ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Screen size without navigation

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-19, 08:42 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Devinp1023
Well the reason I was asking was because the dealership that I’m buying from has two ES’s in the exterior color that I want

1. All black interior but no navigation package so it has the smaller screen

2. Brown trim and tan seats with the navigation package and bigger screen

Everything else is the same: blindspot, lane assist, heated seats, etc.

I like the black interior more than the brown interior, but I do want the bigger screen. So basically I have to make a choice on whether I want the interior I like better or the bigger screen
Don’t compromise. My dealer found the colors I wanted last Thursday from another dealer and the car is supposed to be delivered this week. I did want one with triple beam headlights and had to let that go, but they were able to find one with every other option/color I was looking for. Oh, and I agree with other comments here, go for the 12” display with nav. It also offers some interesting benefits by allowing for expanded information on screens other than nav specific displays.
Old 06-24-19, 08:22 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 866 Likes on 653 Posts

The Weather Channel with forecasts and a color coded Map is one additional feature
that comes with the 12" navigation screen.
Old 06-24-19, 09:04 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts

I think out here on the west coast it's a different story in regards to navigation. When I was looking to purchase my vehicle early this year I found that many dealerships in my area sold the ES without navigation. I didn't care much if it came with or without it since my priority was the exterior and interior colors. At that time there was only 1 vehicle in a 100 miles radius that matched my choice of colors and it happened to have an 8" ML system.

Most of my friends and family opt out of purchasing vehicles with navigation since it's an option that will hardly be used. I think having access to unlimited data plans on cell phones and Apple Carplay, built-in navigation is a thing of the past.
Old 06-24-19, 11:59 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by kalel2127
I think out here on the west coast it's a different story in regards to navigation. When I was looking to purchase my vehicle early this year I found that many dealerships in my area sold the ES without navigation. I didn't care much if it came with or without it since my priority was the exterior and interior colors. At that time there was only 1 vehicle in a 100 miles radius that matched my choice of colors and it happened to have an 8" ML system.

Most of my friends and family opt out of purchasing vehicles with navigation since it's an option that will hardly be used. I think having access to unlimited data plans on cell phones and Apple Carplay, built-in navigation is a thing of the past.
As long as you can project the phone on the screen. I hate using my phone for NAV and as an Android user, Im out of luck with projection.
Old 06-24-19, 12:46 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Waze via Apple Carplay is much better than the built in navigation. While I do have a built in navigation unit I generally use Waze if I need directions.
Old 06-24-19, 12:56 PM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
As long as you can project the phone on the screen. I hate using my phone for NAV and as an Android user, Im out of luck with projection.
Ah yes, it's easy for me to forget about Android since I have had every other iPhone for more than 10 years now. I enjoy very much how Apple Maps and even Google Maps are projected on to the screen. With Apple Maps, all notifications are sent to my Apple watch which makes it even more convenient.

I plan to jailbreak my current iPhone in September once the new iPhone is released. Once jailbroken I will be able to mirror my screen not just certain apps.

I wish you all Android users good luck!
Old 06-24-19, 01:51 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

Wait a minute! I thought that our new cars (2019) had Android Auto. Actually, I haven't even used the in-car navigation system yet ( since December) but was under the impression that my car had it. Hmmm. But then I don't have unlimited data either so I probably wouldn't be using it anyway... I just bring my dash top Garmin portable along when needed...
Old 06-24-19, 02:37 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
Wait a minute! I thought that our new cars (2019) had Android Auto. Actually, I haven't even used the in-car navigation system yet ( since December) but was under the impression that my car had it. Hmmm. But then I don't have unlimited data either so I probably wouldn't be using it anyway... I just bring my dash top Garmin portable along when needed...
Crapple Carplay YES. Android Auto NO.
Old 06-24-19, 02:45 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Crapple Carplay YES. Android Auto NO.
I just went onto the Lexus web site and looked for AA. They said AA would be available "in the future"...
Old 06-26-19, 07:26 PM
Batmite
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kalel2127
I think out here on the west coast it's a different story in regards to navigation.

I think having access to unlimited data plans on cell phones and Apple Carplay, built-in navigation is a thing of the past.
Totally agree. Here in Orange County it’s pretty easy to find tons of non-nav cars. And with Apple Car Play, provided one has an iPhone, who needs it?

I lease, so I give no concern to selling car later. I’ll likely not even meet the 3 year mark. I have what doctors call “new car smell addiction.”

Loving my F Sport with ML and no nav.
🦇