, the nanny state is alive and well here, It gets worse by the day. We are out of here soon.
Old 02-24-24, 05:48 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 510 Likes on 364 Posts

I live in Longmeadow. Yes, the nanny state is alive and well here, It gets worse by the day. We are out of here soon.
Come here to SW Florida. No BS here!
Old 02-24-24, 05:51 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,404 Likes on 1,110 Posts

This whole thread has a lot of the no difference, narrative. There lots of misunderstanding of the effects of higher Octane 93 fuels and the effects on Lexus ECU mapping, that controls your Lexus fuel/air, Timing, and other, based on the readings the ECU is seeing from many engine sensors including in the combustion chamber and engine temps to name a few.

93 Shell will have you engine perform different than cheap 87 fuel. You may not be able to feel it, but it does. To cost justify the cost difference is one thing, or feeling if it is worth or or not. Some fuels will also affect the long term condition performance of the internals of the engine also, like excess deposits, and carbon build up. There is actual test data that shows all this to be true. Until you monitor live engine data or do other testing, one would certainly not know any difference. The Toy/Lex 2GR-FKS is not just used in the 19+ ES350 only. It's used in many other Toy/Lex Models for a while.
FastDawg (02-24-24)
Old 02-24-24, 06:00 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 510 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
This whole thread has a lot of the no difference, narrative. There lots of misunderstanding of the effects of higher Octane 93 fuels and the effects on Lexus ECU mapping, that controls your Lexus fuel/air, Timing, and other, based on the readings the ECU is seeing from many engine sensors including in the combustion chamber and engine temps to name a few.

93 Shell will have you engine perform different than cheap 87 fuel. You may not be able to feel it, but it does. To cost justify the cost difference is one thing, or feeling if it is worth or or not. Some fuels will also affect the long term condition performance of the internals of the engine also, like excess deposits, and carbon build up. There is actual test data that shows all this to be true. Until you monitor live engine data or do other testing, one would certainly not know any difference. The Toy/Lex 2GR-FKS is not just used in the 19+ ES350 only. It's used in many other Toy/Lex Models for a while.
As I’ve said here numerous times, switch from supermarket 87 regular to Top Tier 93 (usually) Sunoco and sometimes Texaco or Chevron premium made a world of difference in my 350 ES. No more alarming hesitation! Rides and accelerates smooth as silk. I’ll never go back. I’ll swear by it!
FastDawg (02-24-24)

Quick Reply: Merged premium fuel threads - is higher than 87 Octane needed or useful?