ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

New Lexus Remote App

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-19 | 10:33 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kalel2127
The seats and steering wheel should turn on if left in "Auto" mode. Hasn't been cold enough here for me to use the heating option but I know the cooling seats turn on automatically when left on "Auto". Nothing worse than sitting on a scorching hot seat.
Ah ha - I never leave them in AUTO - only the climate control. Good catch.
Old 11-28-19 | 11:08 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

After the most recent update, they have either fixed or broken the “current” remote app, depending on your perspective and number of recent Lexus vehicles. The problem I had with the old app, is every time I opened it my oldest (or first?) Lexus vehicle was the default vehicle and I had to jump through a couple of steps to get over to the 2019 ES. Well now when opening the app, the latest Lexus vehicle, the 2019 ES is the default one and I have to jump through the menu to get to our older car. So the new app went from a 50% chance of being right to a 50% chance of being wrong? I really wish they could make it smarter and stick to the last vehicle it was used with - you know, like the old remote app!
Old 11-28-19 | 11:20 AM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DavidZ
Is there any new/additional functionality? If not, why not just wait until they've gotten all the bugs worked out?
There is one big improvement on the new app. You only have to authenticate ONCE in the app when you open it. With the old app you had to authenticate every time you did ANYTHING. Open the app... authenticate. Check vehicle status.... authenticate AGAIN. Get the location.... authenticate AGAIN. Unlock the doors..... authenticate AGAIN.

Also, the new app allows you to turn on the hazard lights which can make it easier to find the car. The new app also adds a preview of last parked location, recent trip, vehicle health report and drivers score which isn't that useful but kind of cool.

The one thing the new app removed is the countdown to auto shutoff after remote starting.

The new app is slow to communicate with the car but no slower than the old app.

The new one looks better too.

Overall very worth the update.
Old 11-28-19 | 11:24 AM
jimv1983
Intermediate

In addition to the less user-friendly interface on the new one, I think it has a lot to do with the very buggy roll out. Many of the 1 star reviews are within the last week or 2 and talk about problems performing simple tasks. That tells me there are still bugs to be fixed.
I haven't noticed any bugs at all and I think the user interface is VASTLY improved on the new app. Now, if they could just make communication with the car faster but that's the same as the old one.
Old 11-28-19 | 11:25 AM
jimv1983
Intermediate

In addition to the less user-friendly interface on the new one, I think it has a lot to do with the very buggy roll out. Many of the 1 star reviews are within the last week or 2 and talk about problems performing simple tasks. That tells me there are still bugs to be fixed.
I haven't noticed any bugs at all and I think the user interface is VASTLY improved on the new app. Now, if they could just make communication with the car faster but that's the same as the old one.
Old 11-28-19 | 12:12 PM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Originally Posted by TechNut
every time I opened it my oldest (or first?) Lexus vehicle was the default vehicle and I had to jump through a couple of steps to get over to the 2019 ES. Well now when opening the app, the latest Lexus vehicle, the 2019 ES is the default one
I'd noticed that too, but since it's either the RC or the ES, it's never more than one swipe away. I had to delete older models that we no longer owned. You run into this when you want more than one car on the same account. You can make each car with a different email, and it would only bring up one vehicle. Not really a big problem.
Old 11-29-19 | 05:17 AM
Jezza819
Pit Crew

With the new app I'm getting about a 50% success rate on starting the vehicle the first time. I'm getting the "we were unable to process your vehicle start request at this time, please try later" or something to that effect almost half the time I request it. Now I can sit there and exit out and go right back in and it will work. Might even have to do that twice in order to get it to start. I've also got a false start once. The app said had started but when I went out to it the car had never started.
Old 11-29-19 | 05:43 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jezza819
With the new app I'm getting about a 50% success rate on starting the vehicle the first time. I'm getting the "we were unable to process your vehicle start request at this time, please try later" or something to that effect almost half the time I request it. Now I can sit there and exit out and go right back in and it will work. Might even have to do that twice in order to get it to start. I've also got a false start once. The app said had started but when I went out to it the car had never started.
I would try an uninstall and reinstall. Mine is working flawlessly every time several times every day.
Old 11-29-19 | 06:55 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I would try an uninstall and reinstall. Mine is working flawlessly every time several times every day.
How much time, prior to getting to the car door do you start the car?

It would be better if I didn't have to re-start the car each time I use the remote start.
Old 11-29-19 | 07:56 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LeeSoFL
How much time, prior to getting to the car door do you start the car?

It would be better if I didn't have to re-start the car each time I use the remote start.
I usually give the warm up time of around 6-8 minutes.
It would certainly be better if you didn't have to restart the car every time. However, this is how Toyota does it...Other manufacturers don't... A real PITA...
The following users liked this post:
dklanecky1 (11-30-19)
Old 12-03-19 | 12:03 PM
Jezza819
Pit Crew

I picked up my new NX 300 last night and this morning when I went to use the remote start, the whole app seemed to be moving quicker. It didn't take near as long for the start process to complete once I got the "contacting vehicle" message. Maybe it's just in my head or a one time thing but I did notice an improvement. This driver's score thing is a little odd though. Since last night the vehicle has 28 miles total on the odometer but it's showing 17 harsh cornering incidents which has to be all parking lot related since I only live a half mile or less from work.
Old 12-03-19 | 01:17 PM
kalel2127
Advanced

I picked up my new NX 300 last night and this morning when I went to use the remote start, the whole app seemed to be moving quicker. It didn't take near as long for the start process to complete once I got the "contacting vehicle" message. Maybe it's just in my head or a one time thing but I did notice an improvement. This driver's score thing is a little odd though. Since last night the vehicle has 28 miles total on the odometer but it's showing 17 harsh cornering incidents which has to be all parking lot related since I only live a half mile or less from work.
I have noticed the vehicle is very sensitive to what it considers "harsh cornering". Almost every trip I have taken it states there was a harsh corner. Thanks to that and "fast acceleration" my driver score is 55
Old 12-03-19 | 01:22 PM
Jezza819
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by kalel2127
I have noticed the vehicle is very sensitive to what it considers "harsh cornering". Almost every trip I have taken it states there was a harsh corner. Thanks to that and "fast acceleration" my driver score is 55
Makes my 75 look tame
Old 12-03-19 | 01:28 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Makes my 75 look tame
Sitting at 87 due to smooth tollway cruising!
Old 12-04-19 | 09:16 AM
User 41924
Instructor

I just noticed this "Driver Score" thing for the first time, yesterday. I have a very calm, very little traffic , 6 mile, 20ish minute drive on surface streets at 4:30 in the morning, and the same drive home with more traffic and traffic light impact. I had no idea if a higher number was good or bad. So on the way home (with significant traffic), I made it as point to be as smooth and relaxed as possible. I still got 1 fast acceleration, 3 harsh cornering, and 1 harsh braking! WTH! I wonder what their parameters are., because I certainly don't recall ANY events that I would describe as harsh. My score was 38, so I'm guessing lower scores fit better into what they decide is acceptable (not harsh) driving. It makes me want to get aggressive so I can see how high I can make it!

Are we able to reset the data, or is my score everything from the fist mile I put on the car? Or since I got the app? Or does it only work when the app is actually running? What an odd nugget!

FYI - The remote start is pretty handy when it's 15 degrees out, but it sure screws with your mileage!

Last edited by User 41924; 12-04-19 at 09:22 AM.

Quick Reply: New Lexus Remote App