ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

DAMN!, This Car is WAY TOO MUCH FUN to Drive!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-19, 05:48 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts
Default DAMN!, This Car is WAY TOO MUCH FUN to Drive!

I'm amazed at how exhilarating this car is to drive. Lexus really hit one out of the park when they designed this one.

It's indescribable, but I'll try. The balance between performance and luxury/comfort is perfect. There's no hesitation. The car goes where you want, when you want, effortlessly. It has a solid feel, but doesn't require much effort to drive. It handles extremely well with grace and poise. And it's quiet and serene, which sets the stage nicely to enjoy the awesome ML audio system. Who could ask for more?

The hardest part is curbing my enthusiasm.
Old 08-06-19, 06:17 PM
jaygee1
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I know right?! I keep finding excuses to run errands...we need milk, I’ll be right back....sure I can run to the bank for you dear...stamps, I’m going to the post office!

I live in sport mode, wish it would default to that from the start but it’s not that big a deal to switch it. It shifts so smoothly that it almost feels like an electric car.

Last edited by jaygee1; 08-06-19 at 06:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DavidZ (08-13-19)
Old 08-06-19, 06:17 PM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidZ
Yes, it was hard to tell how you really feel.
Poppa (08-08-19)
Old 08-06-19, 06:34 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

I know what you mean and you I think you stated it very well. Our hybrid version is a bit different than your model, and at 250 miles we are still in the honeymoon phase, but I feel much the same way. My wife and I really enjoyed our 2015 ESh, but this 2019 just takes it to another level. The smooth delivery of power and as you put it, the poised ride is really terrific. I am constantly amazed that a 4 cylinder with electric motor can deliver this much power. You cannot even tell when it transitions between electric and internal combustion. Yes, you can hear some engine noise when you really push it, but that kind of spirited driving just isn’t my style. Anyway, I agree with your impressions of the 2019 ES. Enjoy your ride, I certainly am!
Old 08-06-19, 07:10 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by jaygee1
I live in sport mode...It shifts so smoothly that it almost feels like an electric car.
There's a sport mode?! You mean it gets even better? Cool. I've got to try that one out!
TechNut (08-06-19)
Old 08-07-19, 08:13 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

I'm amazed at how exhilarating this car is to drive. Lexus really hit one out of the park when they designed this one.

It's indescribable, but I'll try. The balance between performance and luxury/comfort is perfect. There's no hesitation. The car goes where you want, when you want, effortlessly. It has a solid feel, but doesn't require much effort to drive. It handles extremely well with grace and poise. And it's quiet and serene, which sets the stage nicely to enjoy the awesome ML audio system. Who could ask for more?

The indescribable part is the synergy of how all of these great features/design elements come together to deliver an exhilarating driving experience. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
Old 08-07-19, 10:22 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

There's a sport mode?! You mean it gets even better? Cool. I've got to try that one out!
I only drive in SPORT mode. It's a bit slow in NORMAL.
Old 08-07-19, 12:03 PM
ccousens
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the difference between Sport and Normal. Is it only throttle response or is there anything else that changes?
Old 08-07-19, 12:11 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by ccousens
What is the difference between Sport and Normal. Is it only throttle response or is there anything else that changes?
Trans shift points.
Old 08-07-19, 01:20 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Page 203 of the owners manual says that, in addition to the SPORT S mode, there's a SPORT S+ mode that "Helps to ensure steering performance and driving stability by simultaneously controlling the steering and suspension in addition to the transmission and engine."
Old 08-07-19, 01:35 PM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Sport mode adjusts shift points (holds the gears a little longer), throttle mapping (feels more responsive), and steering (makes it a little heavier).

I think Sport+ is on the FSport only, but I may be mistaken. Mine is a UL, so it wouldn't have it either way. It it may only be available in other markets (Canada).
Old 08-07-19, 01:59 PM
jaygee1
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I could be wrong but I believe the Sport + is only available in F Sport units with Adaptive Variable Suspensions? Maybe someone with a non AVS F Sport can chime in and clarify?

Mine came with AVS so I have Sport + and it makes a big difference in steering and handling response even compared to sport mode.

Last edited by jaygee1; 08-07-19 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-07-19, 02:17 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by jaygee1
I could be wrong but I believe the Sport + is only available in F Sport units with Adaptive Variable Suspensions? Maybe someone with a non AVS F Sport can chime in and clarify?

Mine came with AVS so I have Sport + and it makes a big difference in steering and handling response even compared to sport mode.
You are correct. Sport S+ is only on F Sports that have AVS.
jaygee1 (08-07-19)
Old 08-07-19, 06:49 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by JDR76
You are correct. Sport S+ is only on F Sports that have AVS.
You'd think the manual would make that clear.
Old 08-07-19, 09:55 PM
lexdanbury
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel like the acceleration from stop could be smoother.
I can feel the transmission shifts in a weird and not smooth way. Have you experienced that?

Quick Reply: DAMN!, This Car is WAY TOO MUCH FUN to Drive!