ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

How to Get the Most Enjoyment from Your Awesome Mark Levinson Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-23 | 07:25 PM
Myshkyn
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DavidZ
I use a wired dedicated iPhone with Apple Music. The sound is awesome. Significantly better than CD quality.
To try to access Apple Music, I just tried plugging my iPhone in to the USB port where I play my flac files, but unfortunately it doesn't show up in the list of sources like the USB does. I am assuming that a wired connection will provide better quality than wi-fi connect, making it preferable to the wi-fi connection.

2023 300h.
Old 08-27-23 | 11:15 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by Myshkyn
To try to access Apple Music, I just tried plugging my iPhone in to the USB port where I play my flac files, but unfortunately it doesn't show up in the list of sources like the USB does. I am assuming that a wired connection will provide better quality than wi-fi connect, making it preferable to the wi-fi connection.

2023 300h.
Not sure why you're having problems using Apple Music or accessing the FLAC files in your phone. I believe Apple Music is preinstalled on the iPhone, so it should be available CarPlay. But you might need an Apple Music subscription.

I prefer wired sound quality over wireless. I found the wireless sound quality pretty close, but the wired had more clarity and detail. I'm an audiophile and acknowledge that the difference is small and a lot of people might not detect it. Also, it depends on the wireless device you're using.
Old 08-27-23 | 04:20 PM
Myshkyn
Pit Crew

Not sure why you're having problems using Apple Music or accessing the FLAC files in your phone. I believe Apple Music is preinstalled on the iPhone, so it should be available CarPlay. But you might need an Apple Music subscription.

I prefer wired sound quality over wireless. I found the wireless sound quality pretty close, but the wired had more clarity and detail. I'm an audiophile and acknowledge that the difference is small and a lot of people might not detect it. Also, it depends on the wireless device you're using.
I can play flac files on my USB drive and I can play Apple Music and flac files wirelessly from my iPhone. I was just hoping to be able to play Apple Music by a wired connection to see if I could notice a difference. Comparing a USB flac file ripped from a CD to the same song in Apple Music (wireless) sounds like about the same quality after one comparison. It's good, but just wondering if it might be better going with the direct wired connection.
Old 08-27-23 | 04:45 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

I can play flac files on my USB drive and I can play Apple Music and flac files wirelessly from my iPhone. I was just hoping to be able to play Apple Music by a wired connection to see if I could notice a difference. Comparing a USB flac file ripped from a CD to the same song in Apple Music (wireless) sounds like about the same quality after one comparison. It's good, but just wondering if it might be better going with the direct wired connection.
Maybe you need to turn off your wireless connection in order to make a wired connection?
Old 08-27-23 | 09:26 PM
TakeshiJin
Driver School Candidate

CD sound quality is the minimum I would use to test and/or adjust settings for the ML audio. Even the best sound quality Spotify offers is a step or 2 below that. You should get much better sound quality in general from the CD player (if you have one) in your ES than from Spotify.

I use a wired dedicated iPhone with Apple Music. The sound is awesome. Significantly better than CD quality.

Of course, it all depends on the source material. A poorly recorded track in high resolution will sound bad.

The bass and treble settings vary by track. I have found that flat settings (all 0s) works best for a wide variety of recordings. I would like to fine tune the bass and treble controls by track, but it's too much effort on the ES, especially while driving.
Yes, the Bass, Treble and Mid's all vary by tracks in combination with the A.S.L. , the M.L. D.S.P. , and the materials of the speakers all play a role towards the end output.

I am going to disagree with CD's and standardization of high quality.

The iPhone connection via wired are the highest they can be via wired codec.There's no loss in Music to what I listen to based on Spotify Platform output. You can't tell people tune a sound system via CD cause it's like telling someone who likes beef to eat chicken cause it's healthier when there is beef available.

Everyone has different streaming platforms in this digital age. There's so many songs out their you should never limit your self to a select few of higher standard quality. By cherry picking formats your literally masking the deficiencies of this system.
  • A Perfect counter example is the Bowers & Wilkins in BMW's and Volvo's will not have any shortcomings even playing the exact same song from the exact same format and platform.
People need to TUNE the system to what Digital platform and songs they use and listen to not a standard set of Musics quality they don't care of or is not accessible via their streaming source. Spotify will always have the biggest music Library especially for new releases thus sufficing more users needs.

Last edited by TakeshiJin; 08-27-23 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-28-23 | 08:40 AM
Myshkyn
Pit Crew

Maybe you need to turn off your wireless connection in order to make a wired connection?
I tried turning off wi-fi and Bluetooth, but the iPhone still doesn't show as a source. I'll keep experimenting to see if I stumble on way to connect Apple Music by wire.
Old 08-28-23 | 10:19 AM
BBQapple
Instructor

My last custom aftermarket car stereo sounded great even with Pandora streaming or MP3s from a USB stick. I have a studio music production setup at home with a PA plus a collection of nice headphones and know a thing or two about what music can sound like.

Sure the ML is better than the base Pioneer system. But just barely. If it needs a CD or better to sound acceptable, it’s not a good system period.

I like Lexus, I really do, we’re on our third now (LS430 retired, 23 IS350 FS and 23 ES300h Premium) but their audio systems are weak and have weird sound staging. After hearing the ML in the 7ES and being completely unimpressed I decided having NuLuxe was more important than ML so I bought a Premium. I paid cash for the car so it’s not like it was a money decision.
Old 08-28-23 | 11:00 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

I tried turning off wi-fi and Bluetooth, but the iPhone still doesn't show as a source. I'll keep experimenting to see if I stumble on way to connect Apple Music by wire.
May I confirm if you are presently linked through a lightning cable in this scenario, as there may be an issue or ambiguity that needs to be addressed?

I can play flac files on my USB drive and I can play Apple Music and flac files wirelessly from my iPhone. I was just hoping to be able to play Apple Music by a wired connection to see if I could notice a difference.
If you are presently able to stream Apple Music wirelessly from your iPhone, then it follows that you should be able to play it with a lightning cord connection. The source remains the same, only the connectivity method changes. If your ES fails to recognize your iPhone as a source when connected via a lightning cord, which essentially acts as a USB, it may indicate an underlying issue that requires attention.
Old 08-28-23 | 11:34 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

It's important to note that when using your device as a source for music, the music service is considered the content, and your iPhone serves as the source, regardless of the connection method. Your device is essentially utilizing the music service as its audio source, meaning that all music sources, such as Apple Music, Pandora, Spotify, Amazon Music, Tidal, and others, originate from your device. As a result, if you can hear the music through Wireless Carplay, 23 and up models, you should be able to hear it via a lightning cord as well.

Assuming you are successfully using Apple Music wirelessly from your iPhone, it stands to reason that you should be able to play Apple Music from your iPhone with a lightning cord connection. The source is the same; only the mode of connectivity is different. If your ES is not recognizing your iPhone as a source via the lightning cord, which functions as a USB, there may be an underlying issue that needs to be addressed.
Old 08-28-23 | 12:01 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Someone wrote “I use a wired dedicated iPhone with Apple Music. The sound is awesome. Significantly better than CD quality.”

It is extremely unlikely you can tell the difference through a car audio system. I’d bet money on it. Even if you have high quality headphones it’s unlikely. And definitely not “significantly” better. My guess is you’ve set the bass/treble/midrange and fader differently in the two sources so they sound different to you.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode/human-ears-can-hear-better-than-cd-quality-just-barely/

Even with source material recorded with a high quality condenser microphone and listening with good headphones directly through my mixer board it’s practically impossible tell.
The following users liked this post:
LeX2K (08-28-23)
Old 08-28-23 | 12:12 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BBQapple
It is extremely unlikely you can tell the difference through a car audio system. I’d bet money on it.
Agreed. Only* a high end home system is capable of eeking out better sound from high rez source material. And even then you're at the mercy of the recording itself there is no advantage in tossing more bits around if the source is not well recorded and engineered. It might even make things worse.

*I'm sure there are car audio systems that can take advantage but they will be big $$$$$
Old 09-02-23 | 01:50 AM
Dopamine99
10th Gear

summary of results at the 15:00 mark.

"YouTube Music has improved its audio quality since its launch with 128 kbps streams and now has a bit-rate of 256 kbps in the AAC format.13 However, some reviewers have noted that the listening experience is still not quite as good as Spotify and Apple Music.3 YouTube Music Premium members have control over their streaming quality, but the options are limited to High (256Kbps), Normal (128Kbps), and Low (4Kbps). The default option, Normal, has an upper bound of 128 kbps AAC, while switching to High moves you to an upper bound of 256 kbps AAC."