ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Wireless charger

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-19, 03:41 PM
isoftspk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wireless charger

I have recently purchased the 2019 ES350. I have noted the wireless charger to be super super slow. Takes 1 hr to charge barely 5-10% and some times not even that. Phone heats up a lot too. Does anyone else have the same issue. Any solutions?
Old 09-15-19, 03:45 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by isoftspk
I have recently purchased the 2019 ES350. I have noted the wireless charger to be super super slow. Takes 1 hr to charge barely 5-10% and some times not even that. Phone heats up a lot too. Does anyone else have the same issue. Any solutions?
Plug it in...
Old 09-15-19, 03:51 PM
isoftspk
Driver School Candidate

Agree. good suggestion. But still wanted to see if I am doing something wrong. Since its a piece of technology available so just wanted to see if I can avail.
Old 09-15-19, 05:03 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
Plug it in...
So, we paid $75 for nothing?
Old 09-15-19, 05:13 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Wireless chargers are pretty useless in or out of tbe car.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
ALarsh (09-17-19), dklanecky1 (09-16-19)
Old 09-15-19, 05:21 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Wireless chargers are pretty useless in or out of tbe car.
That's why I resent having to pay $75 for something that's useless. Every Luxury ES in my area has it as an "option." I guess it's a mandatory (useless) option.
Old 09-15-19, 06:38 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DavidZ
That's why I resent having to pay $75 for something that's useless. Every Luxury ES in my area has it as an "option." I guess it's a mandatory (useless) option.
$75 in the grand scheme of things not material. I paid a lot more for HUD which I never use but my FSport came without the useless wireless charger.
Old 09-15-19, 06:46 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

$75 in the grand scheme of things not material. I paid a lot more for HUD which I never use but my FSport came without the useless wireless charger.
Funny how things work out. I wanted the charger but couldn't get one. I didn't want the HUD - and never use it - and it was included with the car... PITA...
Old 09-15-19, 10:10 PM
SUXEL9012
Driver School Candidate

Default Wireless charger for RX350 for Apple Xr phone

I have a 2019 RX 350 and was wondering if anyone knows of a wireless charger that fits in the shelf under the radio. I can’t seem to find one and I don’t like having to open the center console to get to my phone. Any suggestions ?
Old 09-16-19, 05:27 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by SUXEL9012
I have a 2019 RX 350 and was wondering if anyone knows of a wireless charger that fits in the shelf under the radio. I can’t seem to find one and I don’t like having to open the center console to get to my phone. Any suggestions ?
This is the 7th generation ES forum (2019 and forward) so many of us here don’t even know what the dash configuration of a 2019 RX looks like. I really couldn’t begin to answer your question as I am among those that aren’t really familiar with the interior of the RX, and besides, I don’t have any recommendations for a wireless charger for automotive use. I suggest you post your question in the 2019 RX forum?
Old 09-16-19, 05:32 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SUXEL9012
You're in the wrong forum but I have an RX as well - just plug it in - a cord from the console can run right to that shelf and your phone will charge faster than ten hours
Old 09-16-19, 05:58 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidZ
Originally Posted by bc6152
Funny how things work out. I wanted the charger but couldn't get one. I didn't want the HUD - and never use it - and it was included with the car... PITA...
I suspect that, most of the time, cars that are in a dealer's inventory are going to have at least a few options that most buyers would not have chosen to buy.

About the only way to avoid having to buy options that you don't really want would be to special order the car. However, if you do special order a car, the level of discounts available on special orders will likely be significantly lower than what they would be if you bought a car out of dealer's inventory. So, the likely result will be that, with a special order, you will end up paying a higher price for a car with fewer options compared to the price that you would pay for a car out of a dealers inventory with options that you might not have really wanted.
The following users liked this post:
UKEE (09-16-19)
Old 09-16-19, 08:43 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I had a wireless charger in a previous car that I never used. When I did try, it was too slow and it got pretty warm, just as the OP said. It will never be as fast as using a regular charger, and I would assume it would be similar to using the USB port. I might be wrong. There has been a lot of concern about the heat, but the consensus seems to be that we shouldn't worry about it. All charging generates heat, but it seems like it isn't dissipated as quickly when using wireless. Where did they put the charger in the new ES? You still have to plug it into the USB to use Carplay, right?

The reason I never used mine is that where they put the charger (in the console) is very inconvenient. I primarily use Bluetooth, and rarely take my phone out of my back pocket. When I do, I will invariably leave it in the car when I get out, especially if it's hidden in the center console. I have tried changing my habit so I can use Carplay, but it's a challenge. The good news is that I don't leave it in the car as often, and I'm still getting better.
Old 09-16-19, 09:20 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Woodrow
I had a wireless charger in a previous car that I never used. When I did try, it was too slow and it got pretty warm, just as the OP said. It will never be as fast as using a regular charger, and I would assume it would be similar to using the USB port. I might be wrong. There has been a lot of concern about the heat, but the consensus seems to be that we shouldn't worry about it. All charging generates heat, but it seems like it isn't dissipated as quickly when using wireless. Where did they put the charger in the new ES? You still have to plug it into the USB to use Carplay, right?

The reason I never used mine is that where they put the charger (in the console) is very inconvenient. I primarily use Bluetooth, and rarely take my phone out of my back pocket. When I do, I will invariably leave it in the car when I get out, especially if it's hidden in the center console. I have tried changing my habit so I can use Carplay, but it's a challenge. The good news is that I don't leave it in the car as often, and I'm still getting better.
What's inconvenient about having the charger in the console - it works fine and there's an opening to route the cord with the door closed. Or you can use the ones from the back vents as well.
Old 09-16-19, 09:21 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lesz
I suspect that, most of the time, cars that are in a dealer's inventory are going to have at least a few options that most buyers would not have chosen to buy.

About the only way to avoid having to buy options that you don't really want would be to special order the car. However, if you do special order a car, the level of discounts available on special orders will likely be significantly lower than what they would be if you bought a car out of dealer's inventory. So, the likely result will be that, with a special order, you will end up paying a higher price for a car with fewer options compared to the price that you would pay for a car out of a dealers inventory with options that you might not have really wanted.
Very true - just search for inventory that has the critical options you either want or do not want. I definitely DID NOT want the AVS and searched for an FSport that was equipped without it.

Quick Reply: Wireless charger