ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

hollow door noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-19, 10:25 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Mine sounds pretty solid but I don't listen that carefully. End of the day, everything is about CAFE standards and achieving optimal MPG.
Old 06-15-19, 02:17 PM
roby88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get it, it’s just something you gotta live with, but the doors on my Scion tC sound much more solid and that shouldn’t be the case in my opinion. I shouldn’t have to remove the door panel and put my own sound dampening material in it to make it more solid sounding, and there’s no way that safety and quality touches like this are mutually exclusive.
Old 06-16-19, 08:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Yeah, that shouldn't be the case...somethings not right there...
Old 06-18-19, 09:32 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

In my experience, the front doors of all the new toyota TNGA platform vehicles (e.g. Camry, Avalon, Rav4, ES350) make a tinny sound if closed hard. Issue is resolved by adding butyl sound dampening sheets to the inner skins of the front doors. Oddly, the rear doors of these same vehicles sound solid and don't need additional dampening sheets.
The following users liked this post:
1stTimeLex (06-20-19)
Old 06-25-19, 02:30 PM
STLLEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I took my 2018 ES350 in for it's 10000 mile service this past weekend and was given a 2019 ES350 loaner. I also notice the hollow sound when I closed the drivers door.I always listen for the thud sound when I close the door of a luxury sedan.
Old 06-25-19, 04:30 PM
RJLsES
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by STLLEXUS
I took my 2018 ES350 in for it's 10000 mile service this past weekend and was given a 2019 ES350 loaner. I also notice the hollow sound when I closed the drivers door.I always listen for the thud sound when I close the door of a luxury sedan.
Curious as to your general impression of the 2019 ES compared that of your 2018 ES.

I had a 2018 ES loaner when I was getting my IS fixed for the Takata airbag fiasco. I really liked the 2018 ES and my new 2019 ES is as good, but with more bells & whistles. In fact, our 2018 ES loaner cemented my decision to get an ES. I waited for the 2019's for the extra power and 8-speed tranny.

Now I gotta go slam my front doors......
Old 06-27-19, 02:19 PM
STLLEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I really like the the look of the 2019 front end.The interior though has more of a sports car look and less of a luxury car look even on the ultra Luxury model than the 2018 ultra luxury model.I know they are trying to attract younger buyers but I also own a 2016 Mazda MX-5 and a C5 Corvette so I want my ES to be a nice and simple luxury cruiser. I don't know for sure that this would keep me from buying a new ES when I replace mine in 4 years.
Old 06-27-19, 02:20 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Rubber mat is all you need. And you don't need to go crazy and do the whole doors. Just cut 4-5" squares and place them dead center of the larger empty areas of sheet metal. I do this to all my cars i just purchase and make the doors feel solid. it's my little secret.

do it smart though, with a scientific mindset. don't go all caveman and do the entire door cause that's just not how that works.
Eggroll96 (04-19-24)
Old 06-29-19, 07:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by STLLEXUS
I really like the the look of the 2019 front end.The interior though has more of a sports car look and less of a luxury car look even on the ultra Luxury model than the 2018 ultra luxury model.I know they are trying to attract younger buyers but I also own a 2016 Mazda MX-5 and a C5 Corvette so I want my ES to be a nice and simple luxury cruiser. I don't know for sure that this would keep me from buying a new ES when I replace mine in 4 years.
I actually don't agree with that at all. the new ES has a lot more wood trim than the previous car for instance, and materials are much better which IMHO makes it feel much more luxurious. The new screen has a lot to do with that, the screen in the previous car was quite low resolution.
Old 06-29-19, 09:15 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I actually don't agree with that at all. the new ES has a lot more wood trim than the previous car for instance, and materials are much better which IMHO makes it feel much more luxurious. The new screen has a lot to do with that, the screen in the previous car was quite low resolution.
No wood in the FSport yet still feels pretty luxurious to me. Im not a fan of wood in cars.
Old 06-29-19, 05:52 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

I mean no disrespect to anyone here, but I just don’t see/hear the “hollow door” sound that several others have commented on here. I have to wonder if perhaps this isn’t more of a perception or expectation issue. I only have one day under my belt with a 2019 model year ESh but I was really listening hard to see if our car exhibited this issue. It sounds pretty much the same as our previous generation ESh and very similar to the other Lexus products I have owned. Anyone reading these posts in consideration of a new 2019 ES really needs to evaluate this for themselves. I personally find the sound the doors make when closing to be very normal and perfectly satisfying.

As as to the other developing conversation in this thread as to the interior appearing more sporty versus luxurious, I also disagree. It clearly has more of a luxury orientation in my humble opinion, although the FSport may be debatable, especially with the red seating material. However the “feel” of a car’s interior just like the “sound” of a door closing is somewhat subjective and can be based on preconceived expectations. BMW seems to have done well building sporty, luxurious cars so one might argue that the two aspects of a modern car don’t need to be mutually exclusive? Having said that, our new car is a hybrid, and it is not sporty.. Now if I could just figure out why they put paddle shifters on car with a CVT transmission...
Old 06-29-19, 07:29 PM
UKEE
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I had my 2016 in for service and had a 2019 loaner for a few weeks. I noticed the front doors sounded really hollow especially compared to the 2016 ES. Definitely not as solid sounding as the previous generation, at least the one that I drove.
Eggroll96 (04-19-24)
Old 06-29-19, 09:01 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by UKEE
I had my 2016 in for service and had a 2019 loaner for a few weeks. I noticed the front doors sounded really hollow especially compared to the 2016 ES. Definitely not as solid sounding as the previous generation, at least the one that I drove.
Interesting. I wonder if it could be a difference in where built, Japan versus US? Perhaps a difference in stereo which would dictate different speakers with different weight and different sound deadening? I am certainly out on a limb speculating here, I just cannot tell a difference (at least not yet). I also don’t slam our doors so perhaps it only shows up with an aggressive close. Curious.

For comparison sake, we have the standard stereo.
Old 06-30-19, 07:35 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut
I mean no disrespect to anyone here, but I just don’t see/hear the “hollow door” sound that several others have commented on here. I have to wonder if perhaps this isn’t more of a perception or expectation issue. I only have one day under my belt with a 2019 model year ESh but I was really listening hard to see if our car exhibited this issue. It sounds pretty much the same as our previous generation ESh and very similar to the other Lexus products I have owned. Anyone reading these posts in consideration of a new 2019 ES really needs to evaluate this for themselves. I personally find the sound the doors make when closing to be very normal and perfectly satisfying.

As as to the other developing conversation in this thread as to the interior appearing more sporty versus luxurious, I also disagree. It clearly has more of a luxury orientation in my humble opinion, although the FSport may be debatable, especially with the red seating material. However the “feel” of a car’s interior just like the “sound” of a door closing is somewhat subjective and can be based on preconceived expectations. BMW seems to have done well building sporty, luxurious cars so one might argue that the two aspects of a modern car don’t need to be mutually exclusive? Having said that, our new car is a hybrid, and it is not sporty.. Now if I could just figure out why they put paddle shifters on car with a CVT transmission...
I agree with you about the doors. They sound fine to me. I also agree that anyone reading these threads should look at the car themselves and not trust hyper-sensitive complaints on the internet.

There are A LOT of people claiming there are "issues" about small details that are entire subjective. Regardless of the sound the door makes when it closes this is the still one of the quietest cars on the road. Obviously the door contributes to that whether they like the sound it makes or not. And even if I didn't like the way the door closed I still enjoy the fact that I'm driving a Lexus, the most reliable manufacturer on the market. I wouldn't trade it for a Mercedes that is much more expensive, and chances are would spend much more time at the dealership getting fixed, but sounds less hollow when the door is closed.

Next we'll get complainers that suck at driving, hit someone, then blame the mirrors and windows and demand this issue get resolved immediately!
Old 06-30-19, 11:23 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

When I traded in my Maxima for a 6th gen ES the first thing I noticed when I got it home was how flimsy the doors sounded compared to the Maxima. Sounds like it might be even worse on the 7th gen.

Quick Reply: hollow door noise