ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Just picked up an ES 350 , this car is Incredible!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-19, 07:10 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 721 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by CJS57
Nice car! The transmission sucks if you try to drive aggressively with the harsh downshifts and some shift delays too. The car is noticeably less quick from 0-60 than the previous models. I can feel the seat extender rail under my a$$ is another *****. But the looks of the car and the compliments and overall smoothness and ergonomics make it all worthwhile.
The CVT in the 300h solves the transmission issues and I don’t feel the seat extender rails. I have heard some people claim it bothers them but I just don’t feel it. Perhaps you need more padding... My 160 lb frame seems to provide me with plenty
Old 07-23-19, 07:26 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,560 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Originally Posted by DiamondES
I know the pearl is a not easy to match when you get a scratch or damage but i always liked the pearl color and dont want to think of the negatives.

thank you
Definitely no way to get a good match with touch up - My wife's RX has a small stone chip - I bought the three stage kit but not much luck getting a clean finish.
Old 07-23-19, 07:36 AM
1stTimeLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Sport mode solves that. No seat issues in the FSport model.

I agree... I drive in Sport mode most of the time and will only tap the 'normal' mode on the highway. In sport mode I don't notice the harsh downshift nor does the transmission 'hunt' for the right gear on modest inclines.
Old 07-23-19, 08:31 AM
DiamondES
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CJS57
Nice car! The transmission sucks if you try to drive aggressively with the harsh downshifts and some shift delays too. The car is noticeably less quick from 0-60 than the previous models. I can feel the seat extender rail under my a$$ is another *****. But the looks of the car and the compliments and overall smoothness and ergonomics make it all worthwhile.
I do not drive aggressively at all, i have noticed the transmission is not too happy when you mash the pedal that is true, however i find it silky smooth when I ease into and let the power build gradually. I personally do not like the Sport mode , i like Normal in the city and ECO while cruising on the highway. I have a 70 mile round trip commute everyday, and i just put on the cruise control around 70-73mph and let the car basically drive itself with the incredible systems by Lexus. I feel this is when the car is the most happiest , going in a straight line on the highway. So when i drive it in that manner , the transmission is very happy.

Definitely no way to get a good match with touch up - My wife's RX has a small stone chip - I bought the three stage kit but not much luck getting a clean finish.
I think rock chips are inevitable unless you have an expensive ceramic coating, but im going to try to not nit pick at the tiny specs that i can only see while washing my car. Easier said then done though, crossing fingers i do not experience anything in the near future and more towards the end of my term.

Last edited by DiamondES; 07-23-19 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-23-19, 09:33 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts

I drive 90% of the time on ECO and have only felt hard shifts a few times. All of which was in the morning when the vehicle was cold. After driving a vehicle with a cvt transmission for 3 years I wasn't expecting an increase in performance from Lexus. Overall I'm very pleased with all aspects of the vehicle. If you're driving this vehicle aggressively then you're doing it wrong, ask the hybrids owners for some tips
Old 07-23-19, 09:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Congrats!

If you worry about chips I would definitely recommend a clear bra for the front. Ceramic coatings don't do anything to protect against rock chips.
The following users liked this post:
User 41924 (07-26-19)
Old 07-26-19, 01:23 PM
DiamondES
Rookie

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Congrats!

If you worry about chips I would definitely recommend a clear bra for the front. Ceramic coatings don't do anything to protect against rock chips.
Hey i was washing my car today and noticed that my front bumper has a clear bra on it already. Do not see anything in the options (window sticker) that mentions a clear bra. I do have the "Door Edge Film" option, maybe the clear bra is part of that option ? It being a $90 option i doubt the clear bra is part of this option but thank you Lexus for installing the bra, saved me some money
Old 07-26-19, 01:45 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

Hey i was washing my car today and noticed that my front bumper has a clear bra on it already. Do not see anything in the options (window sticker) that mentions a clear bra. I do have the "Door Edge Film" option, maybe the clear bra is part of that option ? It being a $90 option i doubt the clear bra is part of this option but thank you Lexus for installing the bra, saved me some money
Lexus offers a paint protection film package for about $500, but it only covers the front portion of the hood and the front portions of the front feathers, and that doesn't really offer much protection. Good protection coverage would involve the full hood, full front bumper, full front fenders, mirrors, and possibly other areas, including, perhaps, the A pillars, the door handle cups, and the leading edge of the roof. Depending on who has done the work, what product is being used, and your ability to negotiate a discount, such a complete package is likely to cost anywhere from around $800 to as much as $2500.

Still, as others have said, if you want protection against stone nicks, paint protection film is the way to go. A ceramic coating will not offer protection against stone nicks.

Last edited by lesz; 07-26-19 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-26-19, 02:59 PM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Hey, i just picked up a new 2019 ES 350, this is my fourth Lexus and second ES, but this new model is on another level. I drove it about 50 miles home , and i have never driven a more comfortable and well mannered car before.

My previous vehicles were a 2016 Lexus GS 350 , 2016 Lexus ES 350 and 2017 Lexus RC 350. My friends call me Mr. Negative Equity but hey who cares right. After having lots of experience in the Lexus brand , i believe they really hit it out of the park with the ES. I can only imagine how incredible the LS is which the ES is based on.

With the Lane Tracing system , the car virtually drives itself on the highway with very little to no input from the driver. The cabin is extremely well insulated, you really can barely hear anything. And the 302 hp 6 cylinder is smoother and more powerful than ever. You cannot feel any gear changes what so ever.

If anyone is in the market for the ES , don't think twice and get it , you wont be disappointed.
We took ours on an 800 mile vacation trip a week or 2 ago, and I feel the same way! Awesome car! 9 hours the first day (a couple of sightseeing stops), and I wasn't even tired when we arrived. We had a 2010 RX 350, that I thought was the best road trip car I've ever driven. Our 2013 RX 450 is better, and the ES is best of them all!

I've noticed the issue with weird shifts with slightly aggressive driving, but they aren't nearly as bad as my '16 NX 200t and I'm adjusting my expectations. I've not tried using sport mode as a possible solution, but I will. It's just that it's a pain having to change it to sport every time I drive.
Old 07-26-19, 03:09 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Woodrow
We took ours on an 800 mile vacation trip a week or 2 ago, and I feel the same way! Awesome car! 9 hours the first day (a couple of sightseeing stops), and I wasn't even tired when we arrived. We had a 2010 RX 350, that I thought was the best road trip car I've ever driven. Our 2013 RX 450 is better, and the ES is best of them all!

I've noticed the issue with weird shifts with slightly aggressive driving, but they aren't nearly as bad as my '16 NX 200t and I'm adjusting my expectations. I've not tried using sport mode as a possible solution, but I will. It's just that it's a pain having to change it to sport every time I drive.
One twist is really a pain? I do it by habit everybtime I hit START.
Old 07-26-19, 04:56 PM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts

One twist is really a pain? I do it by habit everybtime I hit START.
Can't you also just move the shifter to the left?
Old 07-26-19, 05:59 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kalel2127
Can't you also just move the shifter to the left?
You mean manual mode - I dont believe that changes from normal to sport.
Old 07-27-19, 02:21 PM
DiamondES
Rookie

I think the Sport mode is only for show , because if they designed the ES with just Normal and ECO mode , all the youtubers and reviewers would go nuts. Ive been in Sport mode few times and i didn't like it at all. The ES is far from being a sports car, so if you drive it as it was designed to be driven , the transmission and drivetrain are very happy. But you cannot drive the ES like a M3 and say the transmission is jerky or is no good. Honestly, they shouldn't have even put any paddle shifters on the ES.

When you put the shifter in manual mode, S1 S2 S3 etc... is how the gears are displayed but i do not think you are fully in Sports mode because the tachometer does not change to red display.

Last edited by DiamondES; 07-27-19 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-27-19, 02:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

The sport mode makes the transmission shift a little quicker in the ES, if you have an F Sport with the AVS suspension it will firm the suspension dampers up.
Old 07-28-19, 11:43 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The sport mode makes the transmission shift a little quicker in the ES, if you have an F Sport with the AVS suspension it will firm the suspension dampers up.
I assure you its no t for show.
Sport mode is quite noticable - nothing to do with imitating an MBMW but it changes the shift points and makes the drive much more pleasant IMO. Change to sport on the fly and you cant miss the difference.

Quick Reply: Just picked up an ES 350 , this car is Incredible!