ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Android Auto Coming Oct 2019 Production

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-19, 07:48 PM
DaRacerz
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If we want Android Auto on the 2019 ES, it's time to make a lot more noise by contacting Lexus (https://www.lexus.com/contact). As a community, maybe we can try convince Lexus to get a rightfully deserved update for the American and Canadian markets. The hardware is there, Australia 2019 ES now have AA and CarPlay after an update. Maybe with enough pressure Lexus will release the update.
The following 2 users liked this post by DaRacerz:
2019ES350 (12-26-19), AnthonyMJ (12-27-19)
Old 12-26-19, 09:35 PM
2019ES350
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Exclamation Writing Campaign Asking Lexus For Android Auto On 2019 ES 350 and 300h

Originally Posted by DaRacerz
If we want Android Auto on the 2019 ES, it's time to make a lot more noise by contacting Lexus (https://www.lexus.com/contact). As a community, maybe we can try convince Lexus to get a rightfully deserved update for the American and Canadian markets. The hardware is there, Australia 2019 ES now have AA and CarPlay after an update. Maybe with enough pressure Lexus will release the update.
I agree wholeheartedly. I'm writing Lexus again today! Hope many others will do so, too.
Old 12-27-19, 04:47 AM
calgold06
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by 2019ES350
I agree wholeheartedly. I'm writing Lexus again today! Hope many others will do so, too.
Submitted an email. Start a campaign on Change.org?
Old 12-27-19, 07:35 AM
AnthonyMJ
Pole Position

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

My Spanish needs work, but does this say that the retrofit is available in Spain as well. https://www.lexusauto.es/ownership/a...d-auto/#recall
Old 12-27-19, 07:47 AM
AnthonyMJ
Pole Position

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Old 12-27-19, 09:11 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyMJ
My Spanish needs work, but does this say that the retrofit is available in Spain as well. https://www.lexusauto.es/ownership/a...d-auto/#recall
The browser can translate it:
  • VEHICLES COMPATIBLE WITH APPLE CAR PLAY ™ AND ANDROID AUTO ™

The models compatible with the installation of Apple CarPlay ™ and Android Auto ™ in your Lexus Authorized Center are:

- UX (version MY19 and MY20) produced from March 2019
    - NX (version MY18, MY19 and MY20) produced from September 2017
    - ES (version MY19 and MY20) produced from October 2018

All other Lexus models are not compatible with the installation of Apple CarPlay ™ and Android Auto ™.
  • STARTING DATES OF THE INSTALLATION CAMPAIGN

The installation campaign in its Lexus Authorized Center of the new software on compatible vehicles has begun in December 2019 for vehicles WITHOUT Navigator, and in June 2020 for vehicles WITH Navigator.

If your vehicle is compatible, we will perform the update for free on your next maintenance at your nearest Lexus Authorized Center.

The following users liked this post:
AnthonyMJ (12-27-19)
Old 12-28-19, 05:29 AM
calgold06
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Typical corporate BS response to my email:

Thank you for contacting Lexus about the possibility of having Android Auto in your 2019 ES 350. We do understand that this concern is important to you and that you have contacted Lexus previously about it.

At this time, the following 2020 My Model will be equipped with Android Auto capabilities:

• 2020 RX
• 2020 RC
• 2020 UX
• Select 2020 ES and NX (Available on select vehicles from October 2019 production)

Although we cannot promise that a retro-active update will become available for your model, please know Lexus strives to offer products and services that match our customers' diverse driving needs, as we continuously evaluate emerging technologies for use in our vehicles.

We know how valuable your time is, and appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us. Rest assured, your feedback will be documented here at the Lexus National Headquarters, where it will remain available for review by the appropriate departments.
Thank you for choosing Lexus for your driving needs. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.
The following 2 users liked this post by calgold06:
AnthonyMJ (12-30-19), bc6152 (12-28-19)
Old 01-05-20, 07:56 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

In another thread Lexus stated the following regarding retrofitting 2019 Lexus ES 350 with Android Auto. Although the answer was for Canada, it doesn't look good for us owners here in the U.S.A.

"I asked Lexus about providing the Android Auto software update on 2019 ES350. They got back to me with the following":

"As you are aware, Android Auto has become available starting with select 2020 model year Lexus vehicles. However, there are no plans to provide an update to make Android Auto available to your 2019 Lexus ES 350 or other in market vehicles.

Please be assured that market trends are closely studied to give us a better idea of what packages and options are in demand. Then based on our findings, our Product Planning Department is able to choose those vehicles and options that best suit the needs of the buying public and which options are available on which packages.

We have noted your comments regarding Android Auto and have forwarded them to the appropriate departments within Lexus Canada for information purposes."

Old 01-05-20, 08:18 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

LEXUS AUSTRALIA

Lexus has rolled out Apple CarPlay and Android Auto across its line-up, but existing owners haven't been left in the cold.

The ES mid-sized sedan and RX SUV were the first two models to get the technology in October, while the mid-sized NX SUV, range-topping LS sedan, and the RC and LC coupe line-ups have been outfitted with the system since November 1.

Finally, all UX SUVs sold from December 1 onwards will have the technology. The BMW 3 Series-rivalling IS sedan misses out though, for now.

Owners of the following models are eligible to have the technology retrofitted to their cars – it costs $249, and the work takes around an hour to complete:
  • NX produced from September 1, 2017
  • ES produced from July 4, 2018
  • RC/RC F produced from November 27, 2017
  • LC (all models)
  • LS produced from January 8, 2018
  • UX (all models)
Does anyone know exactly what Lexus Australia is doing in an hour for $249? I'm surprised that no one has figured it out and offered that service in the USA. Or does it require a licensing arrangement? If so, is there a workaround for that?
Old 01-05-20, 11:35 AM
carsareus
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

I would assume some of those costs are licensing fee's, not just charges for labor.

Originally Posted by DavidZ
Does anyone know exactly what Lexus Australia is doing in an hour for $249? I'm surprised that no one has figured it out and offered that service in the USA. Or does it require a licensing arrangement? If so, is there a workaround for that?
Old 01-05-20, 03:12 PM
2019ES350
Rookie

Default Sample Message to Lexus USA via "Contact Us" on lexus.com

I sent the following message to Lexus USA. If enough of us do that, maybe we will get some positive action on making an Android Auto retrofit available in the US. If Lexus Australia can do it, Lexus USA should be able to.

Hello Friends at Lexus --

Apple CarPlay, but NOT Android Auto, is available on my 2019 ES 350. I hope Lexus USA will do what Lexus Australia is doing:
-------------------------------
LEXUS AUSTRALIA
Lexus has rolled out Apple CarPlay and Android Auto across its line-up, but existing owners haven't been left in the cold.
The ES mid-sized sedan and RX SUV were the first two models to get the technology in October, while the mid-sized NX SUV, range-topping LS sedan, and the RC and LC coupe line-ups have been outfitted with the system since November 1.
Finally, all UX SUVs sold from December 1 onwards will have the technology. The BMW 3 Series-rivalling IS sedan misses out though, for now.

Owners of the following models are eligible to have the technology retrofitted to their cars – it costs $249, and the work takes around an hour to complete:
NX produced from September 1, 2017
ES produced from July 4, 2018
RC/RC F produced from November 27, 2017
LC (all models)
LS produced from January 8, 2018
UX (all models)
---------------------------------------
Would you please tell me if this retrofit will be offered to US Lexus owners of 2019 ES 350 like me, and, if so, when. I surely hope it will.
Many thanks in advance.

Old 01-05-20, 05:41 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by carsareus
I would assume some of those costs are licensing fee's, not just charges for labor.
This whole situation doesn't add up to me. There's clearly a lot more to this story than we know. Some questions I have: How is it that Lexus Australia has figured out how to offer the retrofit to customers, but Lexus USA hasn't figured it out yet? Or has Lexus USA figured it out but has chosen not to offer it to customers? It just doesn't make any sense to me based on what we know.

I don't think speculating and/or whining about it on this discussion board is productive. If someone is really interested, you should do some research about it. For example, how about finding out exactly what Lexus Australia is doing? And why can't the same thing be done here in the USA?

Old 01-05-20, 05:49 PM
2019ES350
Rookie

This whole situation doesn't add up to me. There's clearly a lot more to this story than we know. Some questions I have: How is it that Lexus Australia has figured out how to offer the retrofit to customers, but Lexus USA hasn't figured it out yet? Or has Lexus USA figured it out but has chosen not to offer it to customers? It just doesn't make any sense to me based on what we know.

I don't think speculating and/or whining about it on this discussion board is productive. If someone is really interested, you should do some research about it. For example, how about finding out exactly what Lexus Australia is doing? And why can't the same thing be done here in the USA?
That was the exact purpose of my writing Lexus USA. (See my post below.) I'll share whatever I hear from them.
Old 01-05-20, 05:56 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

I think that this answer from Lexus Canada from another member who asked the same question is what the answer will be here in the U.S.A.

"As you are aware, Android Auto has become available starting with select 2020 model year Lexus vehicles. However, there are no plans to provide an update to make Android Auto available to your 2019 Lexus ES 350 or other in market vehicles.

Please be assured that market trends are closely studied to give us a better idea of what packages and options are in demand. Then based on our findings, our Product Planning Department is able to choose those vehicles and options that best suit the needs of the buying public and which options are available on which packages.

We have noted your comments regarding Android Auto and have forwarded them to the appropriate departments within Lexus Canada for information purposes."

Old 01-05-20, 06:00 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

That was the exact purpose of my writing Lexus USA. (See my post below.) I'll share whatever I hear from them.
Good luck, but I don't think you'll get anything more than a "thank you for your feedback" form letter response. See post #67 above.

If you're really interested in finding out the backstory here, I think you'll need to do a lot more than just emailing Lexus and saying "pretty please."
The following users liked this post:
bc6152 (01-05-20)

Quick Reply: Android Auto Coming Oct 2019 Production