ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Low Fuel Light - How far can you go?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-19, 06:56 PM
BobES2019
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Low Fuel Light - How far can you go?

Today I drove for 30 minutes after the fuel range turned to "low fuel". I was getting nervous so I pulled into the nearest gas station. To my amazement, it only took 13.1 gallons. I believe the total capacity is 15.9 gallons on the regular, non-hybrid ES. Of course it is best to fill up when you have a quarter tank, or whatever floats your boat. But occasionally I have no time to get gas and hope I can make it. Yes, a poor fuel management plan. But hey, I have been unable to get nuclear fuel rods for my ES.

So does anyone have a good idea of how far you can go once the range turns to "low fuel"? I am very happy with my ES F-spor†, but a little unhappy with the range. My previous car, the Lexus LS 430 had an amazing range of about 450 miles. Also, the 2019 IS has a 17.1 gallon fuel tank. Should not the ES have a bigger tank than the IS?

BTW, I thought that this subject would have been previously discussed. I did do a forum search, but could not find anything. If it has been discussed, would someone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks.
Old 08-10-19, 07:08 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

I can't say for sure what the case is for the 2019 ES, but, with most Lexus vehicles, there are about 3 gallons in the tank when the low fuel warning light comes on.

Also, the 2019 ES does have a smaller gas tank capacity than what was in the Generation 6 ES. The Generation 6 ES has a gas tank with a capacity of 17.2 gallons.
Old 08-11-19, 06:47 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Fill up at the halfway point and don't test it. Tanks are getting smaller due to CAFE pressures. The light comes on early by design so fools don't run out of gas.
Old 08-11-19, 06:57 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

I don’t know where these posters obtained their information (I didn’t find it in the manual), but here are a couple of threads I found with a quick search on the topic:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...nerations.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...r-fill-up.html

I have also heard that many cars today have the fuel pump in the tank so that the fuel helps keep it cooler. Running it habitually low on fuel could theoretically be harder on the pump. This seems like conjecture but you can judge for yourself.

Last edited by TechNut; 08-11-19 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-11-19, 08:59 AM
BobES2019
Driver School Candidate

Default Low Fuel Light - How far can you go

Thanks to lesz, mikemu, and TechNut for the response. My question is answered.

1) There is about 3 gallons left when the low fuel light comes on.
2) That will get you 60 to 70 miles further.
3) With all cars, it is probably not good for the fuel system to push it that far.
4) I live in Southern California where we can drive for hours and get nowhere.
5) I was spoiled by my 2004 LS 430
Old 08-11-19, 09:44 AM
LexusPV
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting you ask. I test drove a 2019 ES 350 F Sport the other day and the gas light was on at the beginning of the test. The sales guy said we had plenty of gas remaining. Three miles into the test drive (I floored the car at least 3 times) I changed the display to show "miles to zero" and there was only 1 mile remaining! We had just passed the exit to dealership and would have to drive 3 miles to get back. A mile in and the display changed from 1 mile to "Refuel" so I switched to Eco mode and we made it back to the dealership without running out of gas! Even the salesman became a little scared that we would not make it back!
Old 08-11-19, 09:58 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusPV
Interesting you ask. I test drove a 2019 ES 350 F Sport the other day and the gas light was on at the beginning of the test. The sales guy said we had plenty of gas remaining. Three miles into the test drive (I floored the car at least 3 times) I changed the display to show "miles to zero" and there was only 1 mile remaining! We had just passed the exit to dealership and would have to drive 3 miles to get back. A mile in and the display changed from 1 mile to "Refuel" so I switched to Eco mode and we made it back to the dealership without running out of gas! Even the salesman became a little scared that we would not make it back!
What? You didn't mash the gas so you could get to a refill location quicker?
Old 08-11-19, 10:16 AM
BobES2019
Driver School Candidate

Yes, interesting. My display first shows "remaining range". When it hits 20 miles remaining it changes to "low fuel". I have not seen it say "refuel". But it is possible that since I have never put more than 13.2 gallons in it, there may be 3 gallons left. So everyone can decide what they are comfortable with. I plan to refuel at a quarter tank, with my limit to get a fill up immediately when it displays "low fuel".

As far as the salesman, I would trust him about as far as I can throw the dealership.
Old 08-11-19, 11:38 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

The MILES TO E is not reality - it's programmed to encourage you to fill up well before you will run out.
Old 08-11-19, 05:05 PM
RJLsES
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Back in the day, we avoided going below 1/8th of a tank because dirt & grit on the bottom of the fuel tank could foul our carburetor jets. ;-)
Old 08-11-19, 05:41 PM
BobES2019
Driver School Candidate

I am old enough to remember "back in the day". I suppose that dirt can still be pumped in from the gas station pump. If so, is the fuel filter system able to filter this out?

I guess I am a little paranoid about these things. Whenever I have the oil changed, I check to see if the oil plug is leaking. And then I check it again once I get home. A good friend took his one year old Ram truck to the dealer for an oil change, and he did have a a very slow leak which lead to a seized engine. He had a big fight with the dealer and lost. He never mentioned anything about a low oil light coming on, so honestly I have some doubts about the whole story.

Has anybody have other things that they keep an eye on. I don't think there is anything wrong with a little vigilance.
Old 08-11-19, 06:01 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by BobES2019
I am old enough to remember "back in the day". I suppose that dirt can still be pumped in from the gas station pump. If so, is the fuel filter system able to filter this out?

I guess I am a little paranoid about these things. Whenever I have the oil changed, I check to see if the oil plug is leaking. And then I check it again once I get home. A good friend took his one year old Ram truck to the dealer for an oil change, and he did have a a very slow leak which lead to a seized engine. He had a big fight with the dealer and lost. He never mentioned anything about a low oil light coming on, so honestly I have some doubts about the whole story.

Has anybody have other things that they keep an eye on. I don't think there is anything wrong with a little vigilance.
I never get gas at a gas station while they're getting their tanks filled or if they've gotten their tanks filled within the last half hour or so. Somebody once told me that the dirt/sediment at the bottom of their tanks gets stirred up during the process and that dirt gets into your tank.
Old 08-12-19, 06:05 AM
wdlugitch
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BobES2019
Yes, interesting. My display first shows "remaining range". When it hits 20 miles remaining it changes to "low fuel". I have not seen it say "refuel". But it is possible that since I have never put more than 13.2 gallons in it, there may be 3 gallons left. So everyone can decide what they are comfortable with. I plan to refuel at a quarter tank, with my limit to get a fill up immediately when it displays "low fuel".

As far as the salesman, I would trust him about as far as I can throw the dealership.
"As far as the salesman, I would trust him about as far as I can throw the dealership." That is the truest statement I have read on here so far.
Old 08-12-19, 07:43 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DavidZ
I never get gas at a gas station while they're getting their tanks filled or if they've gotten their tanks filled within the last half hour or so. Somebody once told me that the dirt/sediment at the bottom of their tanks gets stirred up during the process and that dirt gets into your tank.
I seriously doubt there's much risk there. Plenty cars are filling up during and right after the tanks are filled.
Old 08-12-19, 08:50 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts

I guess I'm the only one here that likes to live life on the edge...LOL. On a regular basis, I drive 30 miles past the notification of range 0. When I fuel up the most it's taken is 14.5 gallons meaning there's plenty left in there.

Quick Reply: Low Fuel Light - How far can you go?