ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

USB Music Playback Order

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-19, 02:15 PM
RunUR262
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidZ
OK, I figured it out. You have to use the "Tag - Tag" option on the Convert menu. In fact, I think that the Title tag may be the controlling factor here rather than the filename.
That may work too though I did it through the actions options. I believe you are 100% correct on the Title tag being the controlling factor. Once I converted the Track to three digits and then added the three digit track number to the Title field - it all worked. I was shocked at how fast MP3Tag made the changes to 5,600+ FLACs - within one minute on an 11 year old Vista OS system. Takes way longer to transfer them back to the USB drive. I didn’t have to adjust the file name at all. I use EAC to rip my CDs to FLAC and it automatically names the file 01 - Song Name so those track numbers were there - just needed them in the Title field too.
Old 09-22-19, 11:47 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by NCGator25
All, I was struggling with this issue on my ES and my Jeep that has a Pioneer NEX head unit. In my searching, I found the solution below on one of the pioneer forums. I've completed the process and it works.

Here's the solution:...
At first, I followed these instructions, but it didn't work. The tracks still showed up in alpha order. But then I added the track numbers to the Title field and now it works. I don't know what would happen if I changed the filename back to the original because I haven't tried that.

Why do you need 3 digits? I don't understand why 2 digits doesn't work.
Old 09-22-19, 01:24 PM
NCGator25
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure of the technical reasons behind it, but I tried 2 digits first, and it didn't work correctly. My guess would be that it has something to do with certain albums having double digit tracks, and how they are added to the SD card by Windows. I also don't know if you can remove the track number from the filename, and still have it work correctly. I didn't try that out.

Glad you guys were able to get it working!
Old 09-22-19, 01:54 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by NCGator25
I'm not sure of the technical reasons behind it, but I tried 2 digits first, and it didn't work correctly. My guess would be that it has something to do with certain albums having double digit tracks, and how they are added to the SD card by Windows. I also don't know if you can remove the track number from the filename, and still have it work correctly. I didn't try that out.

Glad you guys were able to get it working!
Thank you so much, NCGator25, for posting the instructions and doing the heavy lifting for us. It's such a pleasure to be able to listen to my albums in the correct track order!

I think I used an earlier version of this program about 20 years ago to clean up the tags on my mp3 collection.
Old 09-23-19, 06:17 AM
Angelix
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For this topic, I finally find a solution to sync my favorite playlist in order to a USB stick.

I am using MusicBee as my music library management software. There is a very convenient feature to copy all files in a playlist to the same folder in a specific order, as the screenshot shows below,

the checkbox to create sub-folder option, as far as I tried, it copies all music files in the order of this playlist. This kind of solves the no-playlist issue, now I could select a folder as a playlist.

This is so stupid but at least it works, for anyone needs playlists, you may want to try this.
Old 09-23-19, 10:53 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

I just created a USB stick archive of my CDs using Mp3tag with 2 digit track numbers inserted at the beginning of each track title. The archive has the original unedited filenames and plays the tracks in track number order. That solves the 2 unanswered questions. 2-digit track numbers are OK and the track titles (not the filenames) are the controlling factor. Also, instead of a dash, I inserted a space in the titles after the track numbers. I don't think that makes a difference, but I prefer the way it looks.

Last edited by DavidZ; 09-23-19 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-23-19, 02:32 PM
PanchoB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidZ
I just created a USB stick archive of my CDs using Mp3tag with 2 digit track numbers inserted at the beginning of each track title. The archive has the original unedited filenames and plays the tracks in track number order. That solves the 2 unanswered questions. 2-digit track numbers are OK and the track titles (not the filenames) are the controlling factor. Also, instead of a dash, I inserted a space in the titles after the track numbers. I don't think that makes a difference, but I prefer the way it looks.
This is really great news and I'm looking forward to testing it out ASAP! Thanks to everyone that responded to the post, I really appreciate your time and effort. Especially the detailed instructions on using the tag editor. I'm always hesitant to download a utility someone recommends, but when I researched it and found it on the Microsoft store I was put at ease. I can't wait to have proper playback order!
Old 09-23-19, 07:55 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by PanchoB
This is really great news and I'm looking forward to testing it out ASAP! Thanks to everyone that responded to the post, I really appreciate your time and effort. Especially the detailed instructions on using the tag editor. I'm always hesitant to download a utility someone recommends, but when I researched it and found it on the Microsoft store I was put at ease. I can't wait to have proper playback order!
Took along drive today and listened to a great live double CD from my collection, Bob Marley & the Wailers, Live at the Roxy. Such a pleasure to listen to this live concert album in the correct order. I've had this CD for 10 or 15 years and today was only the second time I sat and listened to a whole disk. You can imagine what a difference it made to listen to this live concert CD in the correct track order!

I've been having a blast listening to the many great CDs in my collection that I rarely took the time to enjoy until getting my 2019 ES. Having to listen in the wrong track order put a big damper on the experience. Not any more!
Old 11-27-21, 11:46 AM
DocJava
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solution

Hi All,
Your file system MUST be fat16. Fat32 will not work. File names must be Upper Case using 8.3 format. No spaces, no "-" no "_".
Rename the files to NN.MP3 and the order will work fine.
01.MP3 ..50.MP3 works fine.
Here is a shell script for generating the filenames:
#! /bin/csh -f
#
# Usage: break_up_file file number_of_parts

if ($#argv == 0) then # arguments?
echo "Usage: count from to by "
exit 1
endif

@ from=$argv[1]
@ to=$argv[2]
@ by=$argv[3]
@ i=$from

while ($i <= $to)
printf "%04d\n" $i
@ i = $i + $by
end

for example:
count 1 10 1

Use the file names with a .mp3 suffix to target the renaming. An emacs macro works well for this.
I was amazed at how basic the file system had to be in order for it to work. Oh well. Perhaps the newer cars have a more modern firmware.
- DL