ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Questions on Wheels and MPG - ES vs F sport

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-19, 07:35 AM
xrenjami
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on Wheels and MPG - ES vs F sport

I was wondering if anyone here has come across anything that would help explain the 2mpg highway difference between the base and F sport models. The only thing I can find that might help explain is the 19” wheels on the F Sport, but that seems like quite a difference to be explained by a 1 or 2 inch wheel size jump. All the specs I can find show the same gear ratios and final drive ratios as being the same. And weight isn’t a significant difference either. Thoughts?

I really like the look of the F sport, but I’m not a big fan of bigger wheel sizes. They almost always tend to ride worse - I like more rubber between me and the road.

Any commentary about what your experience has been with any of the wheel sizes would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-26-19, 08:10 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by xrenjami
I was wondering if anyone here has come across anything that would help explain the 2mpg highway difference between the base and F sport models. The only thing I can find that might help explain is the 19” wheels on the F Sport, but that seems like quite a difference to be explained by a 1 or 2 inch wheel size jump. All the specs I can find show the same gear ratios and final drive ratios as being the same. And weight isn’t a significant difference either. Thoughts?

I really like the look of the F sport, but I’m not a big fan of bigger wheel sizes. They almost always tend to ride worse - I like more rubber between me and the road.

Any commentary about what your experience has been with any of the wheel sizes would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I've had no issues with the 19s on the FSport and in fact it was one of the reasons I only wanted that model - just more attractive look. As far as the low profile tires, no issue there either. I live in the NY/NJ tri state area, drive into NYC often with no issues on those horrible roads. Note sure about the MPG difference.
Old 06-26-19, 09:12 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 103 Posts

I also purchased the Fsport for the wheels, grill, IP, and interior. I'm not a fan of the standard ES or Hybrid so I didn't even give them a second thought. Recently, a friend of mine purchased a standard ES 350 for just under 40k. I drove it for about a mile and I couldn't tell a difference in regards to driving quality, the ride felt the same to me. I think that most everyone here would agree that the ES Fsport is not really a "sport" vehicle. Like most other brands Lexus slaps a sport badge and changes a few cosmetic items just to make more money.

I suggest you go to your local dealer and drive them both and don't be hesitant to put the car through its paces. The salesmen only care about their commission and will put up with almost anything you throw at them.
Old 06-26-19, 09:31 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kalel2127
I also purchased the Fsport for the wheels, grill, IP, and interior. I'm not a fan of the standard ES or Hybrid so I didn't even give them a second thought. Recently, a friend of mine purchased a standard ES 350 for just under 40k. I drove it for about a mile and I couldn't tell a difference in regards to driving quality, the ride felt the same to me. I think that most everyone here would agree that the ES Fsport is not really a "sport" vehicle. Like most other brands Lexus slaps a sport badge and changes a few cosmetic items just to make more money.

I suggest you go to your local dealer and drive them both and don't be hesitant to put the car through its paces. The salesmen only care about their commission and will put up with almost anything you throw at them.
Mine doesn't have the adaptive suspension but I suspect the ones that do have a different feel depending on the mode you're in.
Old 06-26-19, 09:56 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Mine doesn't have the adaptive suspension but I suspect the ones that do have a different feel depending on the mode you're in.
Oh yes, the difference is night and day. I used to have a Benz S-class with adaptive suspension and it was a noticeable difference between the settings. But it's an option I almost never used because on the highest setting the ride was extremely stiff, it was pointless IMO.
Old 06-26-19, 10:07 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kalel2127
Oh yes, the difference is night and day. I used to have a Benz S-class with adaptive suspension and it was a noticeable difference between the settings. But it's an option I almost never used because on the highest setting the ride was extremely stiff, it was pointless IMO.
I avoided the option just to eliminate any issues with repairs down the road - one more thing to go wrong as the car ages.
Old 06-26-19, 11:14 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Back to the original question, the difference in mileage ratings is almost certainly due to the higher rolling resistance of the wider, grippier tires. Cars that maximize economy use skinny tires with hard rubber compounds. As to ride, if everything else is equal, the tire with the lower aspect ratio will have a stiffer ride. How much stiffer is hard to predict since "everything else" is never quite equal. Tires of the same size but different brands also vary in ride comfort. Alex on Autos gave the ES350 an A+ in ride comfort and he was driving an F Sport at the time so it can't be a big issue.
Old 06-26-19, 07:10 PM
Batmite
Driver School Candidate

Is there possibly a difference in transmission tuning or logic that may be slightly more aggressive in addition to the heavier and stickier tires?
Old 06-27-19, 07:09 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Batmite
Is there possibly a difference in transmission tuning or logic that may be slightly more aggressive in addition to the heavier and stickier tires?
Probably so in Sport+ mode which I don't think is available on the base model.
Old 06-27-19, 07:48 AM
1stTimeLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I drove both F-sport and top trim with 'aero' wheels or something like that. The major difference I noted was there was slightly a bit more tire noise on the F-sport but the damping and ride isolation was nearly identical. My seat of the pants impression was that the bigger tires of the F-sport made it feel more responsive in the curves than the standard model - but that could be just a head game. As for mileage, I'm spot-on with the city rating of 22-23 mpg.
Old 06-27-19, 11:44 AM
Batmite
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Probably so in Sport+ mode which I don't think is available on the base model.
It isn’t standard on the F Sport; one must opt for the adaptive suspension to get Sport +
Old 06-27-19, 06:02 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Batmite
It isn’t standard on the F Sport; one must opt for the adaptive suspension to get Sport +
Never said it was standard. Just pointing out one possible difference between a base and FSport model.