ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

hollow door noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-22, 07:50 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

There's strong compromises w/ a flat floor. Very strong. The only downside is the person in the middle can't put their feet in front of them comfortably.

Saying something is "without its flaws" is a cop out. Everyone knows nothing is flawless.

I was just directly replying to the insinuation whether intended or perceived that the 6ES is somehow better or equal or close-to.
Old 07-21-22, 11:15 AM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT

I was just directly replying to the insinuation whether intended or perceived that the 6ES is somehow better or equal or close-to.
not insinuating. The 6ES door does not flutter in the bottom when closed. Not saying it’s better or worse, that’s subjective.

Old 07-25-22, 05:55 AM
nyuhsuk
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I am in the camp of having this hollow sound often when I get out of my driver side door and let gravity do it's job since I park slightly sloped (2020 ES300H). I see the suggestion was to add the rubber mat material to dull the exterior sheet metal. Are there good instructions for how to get to that surface without removing the door altogether? Not looking to rip apart the entire thing to add a small sticker.
Old 07-25-22, 08:24 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 703
not insinuating. The 6ES door does not flutter in the bottom when closed. Not saying it’s better or worse, that’s subjective.
you're talking about the door flutter (Btw someone chimed in and said the 6ES doors are worse and do flutter) but i was referring to the platforms in general. anyway..

Either ways German doors are vastly superior to all. i see other things they're doing too. i looked into it.. for example the current 5 series doors are incredibly made and damped. the entire panel is covered in a lay-on liquid sheet. E Class doors have almost full coverage but with stick on, similar to the little square we get with our doors. maybe that'll be the difference between reducing flutter 50% to nearly completely. more rubber.

Old 04-18-24, 03:30 AM
sam89
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello sir,
My 2008 GS rear doors also make this hollow echo sound its like the door is empty from the inside.
If I seal the door from the inside like your #3 picture (the one with the tinfoil like material) the sound should be tight and "clicky" instead of the drum effect?
Appreciate your help
Old 04-18-24, 05:59 AM
es250fsport
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I need a video/sound of this hollow door noise you guys are referring to.
Can some please record it?
ES has the most solid doors I have seen in my life....
Old 04-18-24, 08:16 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by es250fsport

future 8ES needs more support for the door skin. the skin is what flops around making it feel and sound the way it does. typically the way lexus does doors is a holdover from old ways.

here's an example of a well supported and heavily reinforced door from a different make of car (top) vs the ES door on bottom. the green is the noise/sound mitigation stuff that supports the skin. red is safety/structural.

Old 04-18-24, 08:47 AM
Paddler213
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by es250fsport
I need a video/sound of this hollow door noise you guys are referring to.
Can some please record it?
This is an old thread. Our 2024 ESh doors close very nicely, very solidly, not hollow, tinny, etc.
The following users liked this post:
landonm86 (04-21-24)
Old 04-19-24, 09:09 AM
Eggroll96
10th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

2019 here. Doors are definitely hollow, tinny and flutter when closed.
The following 2 users liked this post by Eggroll96:
GS350Miami (04-20-24), landonm86 (04-21-24)
Old 04-19-24, 02:04 PM
ConanTheLibrarian
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

'24 here... it closes solid, quiet, thunk. Love it.

I have used tinters in the past that do take the door panel off. I was surprised... but seen it with my own eyes. Maybe they screwed something up putting it back together.
Old 04-19-24, 03:07 PM
Eggroll96
10th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I disagree. I’ve worked on car audio for a good amount of my life, I know that the sheet metal inside my es model’s doors barely have any bracing. I’ll have to take it apart and add about 25% coverage of deadener
Old 05-08-24, 11:02 AM
Lesley248
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Been spiraling down a rabbit hole for the past month and finally put on some sound deadening on my doors. Purchased the Amazon Basics 9.8x15.7 (34pcs) and was able to do all 4 doors with less than half of the box. Was working in a tight driveway for the project so wasn't able to cut the most perfect pieces to fit in every nook but I probably covered 75-80% of the insides, opposite side of the exterior sheet metal. Primarily focused on the flat sections and also added some pieces to the flat parts of the plastic cover.

If you're complaining about a hollow door sound, do it and it'll feel like a brand new car. You hear such a difference when you close the door and the tap test. Did a drive test and I would say I think I heard a bit of a difference? Was driving around during rush hour. I was using the Decibel X app to measure and recall it was around 61-63ish db at 30mph~ and was around 68-70~(?) at 65mph. Could be off by a little bit.

I know people say that double layering butyl deadening won't give you any more deadening but if you want your door to from a clank to a solid thud, add a second half *** layer to it. I had a 3/4 of a sheet leftover and didn't have anything to put it on so I cut it in half and stuck it on as a 2nd layer.
Old 06-01-24, 06:31 PM
Jedibowls
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Flutter

I just bought a 2021 ES 350, 37K and all the doors except the drivers door are solid. The drivers door is the one with a flutter. This seems like a mfg defect to me. I may talk with the dealer and see if they will do anything. Thank you
Old 06-02-24, 05:44 AM
landonm86
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jedibowls
I just bought a 2021 ES 350, 37K and all the doors except the drivers door are solid. The drivers door is the one with a flutter. This seems like a mfg defect to me. I may talk with the dealer and see if they will do anything. Thank you
Back in 2021 when I purchased my new ES, I returned to the dealer after a few days to point out the disconcerting flutter in the drivers door when shut. I was told all of them are that way and the RX are even worse. Nothing was done. But I have noticed in the last couple of years that the current model years have resolved this issue.
Old 06-02-24, 06:13 AM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 316 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Lesley248
Been spiraling down a rabbit hole for the past month and finally put on some sound deadening on my doors. Purchased the Amazon Basics 9.8x15.7 (34pcs) and was able to do all 4 doors with less than half of the box. Was working in a tight driveway for the project so wasn't able to cut the most perfect pieces to fit in every nook but I probably covered 75-80% of the insides, opposite side of the exterior sheet metal. Primarily focused on the flat sections and also added some pieces to the flat parts of the plastic cover.

If you're complaining about a hollow door sound, do it and it'll feel like a brand new car. You hear such a difference when you close the door and the tap test. Did a drive test and I would say I think I heard a bit of a difference? Was driving around during rush hour. I was using the Decibel X app to measure and recall it was around 61-63ish db at 30mph~ and was around 68-70~(?) at 65mph. Could be off by a little bit.

I know people say that double layering butyl deadening won't give you any more deadening but if you want your door to from a clank to a solid thud, add a second half *** layer to it. I had a 3/4 of a sheet leftover and didn't have anything to put it on so I cut it in half and stuck it on as a 2nd layer.

How was your experience with removing and reinstalling the door cards? That is the one point that makes me hesitate, the removal of all the clips (without breaking them) and getting it all back together.

Quick Reply: hollow door noise