ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

How to Get the Most Enjoyment from Your Awesome Mark Levinson Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-19, 02:55 PM
Hifiman1
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

DavidZ, your comment regarding how an RTA won't tell you how to hear and that your ears are the final judge is a pretty arrogant statement!

What is your hearing frequency range? Hearing loss? Are you deaf? Your input is worth a grain of salt.

An RTA will be far more accurate than *Your Ears*. A frequency response graphic will show what you are actually hearing, compared to what you *think* you are hearing.

Last edited by Hifiman1; 10-22-19 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-22-19, 02:58 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Your ears are the ultimate judge that matter to you and everybody has their own taste in how they want their music to sound. If it sounds good to you then enjoy the music and the car.

The specs might dictate that one system is theoretically better than the other, but human hearing is subjective. You can look at charts and graphs all day and they might in fact show that one is better than the other, but if you can't tell the difference and you like one over the other then that is all that matters to you the individual.

Last edited by nsaldanh; 10-22-19 at 03:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by nsaldanh:
dklanecky1 (10-25-19), Hifiman1 (10-22-19)
Old 10-22-19, 03:12 PM
Barryabko
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

You would be able to evaluate the audio quality of the DAC built into the Lexus Mark Levinson system by removing the variables as best as possible and testing the difference between it and an outboard DAC with a reputation for excellent sound. One such way would be to use a digital media player that outputs the raw digital file via USB and connect it to the USB port in the Lexus and listen to various High Resolution audio tracks from 24/48 and higher. Then disconnect the plug from the Lexus USB port, connect it instead to a high quality portable external DAC, and then from the analog output of the external DAC to the Lexus AUX port. Listen to the same tracks at the same volume with this configuration and determine if there is any difference in audio quality and what those differences are. Preferably, the outboard DAC would allow you to switch manually between different rates (IE: 16/44.1, 24/48, 24/96, 24/192, etc.) so that it can be compared most fairly to the built in Mark Levinson DAC.

If the Mark Levinson company is actually manufacturing the electronics in the system, the chances of high quality parts being used are greater in my opinion, considering the Mark Levinson brand was created and has maintained their reputation based on a commitment to excellence.

On a side note, I have found that the best sounding recordings I've played on the ML system* are 32/192 and 24/192 tracks even though the Lexus owners manual says that the built in DAC will only play up to 24/48 (although it will recognize and play higher resolution tracks). I'm not sure why those higher rate tracks sounds best if they are supposedly being down-converted to 24/48.

*When adjusted best to my ears:

Highs -2
Mids -1
Bass 0
Fader 3 clicks to the rear
Surround Off
Sound Leveler Off

Even at -2 the highs are still a little much on many recordings so I've been experimenting with -3. I haven't reached a conclusion yet.

Last edited by Barryabko; 10-23-19 at 01:32 AM.
Old 10-22-19, 03:12 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Hifiman1
DavidZ, your comment regarding how an RTA won't tell you how to hear and that your ears are the final judge is a pretty arrogant statement!

What is your hearing frequency range? Hearing loss? Are you deaf? Your input is worth a grain of salt.

An RTA will be far more accurate than *Your Ears*. A frequency response graphic will show what you are actually hearing, compared to what you *think* you are hearing.
You call me arrogant for saying that my ears are the final judge...

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
Your ears are the ultimate judge and everybody has their own taste in how they want their music to sound. If it sounds good to you then enjoy the music and the car.
...and you "liked" this comment?! What's that about?
Old 10-22-19, 04:58 PM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts

Old 10-22-19, 05:45 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by Barryabko
You would be able to evaluate the audio quality of the DAC built into the Lexus Mark Levinson system by removing the variables as best as possible and testing the difference between it and an outboard DAC with a reputation for excellent sound. One such way would be to use a digital media player that outputs the raw digital file via USB and connect it to the USB port in the Lexus and listen to various High Resolution audio tracks from 24/48 and higher. Then disconnect the plug from the Lexus USB port, connect it instead to a high quality portable external DAC, and then from the analog output of the external DAC to the Lexus AUX port. Listen to the same tracks at the same volume with this configuration and determine if there is any difference in audio quality and what those differences are. Preferably, the outboard DAC would allow you to switch manually between different rates (IE: 16/44.1, 24/48, 24/96, 24/192, etc.) so that it can be compared most fairly to the built in Mark Levinson DAC.
This A/B test couldn't be simpler. Just unplug your iPhone from the USB port and plug it into the Lexus AUX input. I asked Hifiman1 if he tried this, but haven't gotten a response.

I'll try it in the next day or 2 and let you know what I hear. I know the new iPhones don't have an AUX plug, but my 6s does.
Old 10-22-19, 05:52 PM
Barryabko
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DavidZ
This A/B test couldn't be simpler. Just unplug your iPhone from the USB port and plug it into the Lexus AUX input.
That may yield some useful information so it's worth doing but it's not really comparing only the Lexus DAC vs the iPhone DAC as the signal is additionally going through the iPhone's analog output section which is optimized for earbuds.
Old 10-22-19, 06:13 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by Barryabko
That may yield some useful information so it's worth doing but it's not really comparing only the Lexus DAC vs the iPhone DAC as the signal is additionally going through the iPhone's analog output section which is optimized for earbuds.
Good point. That's why I mentioned above that the DAC is not the only link in the chain and may not be the weakest link. For that reason, there's no A/B test that will perfectly answer all questions. But that's not the point. The point is the title of this thread.
Old 10-22-19, 07:55 PM
Barryabko
Pit Crew

Please let us know what you think once you've made the comparison.
Old 10-23-19, 12:40 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

This A/B test couldn't be simpler. Just unplug your iPhone from the USB port and plug it into the Lexus AUX input. I asked Hifiman1 if he tried this, but haven't gotten a response.

I'll try it in the next day or 2 and let you know what I hear. I know the new iPhones don't have an AUX plug, but my 6s does.
It isn't even a contest. The AUX input sounds horrible compared with the USB. The entire sound stage collapses. The fine detail and spacial placement of instruments is gone.

Don't get me wrong. Using the AUX input sounds as good as many other car stereos. But it's no match for the ML through the USB. Not even close.
The following users liked this post:
stevewise (02-26-23)
Old 10-23-19, 12:44 PM
Barryabko
Pit Crew

It isn't even a contest. The AUX input sounds horrible compared with the USB. The entire sound stage collapses. The fine detail and spacial placement of instruments is gone.

Don't get me wrong. Using the AUX input sounds as good as many other car stereos. But it's no match for the ML through the USB. Not even close.

Thanks for making the comparison, David.
Old 10-23-19, 01:43 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 659 Likes on 493 Posts

I'm sure you know this, but each source has its own sound settings. Did you set Aux to match USB? Another issue could be an inferior DAC in your phone.
Old 10-23-19, 03:04 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike728
I'm sure you know this, but each source has its own sound settings. Did you set Aux to match USB? Another issue could be an inferior DAC in your phone.
Good point. Yes, I made sure the sound settings were the same. The difference I heard was huge compared with the effects of the sound settings.

Regarding the DAC in my iPhone 6s, please note that this whole exercise was prompted a poster claiming that the ML system probably has a cheap, crappy DAC. When challenged, he had no basis for this assumption. It was simply a guess on his part. Nothing more.

This guess makes absolutely no sense. The ML system has amazing sound. Why would anyone "assume" that it has crappy parts, particularly such a critical component as the DAC?
Old 10-23-19, 03:21 PM
Hifiman1
Intermediate

I'd be interested to know if the stock system uses the same headunit as the base Panasonic system.
Old 10-23-19, 03:59 PM
Hifiman1
Intermediate

I looked over the parts catalogue and cannot figure out why Lexus claims that the mark Levinson system has 17 speakers over the base car with 10 speakers.

The part numbers for all speakers are the same and the only thing mark Levinson are the added tweeters to the doors.

The headunit is also the same part number.

Did Lexus really call the system mark Levinson just for 2 door tweeters and a ML amp? It looks that way. Pretty sad.

Last edited by Hifiman1; 10-23-19 at 04:06 PM.