ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Dynamic Cruise Control Notification

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-19, 12:50 AM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Dynamic Cruise Control Notification

When using dynamic radar cruise control a notification pops up on the multi info display every time the radar detects or stops detecting a car as well as other conditions that I haven't actually figured out. Sometimes it just seems random.

I've looked at all the settings I could find to turn it off but I can't find anything. Is there really no way to turn it off? It's extremely annoying and comes up constantly.
Old 05-22-19, 09:05 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jimv1983
When using dynamic radar cruise control a notification pops up on the multi info display every time the radar detects or stops detecting a car as well as other conditions that I haven't actually figured out. Sometimes it just seems random.

I've looked at all the settings I could find to turn it off but I can't find anything. Is there really no way to turn it off? It's extremely annoying and comes up constantly.
If I understand your question, it seems that the notification that pops up just alerts you that the radar has slowed the car below your set point speed due to the proximity of the car ahead or that you have cleared the car ahead and it is resuming your set speed. I know of no way to disable the notification other than not use the dynamic portion of the cruise control.
Old 05-22-19, 10:44 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

You have the ability to turn off "Pop-Up Display" in the "Meter Control" section of the "Settings Display". It says "Warning or suggestion/advice pop-up displays are also displayed in certain situations", but I can't find exactly what they are. You can try turning them off and see if it helps.

See page 76 in the owners manual.
Old 05-22-19, 10:45 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,560 Likes on 1,824 Posts

You can also hit the back button which will take you back to the screen you started on - MPG etc.
Old 05-24-19, 05:17 PM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I know of no way to disable the notification other than not use the dynamic portion of the cruise control.
According to the manual, to select conventional cruise control, you need to "press and hold the cruise control switch for 15 seconds."

If you select that mode, then turn cruise off, then on, does it return to "vehicle to vehicle" mode or remain in conventional cruise?
Old 05-24-19, 08:58 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 887 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodrow
You have the ability to turn off "Pop-Up Display" in the "Meter Control" section of the "Settings Display". It says "Warning or suggestion/advice pop-up displays are also displayed in certain situations", but I can't find exactly what they are. You can try turning them off and see if it helps.

Isn't this only for navigation directions? I think the only way to stop the adaptive cruise control notification from popping up is to actually switch the display menu to the adaptive cruise/lane keep assist screen. That's what I do. I'd rather just leave it there than deal with the pop-up because it's pretty annoying, but I understand why it does it as it's important for the car to be communicating what it's seeing/doing to the driver when it has partially taken control of itself.
Old 05-26-19, 06:05 AM
OBLexus
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LeeSoFL
According to the manual, to select conventional cruise control, you need to "press and hold the cruise control switch for 15 seconds."

If you select that mode, then turn cruise off, then on, does it return to "vehicle to vehicle" mode or remain in conventional cruise?
It remains in conventional cruise control until you either turn off cruise control or you switch off the car and back on.
Old 05-26-19, 08:00 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

15 seconds seems excessive although ive not tried it in the ES. In our RX, you only have to hold it for roughly 3 seconds to select conventional with no radar.
Old 05-26-19, 12:14 PM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Originally Posted by OBLexus
It remains in conventional cruise control until you either turn off cruise control or you switch off the car and back on.
Originally Posted by mikemu30
15 seconds seems excessive although ive not tried it in the ES. In our RX, you only have to hold it for roughly 3 seconds to select conventional with no radar.
Thanks, I did have a chance to try it today, and it's no where near 15 seconds to engage.

When in adaptive, does it put the car into coast or apply the brakes?
Old 05-26-19, 05:40 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, I did have a chance to try it today, and it's no where near 15 seconds to engage.

I am guessing it applies the brakes - how else would it come to a complete stop?
Old 05-26-19, 09:46 PM
OBLexus
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

It mostly uses the brakes, sometimes, when going downhill, the car can shift a gear down and use the engine to slow it down.
The following users liked this post:
LeeSoFL (05-27-19)
Old 05-26-19, 10:51 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
If I understand your question, it seems that the notification that pops up just alerts you that the radar has slowed the car below your set point speed due to the proximity of the car ahead or that you have cleared the car ahead and it is resuming your set speed. I know of no way to disable the notification other than not use the dynamic portion of the cruise control.
It doesn't seem to pop up every time the speed changes. It only seems to pop up if it detects a car or stops detecting a car(such as when the car ahead changes lanes or gets so far ahead that it's not in radar range).

Originally Posted by Woodrow

I looked it the Pop-Up Display settings but it didn't mention the cruise control info. All you get is Nav, Phone, Audio, Volume and Brightness.

That cruise control notification pop up is so annoying.
Gr8Car4Me (05-27-19)
Old 05-27-19, 04:27 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I am guessing it applies the brakes - how else would it come to a complete stop?
A recent rental '19 Cadillac would actually come off the gas to let the car naturally drop a few mph in lieu of using the brakes, then the adaptive re-engages and the car resumes set speed.

I sorta feel you look like a novice driver when your brake lights keep coming on when driving 70 on a highway.

Last edited by LeeSoFL; 05-27-19 at 05:16 PM.
Gr8Car4Me (05-27-19)
Old 05-27-19, 03:14 PM
Gr8Car4Me
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

When using adaptive cruise on highway situations I have found myself wondering if the car is applying the brakes or just backing off the throttle and letting wind friction slow the car. The designers make it a big point to tell you if the radar detects a car ahead or not, but no indication on brake activity that I can tell unless the braking is enough to be obvious. Is there some indication about brake application I am missing? I do wonder if/when I am signaling to the cars following me.
Old 05-28-19, 06:03 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm pretty sure it uses the brakes, and it's NOT always very smooth. It doesn't seem to coast much. Either accelerating, maintaining speed, or braking, and not much in between. It must be because it doesn't look very far in front of the car. It does seem to either be getting better, though. Either that or I'm getting more used to the lack of subtlety. I wonder if it learns.

This would be a lot more useful on an interstate, with a more constant flow of traffic. I like to play with it in traffic, where it slows and starts on it's own. The only intervention needed is after it comes to a complete stop. I also occasionally use cruise to help avoid speeding in moderate traffic on surface streets. It gets a little dicey sometimes and you have to pay attention. I know I'm not using it in the conditions it's designed for, but it's kind of fun and I appreciate the technology. From a more practical viewpoint, it really is a compromise. and I'm not sure how it could be improved.