ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Lexus Nav vs. Waze

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-19, 07:07 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Lexus Nav vs. Waze

I may be wrong, but I think the consensus is that Waze is a better Nav app than the native Lexus Nav. I certainly wouldn't be considered a "Power User" by any stretch, so I'm interested in specific observations from more experienced users. For example, adding stops to live routes is something I just don't do because the only time I think of it is when I need to do it while driving.

I think Lexus has done a decent job of fixing their Nav so far, but they still have a few issues to address. Mostly, it's just clumsy. In past generations, my biggest complaints were having to pay (through the nose) for map updates, and using the voice to interface with the nav has NEVER worked for me. Both of these complaints have been addressed in our ES, but more work is needed. Some of the things you can't do while driving just seem dumb, but I sort of get the distracted driving issue. I think Lexus gets a bit carried away with it, though.

I can't find a flaw with Waze itself. I don't like having to plug my phone into the car for Apple CarPlay, and I wish it would display on the head up display. There are things I still can't figure out (sharing routes, destinations, and progress) but I'm somewhat confident that I could if I really tried. I haven't used Waze to find gas stations and places to stop for food or other unplanned stops while on a road trip, so I'm not sure how well that works, either. Mostly, the almost real-time traffic updates and resulting reroutes are what makes Waze the best I've ever used for actual navigation. I just have to convince myself to trust it.

I'm headed out for a few days in New Mexico next week. It's about 5 hours away, but we'll probably take back roads with a stop or 2 along the way to turn it into a 6 or 8 hour drive. I plan to play with Nav along the way to get a better idea of how both work, but I may decide to use Lexus destination assist just because it's easy and I can (until it expires)

The truth is, I grew up using maps, so ANY Nav seems awesome to me! Remember AAA Trip-Tiks?

Last edited by User 41924; 06-26-19 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-26-19, 07:32 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

The real time updates is what sets Waze apart. I've started using Waze even just on the 15 mile trip downtown. The downside of Waze is local, as we know all the back ways to get somewhere since our area has seen immense growth, but Waze directs folks along these back routes as well. I read that a neighborhood in CA has been falsely reporting accidents to direct folks away from them.

I do remember Trip-Tiks, in fact there are probably still several somewhere in a drawer at the house.

For your trip you might try an app that was shown on What the Tech, a segment on a local weekend morning news show. The free app Roadtrippers was mentioned. It will suggest trips that folks have uploaded, or you plug in your trip and it gives you suggestions for stops along the way.
Old 06-26-19, 09:26 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

After using WAZE a few times to understand it, I find that I use the factory system about 90% of the time. I do use WAZE for long trips but locally it just seems too much hassle for little gain.
Old 06-26-19, 11:33 AM
Steve300h
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm fairly sure the the Lexus Nav was coded by Marcus Brody during a drug fueled bender. Waze on the other hand just works, it's not always perfect but it works.
Old 06-26-19, 11:35 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,298 Likes on 903 Posts

I use a Garmin with free map updates every 4 months (for life) and up to the minute traffic reports. I can get phone calls thru it and use voice control to select features. It cost $250.00...
I can't see paying $150.00 - $200.00 for a Lexus map update. I do not have unlimited data with the cell phone and therefore cannot keep Waze, Google maps, or any other phone related navigation system on for hours... Also Lexus has seen fit NOT to provide Android Auto in my $53,000.00 car so that's out as well. Fortunately for me I don't require navigation very often
as I hate driving on long trips and am no longer employed...
Old 06-27-19, 09:40 AM
1stTimeLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I use Waze for my daily commutes because it provides updates to congestions, speed traps, and re-routes far more quickly than my factory-installed nav. For the few road trips I've taken I use factory-installed navigation because I like that I can see upcoming exits (particularly rest stops for the old and young), gas stations and food options. Waze requires too much eyes off the road for those features.
Old 06-27-19, 01:42 PM
CashGap
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stTimeLex
I use Waze for my daily commutes because it provides updates to congestions, speed traps, and re-routes far more quickly than my factory-installed nav. For the few road trips I've taken I use factory-installed navigation because I like that I can see upcoming exits (particularly rest stops for the old and young), gas stations and food options. Waze requires too much eyes off the road for those features.
Similar... I use Waze for daily commute simply to avoid crashes etc. 40 miles each way, has saved me many times.

On long trips, Waze on the phone in phone holder for navigation, factory Nav on (but not navigating) for exits, gas, food.

As an aside...

I run Waze on an old iPad (red arrow) at all times in my patrol car. It's great, because it zooms in to show detailed street names at slow speeds and zooms out to show more area at higher speeds.

I can't tell you how often I'll drive down a road a few miles, turn around to come back, and hear "Police reported ahead". I always mumble "Yeah, I know...".

The following 2 users liked this post by CashGap:
1stTimeLex (06-27-19), dklanecky1 (06-28-19)
Old 07-03-19, 01:34 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 862 Likes on 650 Posts

If you look up "Distracted Driver" in the dictionary...crashgap's (sic) photo will be there
The following users liked this post:
dklanecky1 (07-04-19)