ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Lexus Roadside Assistance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-20 | 10:33 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You never mentioned what you do to ensure that you get “first class service” when you need some sort of roadside assistance...if you are on a highway somewhere out of your area and you need help...who do you call? Do you just start calling gas stations until you find one who even can respond?
As I said earlier, I need roadside assistance about once or twice a decade. And it's not that hard to find local service with cell phones today.

Im not passionate about this at all...
You could have fooled me. And Mike, too.

I’m just interested as to why AAA seems to make you so angry.
Apparently, you think you can read a person's emotions over a computer. Well, I've got news for you. You're not very good at it.
Old 08-28-20 | 10:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Whatever you say lol

I just have no interest to try and find a direct source of roadside assistance. Like you said, it’s once every however many years and I just use whatever I have, AAA, manufacturer, credit card, insurance. All are going to work fine. I wouldn’t keep AAA except for the fact that the discounts pay for it many times over.
Old 08-28-20 | 10:55 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DavidZ
As I said earlier, I need roadside assistance about once or twice a decade. And it's not that hard to find local service with cell phones today.

You could have fooled me. And Mike, too.

Apparently, you think you can read a person's emotions over a computer. Well, I've got news for you. You're not very good at it.
I'm becoming passionate about this thread. As far as roadside assistance is concerned though, I could NOT care less about the topic. I used them last Dec as I mentioned and can't recall the time before then so it may have been before cars had fuel injection
Old 08-28-20 | 10:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I'm becoming passionate about this thread. As far as roadside assistance is concerned though, I could NOT care less about the topic. I used them last Dec as I mentioned and can't recall the time before then so it may have been before cars had fuel injection
Exactly. Thread is fun, roadside assistance is roadside assistance lol
Old 08-28-20 | 11:13 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Hmmm. If I decide to become passionate it won't be about roadside assistance...
Old 08-28-20 | 11:43 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikemu30
You're on fire here I think I have to get another bag of popcorn! Who could have thought a thread on tow trucks would drive such passion on a Lexus forum.
For those really getting into it, plan a trip to Chattanooga (where the tow truck was invented by Ernest Holmes around 1916) and visit the International Towing Museum!
The following 2 users liked this post by wasjr:
2KHarrier (08-31-20), bc6152 (08-28-20)
Old 08-28-20 | 12:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wasjr
For those really getting into it, plan a trip to Chattanooga (where the tow truck was invented by Ernest Holmes around 1916) and visit the International Towing Museum!
Now THATS a Saturday!
Old 08-28-20 | 12:18 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by wasjr
There's a 3 hour wait to get in.
Old 08-28-20 | 01:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If anybody is coming through DC and needs assistance, just call me lol
Old 08-29-20 | 07:35 AM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Talking DC assisitance

If anybody is coming through DC and needs assistance, just call me lol
Lately, it seems that anyone who comes through DC "needs" assistance!
Old 08-29-20 | 07:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dklanecky1
Lately, it seems that anyone who comes through DC "needs" assistance!
Thats true lol
The following users liked this post:
dklanecky1 (08-29-20)
Old 08-30-20 | 11:13 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

This article confirms my claim that tow companies take paying customers over AAA members during snow storms. Here's a quote:
While most tow companies agree that the roadside assistance services provided by clubs like AAA benefit the customer, they say those lower-paying calls can fall to the wayside during snowstorms. According to towPartners, its members said they would not accept a call from a motor club they don't already work for unless the basic rate was, on average, more than $46. Clark's Towing owner Bob Clark said he has picked up many stranded AAA customers during storms who had been waiting for hours because the designated contractor for that area is busy and other companies don't want to take the job.
Here's another article from 2011 about a tow company that was suing AAA claiming that AAA's change in survey firm caused his tow company to go out of business. According to this article, the AAA reimbursement rate was $19 to $23 back in 2011. However, they pay large bonuses based on customer surveys.
Old 08-30-20 | 11:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I’m not refuting that. It makes perfect sense, but like I said here and in a lot of other areas AAA operates their own fleet of response vehicles.

And even when they don’t, what else are you going to do? It’s just not convenient IMO to have to try and find a good direct solution for roadside assistance when the need arises, especially if you are out of your area. If you haven’t called a gas station for instance in 10 years how do you know that they even still do something like that?

In a snow storm or something you just gotta wait to be rescued. So do people when they call 911, etc.
Old 08-30-20 | 11:35 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

I’m not refuting that. It makes perfect sense, but like I said here and in a lot of other areas AAA operates their own fleet of response vehicles.

And even when they don’t, what else are you going to do? It’s just not convenient IMO to have to try and find a good direct solution for roadside assistance when the need arises, especially if you are out of your area. If you haven’t called a gas station for instance in 10 years how do you know that they even still do something like that?

In a snow storm or something you just gotta wait to be rescued. So do people when they call 911, etc.
If you call a local tow company or gas station there's a chance they'll take you ahead of a AAA member who called in first. Why would you want to get in line for service only to have paying customers systemically allowed to cut in line ahead of you?
Old 08-30-20 | 01:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DavidZ
If you call a local tow company or gas station there's a chance they'll take you ahead of a AAA member who called in first. Why would you want to get in line for service only to have paying customers systemically allowed to cut in line ahead of you?
But I have to find a local tow company or gas station that does roadside calls, vs just calling Lexus Roadside or AAA. It’s just something that would never even occur to me to do.

I would venture to say very few people call directly for such help either, they go through a roadside outlet...so there won’t be a ton of direct calls getting in front of you anyways. Time I spend googling and figuring out who to call and calling around is time I could have spent just waiting my turn. If these companies hate AAA And other roadside services so much why do they take their calls? Because everybody calls those services and without them they wouldn’t have any business.

Its just not that important to me to be “first”. If they’re busy, I can wait.

Quick Reply: Lexus Roadside Assistance?