ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Unable To Access My Wireless Access Point in my 2019 ES350

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-19, 01:52 PM
tnw2933
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Unable To Access My Wireless Access Point in my 2019 ES350

On December 13, 2018 I purchased a Lexus ES350 which included a trial 1year/4Gb Verizon subscription for a wireless access point. Through The Lexus Enform app I activated that Verizon wireless trial in mid-January 2019. It worked well for at least two weeks. Today I noticed that I did not have a wireless access point and attempted to turn on wireless in the wireless setup menu of my ES350. I got a busy icon and a few seconds later a message that the wireless access point could not be activated. There was no further information given. I called Lexus Enform Support and was told by their support person that Lexus had been notified that Verizon was having a technical problem, and that I should call Verizon Wireless Support. I did so, gave the Verizon Support person my EMID number as it came up on the display in my Lexus. She spent 30 minutes with me, was unable to help in any way, and finally connected me to a Lexus person who was supposed to be able to help me. The Lexus support person she connected me to was utterly clueless, and after putting me on hold for 5 minutes came back to tell me that "you get this message of unable to connect" if you have used up your data. I told him that there could be no conceivable way that I had used 4 Gb of data since I had only used the Lexus wireless access point twice and both time to connect to a web page (no videos, no downloads, etc.). He then told me that he could not help. So now I have Verizon saying it is a Lexus problem and Lexus saying it is a Verizon problem with both clearly not having a clue as to what the real solution to the problem is. Note that I still get regular e-mails (as recently as a few minutes ago) from Verizon urging me to use my Lexus wireless access point and that My Lexus Enform web page shows my Verizon trial is "active".

Has anyone experienced the loss of ability to connect to the wireless access point in their Lexus ES350? Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to resolve this issue?

I have to say that I am very disappointed in Lexus' total absence of support on this issue, and Verizon's totally unhelpful stance as well. For me, the advertised wireless access point in my Lexus ES350 has become a fantasy.

Tom
Old 05-06-19, 05:13 PM
dhschneide
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread from Feburary seems to describe the same problem:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...i-hotspot.html

The only suggestion I've gotten with Verizon wireless and Lexus on the phone is to perform the reset function again every time this happens.
Old 05-06-19, 05:13 PM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tnw2933
On December 13, 2018 I purchased a Lexus ES350 which included a trial 1year/4Gb Verizon subscription for a wireless access point. Through The Lexus Enform app I activated that Verizon wireless trial in mid-January 2019. It worked well for at least two weeks. Today I noticed that I did not have a wireless access point and attempted to turn on wireless in the wireless setup menu of my ES350. I got a busy icon and a few seconds later a message that the wireless access point could not be activated. There was no further information given. I called Lexus Enform Support and was told by their support person that Lexus had been notified that Verizon was having a technical problem, and that I should call Verizon Wireless Support. I did so, gave the Verizon Support person my EMID number as it came up on the display in my Lexus. She spent 30 minutes with me, was unable to help in any way, and finally connected me to a Lexus person who was supposed to be able to help me. The Lexus support person she connected me to was utterly clueless, and after putting me on hold for 5 minutes came back to tell me that "you get this message of unable to connect" if you have used up your data. I told him that there could be no conceivable way that I had used 4 Gb of data since I had only used the Lexus wireless access point twice and both time to connect to a web page (no videos, no downloads, etc.). He then told me that he could not help. So now I have Verizon saying it is a Lexus problem and Lexus saying it is a Verizon problem with both clearly not having a clue as to what the real solution to the problem is. Note that I still get regular e-mails (as recently as a few minutes ago) from Verizon urging me to use my Lexus wireless access point and that My Lexus Enform web page shows my Verizon trial is "active".

Has anyone experienced the loss of ability to connect to the wireless access point in their Lexus ES350? Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to resolve this issue?

I have to say that I am very disappointed in Lexus' total absence of support on this issue, and Verizon's totally unhelpful stance as well. For me, the advertised wireless access point in my Lexus ES350 has become a fantasy.

Tom
why bother with it?
most have smartphones that can tether or hotspot wifi for others to use
my grandsons hook up to my iphone on trips with there ipads and I have unlimited data on ATT

Philip
2019 ES300h UL
eminent white pearl/chateau
2019 NX300h L
eminent white pearl/crème
gone
2016 ES300h UL eminent white pearl/parchment
2015 NX300h L atomic silver/black

The following users liked this post:
kalel2127 (05-24-19)
Old 05-06-19, 06:30 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,796 Posts

Originally Posted by pgiinc
why bother with it?
my grandsons hook up to my iphone on trips with there ipads and I have unlimited data on ATT

Philip
2019 ES300h UL
2019 NX300h L
gone

I agree - seems unnecessary these days. Ive never even tried to access it.
Old 05-06-19, 07:43 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

I could be mistaken, but I thought that the car was using a 3w radio for its communication with the cell towers and that phones have only a 5w radio. For those who live/drive in areas where cell phone coverage is spotty or marginal, being able to use the car's more powerful radio as a hotspot can make the difference between being able connect and not being able to connect.
Old 05-06-19, 07:48 PM
pgiinc
Intermediate

data for the car is transferred on cell phone towers so if you don't have cell phone service the car data is not going to work either
Old 05-06-19, 08:01 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

data for the car is transferred on cell phone towers so if you don't have cell phone service the car data is not going to work either
I'm not sure that I understand what you are saying, but I think you are making my point. Because the car has a more powerful radio, it will be able to communicate with the cell towers in situations where a phone will not be able to do so.

I would also think that the hot spot feature would be useful for those who are using tablets that are only wi-fi capable.
dhschneide (05-07-19)
Old 05-07-19, 04:15 AM
tnw2933
Rookie

Originally Posted by dhschneide
This thread from Feburary seems to describe the same problem:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...i-hotspot.html

The only suggestion I've gotten with Verizon wireless and Lexus on the phone is to perform the reset function again every time this happens.
Thanks for responding. After reading the thread in February (thanks for calling my attention to that), I have come to the conclusion that the wireless access point in my Lexus ES350 is worthless. I will simply tether my iPhone to my other devices when I need wireless. Thanks again.
Old 05-07-19, 11:31 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

For now you must "Delete Personal Information" which is normally reserved for trading or selling the car.
This menu selection will warn you that it will delete/reset absolutely Everything, phone pairings, Navigation
waypoints and memories, radio stations, Lexus App Suite...everything. Then the WiFi hotspot happily
turns right back on. Lexus & Verizon are apparently working on a fix.
dhschneide (05-07-19)
Old 05-07-19, 12:15 PM
tnw2933
Rookie

Originally Posted by mcomer
For now you must "Delete Personal Information" which is normally reserved for trading or selling the car.
This menu selection will warn you that it will delete/reset absolutely Everything, phone pairings, Navigation
waypoints and memories, radio stations, Lexus App Suite...everything. Then the WiFi hotspot happily
turns right back on. Lexus & Verizon are apparently working on a fix.
Thank you. You are quite correct. This morning I received a call from Lexus which confirmed that this would resolve the problem. I deleted all my personal data, reconnected the wireless access point, and restored all of my personal data. I now once again have a wireless access point. The Lexus support person confirmed that Verizon has no control over your wireless access point until the trial period has ended. Thus the problem is definitely in the Lexus software. I cannot imagine that anyone would pay Verizon for a wireless access point until Lexus has resolved the problem in their software.
Old 05-07-19, 02:08 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,288 Likes on 897 Posts

why bother with it?

Philip
2019 ES300h UL
2019 NX300h L
gone

Some of us don't have unlimited data so that others can access the account. For this reason I depend on the free 4GB from Verizon... And so far, it has worked flawlessly since setup...

Old 05-07-19, 03:36 PM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bc6152
Some of us don't have unlimited data so that others can access the account. For this reason I depend on the free 4GB from Verizon... And so far, it has worked flawlessly since setup...
I don't know what your doing buy 4GB will not last long then you have to pay out the arsss for verizion data thu your lexus
be best to just use your phone and up your plan

Philip
2019 ES300h UL
2019 NX300h L
gone

Old 05-23-19, 09:46 PM
Neezy216
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you. You are quite correct. This morning I received a call from Lexus which confirmed that this would resolve the problem. I deleted all my personal data, reconnected the wireless access point, and restored all of my personal data. I now once again have a wireless access point. The Lexus support person confirmed that Verizon has no control over your wireless access point until the trial period has ended. Thus the problem is definitely in the Lexus software. I cannot imagine that anyone would pay Verizon for a wireless access point until Lexus has resolved the problem in their software.

I can confirm I've had this problem occur multiple times and have had to perform the "delete personal data" process multiple times (including today).

Lexus confirmed to me it's their problem. Don't be surprised if the your access point disappears again.
dhschneide (05-24-19)
Old 12-14-21, 02:34 PM
Highly
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wifi Issues on 2019 Lecus Es350

Tom
I have the same issue twice, can't access the wifi, it won't turn on, went to the dealer, they did a hard reset on the radio, didn't work, they made some calls and figured out something 6hrs later, 48 days later, I can't access the wifi again, will not turn on, I'm disappointed... So I got to go back to the dealer again
Old 12-14-21, 03:41 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,288 Likes on 897 Posts

After the free 4 gigs ran out I just forgot about it. Along with Alexa that hardly ever worked, and the remote start app (that I just canceled) that worked sometimes... Just gave up thru frustration... Calling Lexus for help is a dead end and usually dealer tech agents are clueless...Lexus infotainment system needs a lot of work.
dhschneide (12-15-21)