ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Rear Camera Detection Unavailable Error

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-20 | 08:26 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

After taking my vehicle in for the 10k maintenance the sound system randomly resets while driving and sometimes the volume is around 45 when I start the engine. It's really annoying and now turn down the gain on the subs after turning off the engine. Might take it into the dealership this weekend since the brake noise is back after they said it was fixed. It hasn't even been a year and I'm very close to deciding this will be my first and last Lexus.
Old 06-11-20 | 09:08 AM
Anthony992
Driver School Candidate

Default Same problem

has anyone got an answer to this problem.

i am dealing with the exact same issue on my Lexus ES300H 2019.

please let me know if anyone has gotten feedback from a dealership. Even though the lens is crystal clear it still gives the message.

Originally Posted by PanchoB
This has happened to me 3 times now so I figured I'd ask the group... When leaving the gym in the morning around 8am, I put the car in reverse to back out of my parking spot. I get a warning saying "Rear Camera Detection Unavailable Remove the Dirt of Rear Camera". Which is weird because my car is clean and the image I see on the dash screen is as sharp as ever. This isn't a huge problem, but it makes no sense to me. It's only happened 3 times so far, but the car seems to have other minor weird Gremlins in it and the more posts I read on this forum the more I wonder about Lexus's firmware/software QC. Any thoughts on what could be causing this error message? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-11-20 | 09:38 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

You might want to go around and wipe off all the sensors too, then restart the car.

Also tell Lexus that "OF" should be either "on" or "off."
The following users liked this post:
Lexus376 (07-01-20)
Old 06-11-20 | 09:45 AM
Anthony992
Driver School Candidate

Default Same issue

The camera is very clean but I will try cleaning the sensors. I was told by a Lexus mechanic that you need to put the car in reverse and turn the steering wheel all the way left to the max and then all the way right to fix it.

what’s OF??

Originally Posted by LeeSoFL
You might want to go around and wipe off all the sensors too, then restart the car.

Also tell Lexus that "OF" should be either "on" or "off."
Old 06-11-20 | 09:48 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Originally Posted by Anthony992
what’s OF??
The message says "dirt of rear camera."
Old 06-23-20 | 02:58 PM
Maxdog923
Driver School Candidate

Brand new ES300H UL here with the same issue.Rear camera works when in reverse, yet get the "Rear Camera Unavailable" message on the dash. As well, the rear collision warning is always flashing , as is another rear warning button. In addition, the yellow "warning" triangle flashes. Dealer is in another province, and had tried to have the local Toyota guys check it out, but both dealers are stymied. And it's 300 km to the closest dealership.Provincial borders are closed so getting to the dealer isn't possible now. They road tested it today to see if the sensors would activate, as Lexus says you need traffic initially to get them to work, and then they should be fine. No luck. 300km's on the car....Any ideas? Looks like a problem for Lexus headquarters...or you guys..)))
Old 06-23-20 | 07:27 PM
Anthony992
Driver School Candidate

Default The fix

the problem is that the cars sensors are very sensitive. You need to ensure the sensor and rear camera are well cleaned. Then turn on your car and give it about 30 seconds before putting it in reverse. If the issue is still persists while in reverse turn the steering all the way to the left and then all the way to the right. Let me know if it fixed your issue

Originally Posted by Maxdog923
Brand new ES300H UL here with the same issue.Rear camera works when in reverse, yet get the "Rear Camera Unavailable" message on the dash. As well, the rear collision warning is always flashing , as is another rear warning button. In addition, the yellow "warning" triangle flashes. Dealer is in another province, and had tried to have the local Toyota guys check it out, but both dealers are stymied. And it's 300 km to the closest dealership.Provincial borders are closed so getting to the dealer isn't possible now. They road tested it today to see if the sensors would activate, as Lexus says you need traffic initially to get them to work, and then they should be fine. No luck. 300km's on the car....Any ideas? Looks like a problem for Lexus headquarters...or you guys..)))
Old 06-23-20 | 09:02 PM
Maxdog923
Driver School Candidate

the problem is that the cars sensors are very sensitive. You need to ensure the sensor and rear camera are well cleaned. Then turn on your car and give it about 30 seconds before putting it in reverse. If the issue is still persists while in reverse turn the steering all the way to the left and then all the way to the right. Let me know if it fixed your issue
Unfortunately, No..All the sensors are spotless. as is the camera. Tried every suggestion I can find, and still the problem persists..Camera works in reverse, yet the warning is there saying "RCD Unavailable"..No mention of dirt in the error message...
Old 06-23-20 | 11:11 PM
Anthony992
Driver School Candidate

Default RCD unavailable

You tried starting the car then putting it in reverse and turning the steering all the way left then all the way right ?? This fixed the same issue for me

Unfortunately, No..All the sensors are spotless. as is the camera. Tried every suggestion I can find, and still the problem persists..Camera works in reverse, yet the warning is there saying "RCD Unavailable"..No mention of dirt in the error message...
Old 06-24-20 | 05:27 AM
Maxdog923
Driver School Candidate

You tried starting the car then putting it in reverse and turning the steering all the way left then all the way right ?? This fixed the same issue for me
Yes ....doesn't solve the issue .
Old 07-01-20 | 12:29 PM
Lexus376
Driver School Candidate

The broken English, which doesn't really matter, makes one wonder about the quality of the software. These symptoms could be due to an intermittent connector or other wiring issue.
Old 07-27-20 | 11:22 AM
Toneee
Driver School Candidate

Default Fix to the problem of message . Rear camera unavailable and rcd light flashing

Originally Posted by PanchoB
This has happened to me 3 times now so I figured I'd ask the group... When leaving the gym in the morning around 8am, I put the car in reverse to back out of my parking spot. I get a warning saying "Rear Camera Detection Unavailable Remove the Dirt of Rear Camera". Which is weird because my car is clean and the image I see on the dash screen is as sharp as ever. This isn't a huge problem, but it makes no sense to me. It's only happened 3 times so far, but the car seems to have other minor weird Gremlins in it and the more posts I read on this forum the more I wonder about Lexus's firmware/software QC. Any thoughts on what could be causing this error message? Thanks in advance!
you don’t have to go to the dealer to do this but is recommended so you don’t mess anything up..
Make sure doors are shut
hold the menu button by pressing center pad and turn headlights on and off 3-4 times to activate a setting menu that will pop up on your display.
go to steering angle adjustment and go to max steering angle adjustment, turn the wheel all the way to the left and then press and hold the pad down until it beeps, turn the wheel all the way to the right then press and hold pad until it beeps.
then select steering wheel center and put the steering wheel center and hold the pad until it beeps.
and boom it’s fixed. It will not calibrate if doors are not shut. I just preformed this at the dealer. 2020 es350
Old 11-17-21 | 05:48 PM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Did anyone find a solution to this issue? Mae sure to clean all the sensors but no bueno. Rear camera works fine by the way.
Old 11-17-21 | 08:09 PM
Maxdog923
Driver School Candidate

Finally got fixed,17 months later. Dealer did an incomplete startup of the car when they received it.....Unbelievable.
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (12-17-21)
Old 11-18-21 | 05:02 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Finally got fixed,17 months later. Dealer did an incomplete startup of the car when they received it.....Unbelievable.
What exactly was the problem and how did they fix it?

Quick Reply: Rear Camera Detection Unavailable Error