ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Lexus Roadside Assistance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-20, 02:30 PM
PeterA
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

That shows how important it is to remember passwords.
Old 08-24-20, 03:08 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 721 Likes on 528 Posts

But they still wouldn’t be able to drive it. The key was lost on the beach. It wasn’t inside the car so they wouldn’t have been able to move the car - unless I am misunderstanding the situation?
Old 08-24-20, 03:49 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by LeeSoFL
So here's the solution all you Perry Mason fans.

You borrow someone's phone and download the Lexus Enform app. Sign in and get your profile temporarily on their phone. Unlock doors. Delete app from stranger's phone and buy them a drink. Solves the dehydration issue too.
Hmmm. But the car ain't going anywhere without keys... signed, Perry...
Old 08-24-20, 04:23 PM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

The first ordered issue was "lost my car keys on the beach. Phone & wallet locked in the glove compartment." Locked in the glove compartment is also a problem. hmmmm

If phone and wallet would have been available, then the issue of getting the car home was still another story.

Getting your wallet alone is a major coup.

Years ago, when walking to the parking lot at Lincoln Center, I realized I'd lost my keys. I got on the D train at Columbus Avenue and took it home to get my superintendent to open my apartment door so I could get another set of keys and go back into Manhattan. Total time, about 4 hours.

Last edited by LeeSoFL; 08-24-20 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-24-20, 04:23 PM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts

The phone was in the vehicle, which could have been used to call a family member or friend to drop off the spare key. If that wasn't an option then request an Uber to provide a ride home and back.

Old 08-24-20, 05:54 PM
daraopa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for chiming in and sharing tips. To provide more clarity:

1. Lexus was supposed to put in a safety issue with my request. In that scenario, AAA normally arrives within 15-20 minutes. But AAA did not see it come through from Lexus (Lexus claimed it was a super busy weekend for them) so they were in no rush to get to me. My total wait time was over 3 hours. 3 h o u r s. I already described what that was like. I called Lexus 4 times during the ordeal (asking a different stranger passing by to use their phone every time)

2. AAA was not able to remedy the issue because I lost the valet key to the glove compartment. Where I had my phone, wallet and key fob in a special signal blocking pouch. I went surfing that day and didn't want my electronic key to get wet. AAA doesn't open glove boxes, you'd need a locksmith for that. They could have towed me to the dealership to make a replacement key. But they couldn't tow either (parallel parking)

3. If someone knows how to call Uber without phone or money - please tell me how you do that. Lexus could have offered to get an Uber, but they didn't even mention this option. I only thought of it later when the AAA guy brought it up - they do it for their customers.

4. Calling friends/family would be a terrific idea if I remembered any of their numbers by heart. I now learned the hard way to memorize a few numbers and recommend everyone to do the same.

5. I believe none of this would have happened if I had had roadside assistance directly through AAA or car insurance, never had a problem with them.

6. The MOST disappointing part is when they erased me from the call sheet and told the AAA person to just be on his way leaving me there.

I hope no one ever ends up in a situation like this. Lexus is just a middle man and I wouldn't put my or my loved ones' safety in their hands again.

Last edited by daraopa; 08-24-20 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-25-20, 12:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Honestly, you may not like to hear this but I think you’re expecting too much here. Roadside assistance is not a concierge service, they dispatch someone to change a tire or jumpstart or tow your car. Your situation was pretty extreme, all your stuff was locked in the car AND locked in the glovebox. It wouldn’t even occur to me to do that.

They’re not going to call you an Uber. You could have called a Taxi. You could have sat in a coffee shop in the air conditioning. You could have relaxed on the beach. Keeping you safe isn’t their job.

AAA and any roadside varies widely in how quickly they show up. That’s just how it is. I’ve called them before to change a tire and the wait was so long that I just changed the tire myself. This could have happened with any roadside service.

So I think you’ve learned, you shouldn’t lock all your stuff in a locked compartment in a locked car. Memorize a few numbers. Get a watertight bag or something to wear on your waist with the key to the car, a credit card and some cash.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-25-20 at 12:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dklanecky1 (08-26-20)
Old 08-25-20, 05:35 PM
daraopa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Honestly, you may not like to hear this but I think you’re expecting too much here. Roadside assistance is not a concierge service, they dispatch someone to change a tire or jumpstart or tow your car. Your situation was pretty extreme, all your stuff was locked in the car AND locked in the glovebox. It wouldn’t even occur to me to do that.
SW17LS my point here is to share objective facts, everyone is entitled to their opinions and choices they may make based on someone else's experience. I disagree on expectations, everyone should be able to receive the most essential things from roadside assistance. Otherwise what's the point? I might as well have gone hitchhiking, had I known there would be no help. Might have gotten out of that situation a lot sooner.

1. Expectation #1: Accurately assess the situation and send the right help the first time
Reality: I let them know the first time I called that the key fob is locked in the glove box. Sending a lockout service wasn't helpful in the situation.

2. Expectation #2: Verify a car can be towed and dispatch a tow truck as soon as possible due to safety concerns.
Reality: I'm not a towing expert but I did communicate over the phone that it looked like a difficult case because I was parked parallel with vehicles on each side. Tow truck arrived 2 hours later only to tell me they can't tow the car.

They’re not going to call you an Uber. You could have called a Taxi. You could have sat in a coffee shop in the air conditioning. You could have relaxed on the beach. Keeping you safe isn’t their job.
They advise to stay with your vehicle while you wait for roadside assistance. There were no coffee shops or any other businesses close by to sit around & chill like you suggested. Again, I didn't have a phone to receive a call once they arrived so obviously did not want to miss them. I was also worried my car might get stolen too if the key had been found by the wrong person (my surfboard was gone in 10 minutes.) Relaxing on the beach somehow didn't cross my mind. AAA does call Uber or sends a rental car for their customers, I'm sure the cost would be lower than the cost of towing so why the hell not.

AAA and any roadside varies widely in how quickly they show up. That’s just how it is. I’ve called them before to change a tire and the wait was so long that I just changed the tire myself. This could have happened with any roadside service.
Sorry to hear about the long wait time you've had with them. But that's a good skill to have!
Old 08-25-20, 05:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I have had AAA for many years, they don’t call Uber’s or Taxis, they just dispatch people just like Lexus does. They will not send you a rental car. Like I said before, it’s not a concierge service is just a roadside assistance service. If they can’t help you with roadside assistance, then you’re on your own. They would have never sent a tow truck in the first place for a lockout, and in some situations depending on how the car is parked, a car simply cannot be towed. If AAA won’t break into a glovebox, there isn’t anything they can do to help you in your situation. There wasn’t anybody that they could send.

Bottom line is don’t lose your key. Don’t lock your wallet and phone inside a locked compartment inside a locked car. Lexus isn’t responsible for keeping you safe, you are.
Old 08-25-20, 05:59 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

I, too, had a bad experience with AAA years ago. When I complained about the repeated delays in a snow storm, the guy in the gas station actually told me that they had to take paying customers first. That was an eye opener. I decided to cancel my AAA membership. Next time I need roadside service, I'll be a paying customer instead.

It's been about 20 years since that incident. I haven't needed hardly any roadside assistance since then. That's why I own a Lexus.
The following users liked this post:
SW17LS (08-25-20)
Old 08-25-20, 06:19 PM
daraopa
Driver School Candidate

I have had AAA for many years, they don’t call Uber’s or Taxis, they just dispatch people just like Lexus does.
AAA technician informed me of the Uber option they have available for their customers. You should check what's included with your plan.

Bottom line is don’t lose your key. Lexus isn’t responsible for keeping you safe, you are.
Don't lose the key is a great advice. Along the lines of "don't get covid-19" or "don't break your leg." Emergencies can happen with anyone. That's what such services are for - to make your life a little easier in case something goes wrong, not the other way around. What I expected from Lexus are very basic roadside assistance things, not sure why you're turning on me here

Don’t lock your wallet and phone inside a locked compartment inside a locked car.
Funny, I started locking valuables in the glove compartment after thieves broke-in another car and stole someone's wallet in the same area - left in the unlocked compartment. "Don't leave anything valuable in the car" would be another advice but again - for those who engage in outdoor activities like surfing - it's not really a solid option. You can't predict all the situations and I think you missed my point.

From Lexus website:
Driving your Lexus shouldn't just give you a feeling of exhilaration - it should make you feel protected wherever you go. We'll help keep you close to safety no matter how far you venture.

Last edited by daraopa; 08-26-20 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-25-20, 06:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by daraopa
AAA technician informed me of the Uber option they have available for their customers. You should check what's included with your plan.
But again, Lexus Roadside is not AAA. AAA members have a lot of perks that Lexus Roadside doesn't give you, which is why I have kept AAA even though I always drive new cars that have roadside assistance and have many credit cards that offer it.

Don't lose the key is a great advice. Along the lines of "don't get covid-19" or "don't break your leg." Emergencies happen with the best of us. That's what such services are for - to make your life a little easier in case something goes wrong, not the other way around. What I expected from Lexus are very basic roadside assistance things, not sure why you're turning on me here
What you have described here is not "basic roadside assistance" at all. Basic roadside assistance includes changing a flat tire, jumping a dead battery, bringing you fuel if you run out, and towing your car if its broken down. It doesn't include getting into your locked glovebox, calling you an Uber, towing your car out of a space where such a thing is not possible, or finding your keys on the beach. It doesn't include keeping you safe from heat and giving you water while you wait.

Not turning on you at all, but you're taking responsibility off of your shoulders and putting it on Lexus. Your post is self indulgent and full of drama.

Funny, I started locking valuables in the glove compartment after thieves broke-in another car and stole someone's wallet in the same area - left in the unlocked compartment. "Don't leave anything valuable in the car" would be another advice but again - for those who engage in outdoor activities like surfing - it's not really a solid option. You can't predict all the situations and I think you missed my point.
Google "Waterproof Surfing Bag"

https://spibelt.com/shop/spibelt/spi...iABEgJ-1vD_BwE

Just as you "can't predict all situations" nor can Lexus when designing the Roadside Assistance program. Being locked out of your car AND your glovebox in the car is not a typical situation by a long shot.

From Lexus website:
Driving your Lexus shouldn't just give you a feeling of exhilaration - it should make you feel protected wherever you go. We'll help keep you close to safety no matter how far you venture.
See, that doesn't telegraph anything you were expecting to me at all. They mean the car is a safe car, they don't mean they will protect you from the heat when you lose your keys on the beach. Doesn't sound to me like there's a lot more they could do for you. I would have called a Taxi from the phone that I borrowed, and gone home to get my second key, and come back. I don't think I would have even called Lexus roadside, because without a key what can they do for me?

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-25-20 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-26-20, 05:35 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

AAA members have a lot of perks that Lexus Roadside doesn't give you, which is why I have kept AAA even though I always drive new cars that have roadside assistance and have many credit cards that offer it.
Hotel discounts? Free maps?
Old 08-26-20, 06:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DavidZ
Hotel discounts? Free maps?
Hotel discounts, rental car discounts, insurance discounts. You’d be surprised what pops up you can get a discount on. I always make back my membership and then some just on discounts.
Old 08-26-20, 09:26 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Hotel discounts, rental car discounts, insurance discounts. You’d be surprised what pops up you can get a discount on. I always make back my membership and then some just on discounts.
Nickle and dime stuff. Not worth the effort. Besides, there are other ways to get the same discounts, so if you're counting them you're miscounting.

More importantly, I wouldn't call AAA if it were free. It's second class service. I'm willing to pay for first class service. But it actually works out cheaper paying because I only need it once every 5 or 10 years and the membership cost is every year.

Quick Reply: Lexus Roadside Assistance?