ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2020 Lexus ES 350 Build/Arrival Date

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-19, 07:27 PM
LexusPV
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 2020 Lexus ES 350 Build/Arrival Date

Currently in process negotiating on a 2019 F Sport but does anyone know if the factory has started making the 2020's and when the vehicles will start arriving at the dealerships? I was on the Lexus website and you can now build a 2020.
Old 08-22-19, 08:13 AM
energy88
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you and have made one dealer contact. From what I gather, production of 2019's stopped in July but there are still cars in the pipeline arriving on dealer lots. Production began on 2020's in August and the official "on-sale" date is October. Supposedly there are no changes and colors remain the same. The only thing I have noticed on the build web site is that the F-Sport is $500 higher and that the blind-spot monitor is now a required option at $1,065. Freight is the same as 2019. All other packages and options looked like they remained the same to me, but I didn't look at everything versus 2019.

The dealer also said that it takes 90 to 120 days for a customer to order-in a custom optioned car.

Personally, I'm hoping that the dealer is incorrect and that we'll see some new color choices and the base radio problem will have been corrected. Otherwise, it means another $900 to get the ML radio to get an acceptable sound system. If this actually be the case, the 2020's will be in stiff competition with remaining 2019's and 2019 CPO cars.
Old 09-05-19, 04:26 PM
lilfool
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looking on the brochure of the 2020, you're right nothing really has changed except that it says android auto will be standard (but it says beginning october production) so I'm sure another update will roll out for vehicles in 2019 that don't have android auto (for those android users).
Old 09-05-19, 04:42 PM
energy88
Rookie

I haven't seen a 2020 ES brochure yet. Hoping that the Android is in the first production batch. Also hope they have fixed the base radio system. I was also under the impression that Lexus was going to touch screens instead of the little mouse pad thing. Any confirmation yet? For me, these are 3 must haves, and I need them by mid-November, or otherwise I'll be passing on their brand.
Old 09-05-19, 04:58 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Originally Posted by energy88
I haven't seen a 2020 ES brochure yet. Hoping that the Android is in the first production batch. Also hope they have fixed the base radio system. I was also under the impression that Lexus was going to touch screens instead of the little mouse pad thing. Any confirmation yet? For me, these are 3 must haves, and I need them by mid-November, or otherwise I'll be passing on their brand.
RX went to touch screen but ive not heard the ES is going that route. RX had the mouse, ES has the trackpad which actually works quite well. We have both cars just for the record. And I HATE TOUCHSCREENS for the record as well.
Old 09-05-19, 05:47 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,298 Likes on 903 Posts

And I'm not holding my breath that Lexus will make Android Auto backwards enabled. Maybe for 2020 but Lexus has a poor record of supplying technology to previous model year cars...
Old 09-05-19, 06:27 PM
lilfool
Rookie

new RX has touchpad as well as touch screens. Don’t think the ES will have touch screens. Maybe 2021. Who knows.

Originally Posted by bc6152
And I'm not holding my breath that Lexus will make Android Auto backwards enabled. Maybe for 2020 but Lexus has a poor record of supplying technology to previous model year cars...
Yes I agree however, it’s Not the case with the 2018 and 2019 pre October build date NXs and 2019 pre October build date for the ES that enabled Apple CarPlay. They pushed out an update recently (I believe in June or July of this year) for those vehicles to Enable Apple CarPlay software. So I’m sure they can push out the software for android auto. But then again I won’t be surprised if they say nah and only did it that one time this year lol.
Old 09-05-19, 06:29 PM
lilfool
Rookie

Also you can see the brochure online on Lexus.com website. When you navigate to features at the bottom or the side you will see an option for vehicle brochure and it will download as an PDF.
The following users liked this post:
energy88 (09-06-19)
Old 09-06-19, 07:00 AM
energy88
Rookie

Originally Posted by lilfool
new RX has touchpad as well as touch screens. Don’t think the ES will have touch screens. Maybe 2021. Who knows.

I've got my fingers crossed but a word search of the new 2020 pdf brochure turns up nothing. I'll have to try the touchpad to see if I like it. As for making the switch in 2021, that's like closing the barn door too late. A lot of people will be reluctant to buy a car in the third year of a new model series since the 2022 models are likely to have a significant makeover. Nobody wants to buy a car that will be an orphan in a year.

For a company that holds itself out to be a premier car company, Lexus seems to be resting on its laurels now. I see no reason why Lexus couldn't address the touch screen and stock radio issue by the second year (MY 2020) of the series. They seem to be putting themselves ahead of the customer now days.
Old 09-06-19, 07:02 AM
Jezza819
Pit Crew

It's September now and Lexus hasn't said anything yet about any changes to the ES but I don't think there will be much of anything except for maybe changing a color or two since the vehicle was new for 2019. I don't believe it will get touch screen until the next major redesign as they will have to change the dash design in general to bring the screen out to the front of the dash.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jezza819:
BarneyC (09-13-19), energy88 (09-06-19)
Old 09-06-19, 08:30 AM
energy88
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jezza819
It's September now and Lexus hasn't said anything yet about any changes to the ES but I don't think there will be much of anything except for maybe changing a color or two since the vehicle was new for 2019. I don't believe it will get touch screen until the next major redesign as they will have to change the dash design in general to bring the screen out to the front of the dash.
So far, I haven't seen in the brochure where they changed even 1 color or interior. Car appears to be 99% carryover. You may have a point about the location of the screen on the dash and the ergonomics for short-armed-challenged persons reaching it.
Old 09-06-19, 09:23 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,298 Likes on 903 Posts

I've got my fingers crossed but a word search of the new 2020 pdf brochure turns up nothing. I'll have to try the touchpad to see if I like it. As for making the switch in 2021, that's like closing the barn door too late. A lot of people will be reluctant to buy a car in the third year of a new model series since the 2022 models are likely to have a significant makeover. Nobody wants to buy a car that will be an orphan in a year.

For a company that holds itself out to be a premier car company, Lexus seems to be resting on its laurels now. I see no reason why Lexus couldn't address the touch screen and stock radio issue by the second year (MY 2020) of the series. They seem to be putting themselves ahead of the customer now days.
It took Lexus 6 years to make substantial changes to their ES models. 2013 to 2019... I would bet that no major changes will be made to the ES before 2025. Not after only 3 years...
Old 09-07-19, 01:41 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,812 Posts

It took Lexus 6 years to make substantial changes to their ES models. 2013 to 2019... I would bet that no major changes will be made to the ES before 2025. Not after only 3 years...
Yes almost no chance there will be major changes that soon. Look at RX - 16 was the redesign and 20 still the same exact design.
Old 09-07-19, 04:26 PM
energy88
Rookie

What I was speaking of was the mid-cycle model refresh like occurred between 2015 and 2016. If the latest platform is on the same 6 year cycle, it will likely be 2022 before cosmetic changes (grill, dash, tail lights, etc) will be made to carry the current platform thru 2024.

Example: https://autoweek.com/article/car-new...-facelift-2016

Last edited by energy88; 09-07-19 at 04:28 PM. Reason: add link cite
Old 09-07-19, 04:40 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

What I was speaking of was the mid-cycle model refresh like occurred between 2015 and 2016. If the latest platform is on the same 6 year cycle, it will likely be 2022 before cosmetic changes (grill, dash, tail lights, etc) will be made to carry the current platform thru 2024.

Example: https://autoweek.com/article/car-new...-facelift-2016
With the Generation 6 ES, Lexus made some nice changes with the mid-cycle refresh. While the exterior changes, especially to the grille, were controversial, there were a number of very nice changes to the interior of the car. The stitching on the seats (for the Luxury and UL packages) was more elaborate and nicer looking. On the center console, the piano black trim was replaced with wood trim (also for the Luxury and UL packages), and soft surface trim was added to the perimeter of the center console. The multi-information display was upgraded to include more information. The switch plates were replaced with more attractive ones, and interior lighting was switched to LED lighting. The overall effect of those changes was to give the interior of the car a more up-scale feeling.

I'm sure that, with the 2019 ES, Lexus has held back some nice things that will be included in a mid-cycle refresh. I'm looking forward to seeing what they might be in a couple of years.

Quick Reply: 2020 Lexus ES 350 Build/Arrival Date