ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Lexus+Alexa

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-19, 10:22 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Lexus+Alexa

Has anyone heard when the Lexus+Alexa App is supposed to be coming to iOS? The last I heard anything about this from Lexus was that it would be coming in "Early 2019" for the ES. Since we're less than 2 weeks from officially being in the "Late 2019" category, I would have expected it by now. I'm kind of curious to see if there is any value to it, and I've never heard any Android users talk about it.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...e_Pager_v2.pdf
Old 05-20-19, 10:45 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

I have it in my car and actually forgot about it. I have Google Assistant on my Android phone if necessary, so Alexa, IMO, is just another gimmick that will go unused... I thought that by now Lexus would have provided this for you Apple devotees but in checking the Lexus web site states for Android OS 5.0 and later... Used to be that Apple got everything first but not any more...
Old 05-20-19, 01:28 PM
billm555
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spoke to my dealer about it recently and all they said was that "there is no set date as to when it will be available" but that it would be available at some point. Yes, "early 2019" is long past.
Old 05-21-19, 11:05 AM
User 41924
Instructor

It might be a gimmick, or there might be some circumstance that makes it useful occasionally. That's what I would like to find out.

The other day when I left for work, I noticed I had left a light on and wished I had the ability to turn it off remotely. I could have waited until it was convenient to pull out my phone and use the Alexa or Hue App that way, but it would have been nice to do it by voice. By the time I got to work I had forgotten about it again, and the light was on all day. Maybe it's a gimmick and no one uses it. That would explain a lack of Android users responding to tell me they either like it or hate it. BTW - that's sorta how I feel about Lexus Remote and the Enform Apps. It's fun occasionally, but not very useful.
Old 05-21-19, 12:01 PM
billm555
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Woodrow...an interesting take on your comment that you wished you had a way to turn your light off remotely. You did. You could have done it through your Alexa or Hue app. Of course you would have liked to be able to do it with your voice through the Lexus+Alexa app.

With the utmost respect and I don't mean this to sound mean spirited, how lazy have we gotten that being able to turn a house light off through an app on your phone is no longer convenient but rather a pain in the ___. Fifity years ago, being able to control a home lamp via your phone would be totally unheard of. Space age, in fact. And, now it's old hat. Inconvenient.

What will it be next???
Old 05-21-19, 02:24 PM
User 41924
Instructor

It's a legitimate question! Except it was more like 10 years ago, not 50. It's not about lazy! The very fact that we're on a forum with our smart phones and computers, taking advantage of the wealth of knowledge, opportunity, and entertainment we find on the internet (that also was not there 50 years ago!) screams that we appreciate and use the conveniences that ever evolving technology brings to us all. I think we use it because we can, not because we're lazy.

There is no arguing that mine was a "first world" issue, but Lexus has promised us an Alexa solution for Android AND iOS, and has not yet delivered on the promise. This, along with trying to understand the value of what they promised, was the point of my question.
The following users liked this post:
kalel2127 (05-21-19)
Old 05-21-19, 04:04 PM
lilfool
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

For IOS it was just released as I saw on the NX thread. I downloaded it from the App Store just now and linked my account. I believe you have to have the app open and then go to the Enform apps and it should pop up there in the car.
Old 05-21-19, 04:20 PM
wmogolov
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Woodrow....it's official! Lexus+Alexa is now available from the App Store for IOS. Let me know what you think of it. I'll probably get it set up tomorrow.
Old 05-21-19, 04:32 PM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 103 Posts

I will also try to set it up but according to the app notes it will only work on 2019 ES without factory navigation (vehicles produced prior to Oct 1, 2018)
Old 05-21-19, 06:49 PM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 103 Posts

Well it does work on my vehicle but it’s pretty useless for me since it doesn’t work while CarPlay is active.
Old 05-22-19, 03:11 AM
mickbrown
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by kalel2127
I will also try to set it up but according to the app notes it will only work on 2019 ES without factory navigation (vehicles produced prior to Oct 1, 2018)
So it WON’T work on my ‘19 ES WITH factory navigation produced AFTER Oct 1, 2018??? That totally does not make any sense. Hopefully an error in the app notes. I’ll try it today and let y’all know...
Old 05-22-19, 07:05 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Originally Posted by mickbrown
So it WON’T work on my ‘19 ES WITH factory navigation produced AFTER Oct 1, 2018??? That totally does not make any sense. Hopefully an error in the app notes. I’ll try it today and let y’all know...
The note that says that seems to apply to the "Lexus Multimedia System Enhancement the adds Apple CarPlay compatibility and support for Lexus+Alexa". I'm assuming that cars with Nav already have CarPlay compatibility and (therefore) can already support the Lexus+Alexa app.

I'm looking forward to seeing if I'm right, but I won't be able to connect to my car until tonight, either.
Old 05-23-19, 04:52 AM
ES63
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Just to confirm , it does work with factory Nav ( ML sound etc ) you need to add the app in the applications menu on the Infotainment center ( there is also an Enform update out today) . install the app on you IOS phone.
Then it will be avail when you have Enform app running and you are connected via Blu-tooth only. you can either go to apps and start it or it is avail basicaly as an audio source ( so you can see it in the side panel if you have or open . if you ask for directions it will put them into you cars factory nav maps.
it does not work thru Car play as it is blutooth enabled and when you start car play blue tooth is disconnected. That kinda has to be, perhaps in the future it will become a Carplay suppported app.
I my opinion its a good start , i used it quite bit yesterday just to see . ... hey and i even used the wireless charger for the firsttime in a while ( it has to have location services running all the time , which contributes to phone batt draw.
will i use it all the time , no, still carplay with waze , Siri for sending and recieving texts etc is better easier. But I was able to get better traffic info from Alexa and turn off my bedroom lights i left on when i went to work this am.
Old 05-28-19, 06:16 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Originally Posted by ES63
Just to confirm , it does work with factory Nav ( ML sound etc ) ....
Yep. It works. I actually had a minor struggle, though. It wouldn't appear in the Enform apps until I removed the app and reinstalled it. I must have gotten out of order somehow. The second thing I tried to do with it, was to have Alexa lock the car. It failed, telling me I had to connect to a valid Enform Remote account. When I tried to look into it, Enform was telling me the account had expired. It hasn't. When I load Enform on my own, I can do everything including locking and unlocking the doors. I haven't looked into it more. Maybe I missed a step where I ling the Lexus+Alexa App to my Enform Remote account?

I still haven't decided if it's going to be at all useful. Maybe with Music.
Old 05-29-19, 06:10 PM
lilfool
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I’m having problems connecting. My phone is connected to Bluetooth, I downloaded both the IOS app on my phone and got the update from enform that added Lexus+ Alexa. It keeps telling me waiting to connect to Bluetooth (from the phone) but it never connects. The car will tell me Lexus+ Alexa not detected and I know I’m connected to the Bluetooth because enform 2.0 is telling me “you’re connected” and have the option to disconnect. I even tried uninstalling it from both the car and phone and still won’t work so not sure what I’m doing wrong.

edit: I want to add that I have the NX 2019 (October built) I know this is an ES form but we are using the same system so hopefully I can get answers from here!
The following users liked this post:
markp1798 (06-17-19)

Quick Reply: Lexus+Alexa