ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

ML audio system revision

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-19, 01:57 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,299 Likes on 904 Posts
Smile ML audio system revision

I took my car in today for the 6 month checkup. While there I had an opportunity to speak with the SM and asked him, among other subjects, if he was aware of complaints regarding the ML audio system. He stated that he was aware and that Lexus was aware of the dissatisfaction of some owners who had purchased the system. He stated that Lexus was planning a "revision" of the ML system to improve the sound complaints and that it would be retroactive. I don't know what "revision" means and I don't even know if he was slinging BS at me. Have to wait and see.

Just passing this along to those who have an interest.
The following 2 users liked this post by bc6152:
Drivelex (06-18-19), LexNYC83 (03-17-20)
Old 06-18-19, 07:56 PM
Drivelex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is so encouraging. Before my Lexus ES 350 I had an Audi A4 with Bang and Olufsen, incredible sound. Please post if you hear any updates.
Old 06-25-19, 04:54 PM
LAKUDZU
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
I took my car in today for the 6 month checkup. While there I had an opportunity to speak with the SM and asked him, among other subjects, if he was aware of complaints regarding the ML audio system. He stated that he was aware and that Lexus was aware of the dissatisfaction of some owners who had purchased the system. He stated that Lexus was planning a "revision" of the ML system to improve the sound complaints and that it would be retroactive. I don't know what "revision" means and I don't even know if he was slinging BS at me. Have to wait and see.

Just passing this along to those who have an interest.
Good to hear, but I'm a little skeptical. Took mine in for the first service the first week of June and was told by the sales manager that he hadn't really heard of the ML system being a problem, and suggested that I continue to contact the 800 number and complain. Funny, but the service rep I first reported it to when dropping off the car, admitted it was a major problem, and was said "it was going to be a nightmare for Lexus".

I guess the good news is that the folks at my local dealership don't typically have a clue when these issues have popped up in prior vehicles, so there may be hope.

Every basic intermediate or midsize car I've rented in the past year has a better sound system than this ML. Anyone that's having the same issue, please take the time to call and complain to the 800 number.
Old 07-06-19, 09:00 AM
Zumvoll
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not have the ML audio system in my 2019 ES350 Luxury but the sound system in my ES is hideous. No volume from rear speakers and I told my Tech and Salesman that if I had known how bad it was I wouldn't have bought the car. Sure I listened to the system while test driving but I did not sit in the read seats to hear the lack of sound coming from the rear of the car. My salesman said it was a known problem and they had reported dissatisfaction to Lexus. He even let me listen to an ES with the ML system. It's almost as bad. I would have been more ticked if I had shelled out the bucks for an audio system upgrade. My wife's 2015 RX 350 sounds much better than my 2019 ES. Love everything else about the ES but now I'm going to have to shell out coin to pay for a complete sound system.
Old 07-07-19, 04:59 AM
ccuttner
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed it too -- interesting that my driver-side speaker almost sounds like the cone is ruptured when listening to some SiriusXM channels -- but better on some local HD Radio channels. Interestingly, the streaming Alexa/Amazon Music sounds better than I thought it should.

Thus, if not all sources consistently, it could be some kind of DSP software download.... these days everything seems relegated to some kind of software patch. (So much for initial quality control vs. time to market).
The following users liked this post:
Zumvoll (07-07-19)
Old 07-07-19, 06:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I wouldnt hold my breath lol
Hifiman1 (07-12-19)
Old 07-07-19, 08:03 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,813 Posts

The challenge for those that hate the system is it is all subjective. Plenty owners love the system so I doubt Lexus will make changes based on subjectivity.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
Hifiman1 (07-12-19), kalel2127 (07-08-19)
Old 07-07-19, 09:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I still contend that the main issue with the system is what you're listening to. Compressed streaming audio, MP3s and satellite radio aren't very good quality, and my experience having the same car without ML and then with ML is that these lower quality sources actually sound WORSE with the ML. Its like watching an old SD TV show on a 4K HDR OLED TV.

Try downloading TIDAL on a trial, make sure you have the HiFi subscription and have the settings on the APP set to MASTER. Then plug your phone in via USB and see how THAT sounds. TIDAL is the only streaming service I believe that streams music at bitrates higher than 320 KBPS. The difference in my LS with ML is substantial, and I went from being disappointed in the system to really loving it now. $20 month which isn't cheap but I cancelled XM because I cant stand listening to it now. Spotify, etc are better but not nearly the same as TIDAL. One warning, it uses a LOT of phone data.

Here's a worthwhile article:

https://www.gottabemobile.com/tidal-...y-tidalforall/

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-07-19 at 09:16 AM.
kalel2127 (07-08-19)
Old 07-07-19, 09:15 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,329 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by ccuttner
I noticed it too -- interesting that my driver-side speaker almost sounds like the cone is ruptured when listening to some SiriusXM channels -- but better on some local HD Radio channels. Interestingly, the streaming Alexa/Amazon Music sounds better than I thought it should.

Thus, if not all sources consistently, it could be some kind of DSP software download.... these days everything seems relegated to some kind of software patch. (So much for initial quality control vs. time to market).
Sources are different because of the quality of signal, not DSP software.

Digital audio is just data... the more data you have, the better the music sounds. Radio broadcast and streaming services like Sirius and Amazon will give you the bare minimum of music data. The bare minimum is trash and that trash is amplified in car.

Try a CD, high quality mp3, flac, or even a stream service like Tidal and it will show what the ML system is capable of If your cone sounds ruptured with those sources... you probably have a blown speaker.
Old 07-07-19, 07:25 PM
Drivelex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might try 2 cellos cd. It’s modern and I found it brings the best out of the ml system.
Old 07-08-19, 10:34 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I still contend that the main issue with the system is what you're listening to. Compressed streaming audio, MP3s and satellite radio aren't very good quality, and my experience having the same car without ML and then with ML is that these lower quality sources actually sound WORSE with the ML. Its like watching an old SD TV show on a 4K HDR OLED TV.

Try downloading TIDAL on a trial, make sure you have the HiFi subscription and have the settings on the APP set to MASTER. Then plug your phone in via USB and see how THAT sounds. TIDAL is the only streaming service I believe that streams music at bitrates higher than 320 KBPS. The difference in my LS with ML is substantial, and I went from being disappointed in the system to really loving it now. $20 month which isn't cheap but I cancelled XM because I cant stand listening to it now. Spotify, etc are better but not nearly the same as TIDAL. One warning, it uses a LOT of phone data.

Here's a worthwhile article:

https://www.gottabemobile.com/tidal-...y-tidalforall/

I have been a long time user of Spotify but will definitely give Tidal a try. I'm sure there's an option where you can download the music in order to save data for those that don't have unlimited data plans. I'll provide an update after a few days of listening in my car and home theater.
Old 07-08-19, 11:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

There is, you can download in HiFi or Master quality.
Old 07-09-19, 12:48 PM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts

Well, I'm a believer! After downloading a few HIFI & Master songs to my phone and listening to the difference in the ML system I canceled my Spotify subscription. HIFI songs sound better compared to the highest quality in Spotify. The Master songs are just WOW, I highly recommend using Tidal.
Old 07-09-19, 12:50 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,813 Posts

Originally Posted by kalel2127
Well, I'm a believer! After downloading a few HIFI & Master songs to my phone and listening to the difference in the ML system I canceled my Spotify subscription. HIFI songs sound better compared to the highest quality in Spotify. The Master songs are just WOW, I highly recommend using Tidal.
No thanks for $20/month. My USB sounds just fine.
Hifiman1 (07-12-19)
Old 07-09-19, 06:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kalel2127
Makes a HUGE difference. I don't listen to anything but Tidal in the car now.

I've listened to some live albums I've had for years on CD, and from iTunes etc in HiFi and Master and its truly like being there. You can hear the band shuffling around between songs, you can hear what people in the audience are saying...truly amazing.

Originally Posted by mikemu30
No thanks for $20/month. My USB sounds just fine.
Don't ever try Tidal then lol

Quick Reply: ML audio system revision