ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Android Auto Coming Oct 2019 Production

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-19, 10:25 AM
gregwils
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Android Auto Coming Oct 2019 Production

I sent an email to Lexus Customer Service regarding Android Auto and was presented with several FAQ choices after I submitted my question. I selected the following one.

Which Lexus vehicles support Android Auto?

The following Lexus vehicles will support Android Auto™:

2020 model year: RX, RC, UX, and select ES* and NX*

* On the 2020 ES and NX, available on select vehicles from October 2019 production

https://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answ...ail/a_id/10491

It states nothing about backward compatibility, so hard to know what the nature of the change requires. I would not think it's hardware-based, so perhaps this only implies 'from the factory' in October. Hope backward compatibility is still on the upgrade road map.
Old 09-10-19, 05:07 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

I wonder what they mean by "select vehicles?" How are they going to decide which cars get AA? Just cars with Nav?
Old 09-12-19, 01:18 PM
gregwils
Driver School Candidate

I recently read an article from February that suggested that 'select' referred to vehicles equipped with Enform 2.0. However, I think every ES and NX comes standard with it, so not entirely sure.
Old 09-12-19, 01:32 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

With all the gadgets available to a driver with our Lexus cars, I'm confused as to what benefit AA would be. AFAIK it is merely a mirror image of your Android smartphone screen and definitely another distraction for the driver. Texts and phone calls can be made by voice, incoming texts and phone calls by pushing a button. For me, I think that there are too many distractions already. I find that I'm taking my eyes off driving to use the touchpad. By using the Android screen I would think you'd have to pull over and stop. Not criticizing those who want it or plan to use it, just don't see the real benefit. My 2019 UL does not have AA and I have no concern if it would be installed by an update later by Toyota...
Old 09-13-19, 07:17 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
AFAIK it is merely a mirror image of your Android smartphone screen and definitely another distraction for the driver.
Not really, especially your assertion that it is nothing more than screen mirroring. To quote from the Android Auto FAQ at https://www.android.com/auto/faq/:

Android Auto is a simpler way to use your phone in the car. Whether on your phone screen or on your car display, Android Auto was designed with safety and convenience in mind. With larger touch targets, a simplified interface, and your Google Assistant, it’s designed to minimize distraction so you can stay focused on the road

I had the opportunity to use it on a rental car for two weeks this winter, and found it significantly less distracting than trying to accomplish the same tasks on a Bluetooth connected smartphone without AA.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bichon:
Dampfwalze (10-23-19), dklanecky1 (09-14-19)
Old 09-13-19, 07:28 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

With all the gadgets available to a driver with our Lexus cars, I'm confused as to what benefit AA would be. AFAIK it is merely a mirror image of your Android smartphone screen and definitely another distraction for the driver. Texts and phone calls can be made by voice, incoming texts and phone calls by pushing a button. For me, I think that there are too many distractions already. I find that I'm taking my eyes off driving to use the touchpad. By using the Android screen I would think you'd have to pull over and stop. Not criticizing those who want it or plan to use it, just don't see the real benefit. My 2019 UL does not have AA and I have no concern if it would be installed by an update later by Toyota...
While i understand your position, having access to only the most critical parts of your phone on the driver view mounted screen is probably better then looking at the phone anywhere else.

For a techn standpoint, AA/CP are not a mirrorlink tech, its a graphical frontend that rides atop lexus entune. This frontend, only allows specific functions on the screen, so no ones going to be playing a mobile game, or snapchatting their favorite emojie etc. Most importantly, you have a voice assistant from your phone, which actually works.
Old 09-14-19, 05:51 PM
gregwils
Driver School Candidate

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...-es-350-a.html
Old 09-15-19, 06:57 AM
olldblue
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Android to be retrofitted

An Avalon salesman told me yesterday that Android would be electronically retrofitted to the 2019 - 2020
Avalons.

That suggests that the same would be true for the ES 300H.

mike
Old 09-15-19, 07:48 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by olldblue
An Avalon salesman told me yesterday that Android would be electronically retrofitted to the 2019 - 2020
Avalons.

That suggests that the same would be true for the ES 300H.

mike
I won't believe it until I read it from an authoritative source. Car salesman are probably the least reliable source for information about upcoming releases.
The following 3 users liked this post by DavidZ:
bc6152 (11-23-19), dklanecky1 (09-15-19), Tonyace19 (05-12-21)
Old 09-15-19, 01:23 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidZ
I won't believe it until I read it from an authoritative source. Car salesman are probably the least reliable source for information about upcoming releases.
I agree, these guys know little to nothing about upcoming features and don't really care... We went through this very episode when Lexus was brining out the new generation 6 cars with all the new changes and features. You'll know the new features - and the ones left out - when the cars start to come out... IMO there will be no touch screen in the ES models.
Either 300 or 350... We'll see...
Old 09-15-19, 01:49 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

I agree, these guys know little to nothing about upcoming features and don't really care... We went through this very episode when Lexus was brining out the new generation 6 cars with all the new changes and features. You'll know the new features - and the ones left out - when the cars start to come out... IMO there will be no touch screen in the ES models.
Either 300 or 350... We'll see...
I think there are 3 chances the 2020 ES will have a touchscreen -- fat, slim and none.

Also, one must keep in mind when talking with a car salesman, that their first priority is to sell you a car. The truth? Well, that one is not even on the priority list.
Old 09-15-19, 03:56 PM
gregwils
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DavidZ
I think there are 3 chances the 2020 ES will have a touchscreen -- fat, slim and none.

Also, one must keep in mind when talking with a car salesman, that their first priority is to sell you a car. The truth? Well, that one is not even on the priority list.
Agree as well. However, touch screen requires physical and hardware changes, Android Auto is a software and perhaps licensing upgrade. The latter might be the knife to the heart. Lexus would most likely need to pay Google OEM licensing fees against revenue that they have already recognized.

I would love to pick off a left over 2019 F Sport, but will sadly forgoe the discounts for Android Auto.
Old 09-15-19, 04:31 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Yo do know that you can just retrofit AA and CP for less right? Multiple vendors are pushing out stuff, most popuilar is the RX forum or the most recent beatsonic launch?
Old 09-15-19, 06:40 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

How do you know when a salesman is lying? Lips are moving.
The following users liked this post:
Dampfwalze (10-23-19)
Old 09-16-19, 05:31 AM
gregwils
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Yo do know that you can just retrofit AA and CP for less right? Multiple vendors are pushing out stuff, most popuilar is the RX forum or the most recent beatsonic launch?
Thanks. I was not aware of the Beatsonic kit. I just took a quick look and it appears as though it's a good alternative. However, I am not sure how $500 for the kit plus installation labor (or a willingness to disassemble your new dash) would be less than the factory equipped or a dealer USB upgrade. For me, it's just a matter of getting confirmation that MY2019 can be upgraded at some future date or buy a MY2020. A post in another thread in this forum found Lexus Spain is calling MY2020 supported and MY2019 upgraded with upgrades available by April 2020 for MY2019 vehicles.

https://www.lexusauto.es/ownership/a...d-auto/#recall

The Beatsonic kit does look nice and is a good option if my original plan doesn't work out. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Android Auto Coming Oct 2019 Production