ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Using Android Phone WITHOUT Android Auto (2019 ES 350)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-19, 01:06 AM
2019ES350
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Question Using Android Phone WITHOUT Android Auto (2019 ES 350)

Android Auto is not available on the 2019 ES 350. How can I use my Android phone with that model?

I understand Android Auto will be available on the 2020 ES 350. Will a software update make it available in the future on the 2019 ES 350?

Any insight you can offer will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Old 09-13-19, 07:53 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by 2019ES350
Android Auto is not available on the 2019 ES 350. How can I use my Android phone with that model?
Same as any car with Bluetooth.

I understand Android Auto will be available on the 2020 ES 350.
I've only heard speculation about it. Nothing official. Do you have anything authoritative you can cite?

Will a software update make it available in the future on the 2019 ES 350?
We can only speculate.

Any insight you can offer will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
You're welcome!
Old 09-14-19, 12:05 AM
2019ES350
Rookie

Default Thanks, but what am I missing out on?

As an Android phone user, if my car is not compatible with Android Auto, what am I missing out on? I'm trying to determine whether it is a significant loss not to have Android Auto. Can anyone help me? Thanks!
Old 09-14-19, 05:20 AM
ALarsh
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As an Android phone user, if my car is not compatible with Android Auto, what am I missing out on? I'm trying to determine whether it is a significant loss not to have Android Auto. Can anyone help me? Thanks!
This is Android auto. This is what your car will not have if you don't have Android auto.

https://www.android.com/auto/
Old 09-14-19, 06:26 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

I can’t speak directly to Android Auto, but I use the Apple ecosystem and have been somewhat underwhelmed by Apple CarPlay. Frankly, I don’t see myself using it much, so based on that assessment, I don’t think you would be missing all that much.

First of all, the Toyota/Lexus systems have to be connected via a USB cable which isn’t terribly convenient. Second, what does it really do beyond mirror the phone’s screen onto the car display. This seems really targeted towards Waze users so if you live in a busy metropolitan area this may indeed have greater benefit to you. For me, the factory nav is good enough for my needs so this is truly a solution in search of a problem. So what else will CarPlay bring me? Music? I have that covered with car infotainment system already and I have no issues using it (once getting past the learning curve). Ok, then you have the ability to make phone calls using CarPlay - a service already covered via Bluetooth using the car’s native systems. It is just my humble opinion that using the vehicle’s native infotainment system and learning the voice prompts are nearly as effective as CarPlay without the need to always have the cable dangling and the need to plug in each time I get in the car.

Now considering those thoughts above, some people are virtually married to their phones and cannot even sit down in a restaurant without picking up their phone. If that fits you, then AA may have more value for you.
The following users liked this post:
bc6152 (09-30-19)
Old 09-14-19, 08:37 AM
CarToys
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably the biggest benefit is being able to use google maps navigation using the car’s built-in infotainment system display and controls. This is especially important if your vehicle isn’t equipped with the factory navigation package (and even if it is equipped with it, a lot of people feel that google maps’ navigation is superior to Lexus/Toyota’s factory navigation system and would rather use google maps instead).
Old 09-14-19, 08:51 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by CarToys
Probably the biggest benefit is being able to use google maps navigation...
I agree. And the biggest downsides are:

1) You have to plug it in every time you want to use it, and
2) It disables your USB stick. You can't use CarPlay and listen to music on a USB stick at the same time.

It will be interesting to see how Android Auto is deployed in the 2020 RX. My guess is that it will have the above 2 limitations, which are unnecessary design choices.
Old 09-14-19, 11:18 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

You are loosing out on the feature of having a phone integrated into the headunit basically.

Take a gander at the videos available on youtube, and see if this a feature which is crucial to you. I personally would not buy a vehicle without in 2019, as even entry level rental specials have this feature enabled, but again thats upto personal preference.
Old 09-14-19, 03:46 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

I'm an Android user but I decided to buy a second phone (iPhone) with a data plan just to use Google Maps. I keep it plugged on all the time unless I need to add music. Google Maps is more useful and up to date than the built in nav.
Old 09-15-19, 03:22 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexRuger
I'm an Android user but I decided to buy a second phone (iPhone) with a data plan just to use Google Maps. I keep it plugged on all the time unless I need to add music. Google Maps is more useful and up to date than the built in nav.
Do you leave the phone on all the time and let the car charge it back up? Or do you turn the phone off when you exit the car?

Also, how is this arrangement working out for you?
Old 09-15-19, 09:09 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidZ
Do you leave the phone on all the time and let the car charge it back up? Or do you turn the phone off when you exit the car?

Also, how is this arrangement working out for you?
I leave the phone on and plugged in all the time.

It's working out fine for me but the only bad thing is when carplay is active, the cars' Bluetooth is disabled. So I can't use my Android phone hands free. But good thing I have my Galaxy Watch to answer and make calls on my Android phone.

If Lexus puts out an update to make my car Android Auto compatible, I'd get rid of the iPhone in a heartbeat.
Old 09-15-19, 09:57 AM
2019ES350
Rookie

I was able to speak with a knowledgeable person at Lexus headquarters about the "coming of Android Auto" to ES and a number of other Lexus cars. Unfortunately, a hardware limitation (not software) will make it impossible to add Android Auto to 2019 and older Lexus cars. A replacement of the "head" would cost several thousand dollars, and that is what would be needed. So, it sounds like you'll be keeping that iPhone for a while.
Old 09-15-19, 10:46 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

I was able to speak with a knowledgeable person at Lexus headquarters about the "coming of Android Auto" to ES and a number of other Lexus cars. Unfortunately, a hardware limitation (not software) will make it impossible to add Android Auto to 2019 and older Lexus cars. A replacement of the "head" would cost several thousand dollars, and that is what would be needed. So, it sounds like you'll be keeping that iPhone for a while.
Thanks for the info.

If that's the case, then they need to get their asses in gear to fix the lame Navigation system, which is clearly a software issue. Then we won't need to use our iPhones for Google Maps or Waze.

I got much better results from my 2004 ES DVD-based Navigation than I do using this one.
Old 09-15-19, 02:04 PM
DaRacerz
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would take that with a bit of suspicion. For FWIW, Lexus Spain has an announcement on their site stating Android Auto upgrade for MY'19 ES built after October 2018. December 2019 update available for non-nav vehicles and April 2020 for nav vehicles.

https://www.lexusauto.es/ownership/a...d-auto/#recall

Staying hopeful there may be a retro-fit software update to look forward to.
Old 09-15-19, 03:23 PM
2019ES350
Rookie

Unhappy

Originally Posted by DavidZ
Thanks for the info.

If that's the case, then they need to get their asses in gear to fix the lame Navigation system, which is clearly a software issue. Then we won't need to use our iPhones for Google Maps or Waze.

I got much better results from my 2004 ES DVD-based Navigation than I do using this one.
DavidZ--

I'm disappointed to read your comment about the Lexus navigation system. Would you give us an idea of what the problems are. I use Waze and Google Maps all the time and would hate to make a move backward in changing to the navigation system in the 2019 ES 350 I am contemplating buying.

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Using Android Phone WITHOUT Android Auto (2019 ES 350)