ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Is There a Voice Command to Change the Center Display?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-19, 12:13 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts
Default Is There a Voice Command to Change the Center Display?

Is there a voice command to change the Center Display? For example, when the Map is displayed, I'd like to be able to say "Show Audio" or "Change the Center Display to Audio," but these commands don't work. I realize that I can do a split screen, but is there a voice command for that? It would be easier, and safer, to do these things by voice.
Old 10-08-19, 03:00 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Good question but there are hard buttons right there for radio, media, map etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
bc6152 (10-09-19), DavidZ (10-10-19)
Old 10-09-19, 12:06 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

Not trying to hijack the thread but this is related; I was using the navigation system yesterday and when I got near my destination I knew the rest of the way. So I wanted to stop the voice indicating turns, etc but didn't know how. I looked through settings, navigation menu, and anything else I could find without luck... In desperation I said "cancel navigation". Now most of you out there might have already knew that but I didn't and some others probably don't either... Well it worked and she said "route guidance canceled" and then "are you sure you know the way?". No, actually she didn't say that...JK,JK... Cancel navigation did work though...
The following 2 users liked this post by bc6152:
Tootsall (10-09-19), User 41924 (10-09-19)
Old 10-09-19, 12:29 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
Not trying to hijack the thread but this is related; I was using the navigation system yesterday and when I got near my destination I knew the rest of the way. So I wanted to stop the voice indicating turns, etc but didn't know how. I looked through settings, navigation menu, and anything else I could find without luck... In desperation I said "cancel navigation". Now most of you out there might have already knew that but I didn't and some others probably don't either... Well it worked and she said "route guidance canceled" and then "are you sure you know the way?". No, actually she didn't say that...JK,JK... Cancel navigation did work though...
You can also mute the sound with one click on the left side of the map. Then it cancels once you arrive. Welcome
Old 10-09-19, 01:50 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Good question but there are hard buttons right there for radio, media, map etc.
Thanks. I'd forgotten about those button. But they change the input source. I want to change the display without changing the input source.

i like to toggle back and forth between the map and full screen audio. When I'm on the audio, I can just hit the map button or the go back button. But when I'm on the map, the only way to get back to audio is to hit the menu button and use the touch pad to select audio. I don't know why the go back button doesn't work once you go to map. Logically, it seems you should just be able to keep hitting the go back button to toggle between map and audio.
Old 10-09-19, 02:19 PM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidZ
..... Logically, it seems you should just be able to keep hitting the go back button to toggle between map and audio.
LOL You are absolutely right!!! Unfortunately, logic has little to do with it. I love my car and really like Lexus, I will buy more, if I have the need or opportunity. But innovation and logic are NOT among the things they do best. Or well. We've had 6 Lexus (Lexi?) over 10 years. I can't tell you how many times I've asked myself "Who thought THAT would be a good idea, and why?".
Old 10-09-19, 02:41 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidZ
Thanks. I'd forgotten about those button. But they change the input source. I want to change the display without changing the input source.

i like to toggle back and forth between the map and full screen audio. When I'm on the audio, I can just hit the map button or the go back button. But when I'm on the map, the only way to get back to audio is to hit the menu button and use the touch pad to select audio. I don't know why the go back button doesn't work once you go to map. Logically, it seems you should just be able to keep hitting the go back button to toggle between map and audio.
I share your frustration with the Media and Radio switches, assuming they function in your ES like they do in my GS. But I think I finally have this issue figured out.

If you are listening to the radio (AM/FM/Sat) and you push the Radio button, the display will pop up and NOT change the source. But if you hit Media, it will change the source from your current radio selection to one of the media inputs, like Slacker, iHeart radio, etc.

Similarly, if you are listening to a media source (such as Slacker or Bluetooth) and hit the Media switch, it will pull up the display without changing the source, but if you hit the Radio switch, it'll move you over to a radio source (AM/FM/Sat).

I hope I explained this well. Try this on your ES and see if it works as it does in my GS.
The following 2 users liked this post by JDR76:
DavidZ (10-10-19), mcomer (10-09-19)
Old 10-10-19, 09:30 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by JDR76
I share your frustration with the Media and Radio switches, assuming they function in your ES like they do in my GS. But I think I finally have this issue figured out.

If you are listening to the radio (AM/FM/Sat) and you push the Radio button, the display will pop up and NOT change the source. But if you hit Media, it will change the source from your current radio selection to one of the media inputs, like Slacker, iHeart radio, etc.

Similarly, if you are listening to a media source (such as Slacker or Bluetooth) and hit the Media switch, it will pull up the display without changing the source, but if you hit the Radio switch, it'll move you over to a radio source (AM/FM/Sat).

I hope I explained this well. Try this on your ES and see if it works as it does in my GS.
Thanks! I just tried it out and it works. I'll have to play around with it for a while to see how to best use these options.
The following users liked this post:
JDR76 (10-10-19)
Old 10-10-19, 09:59 AM
FTBoomer
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Ultimate Voice Command Cheat Sheet

https://northparklexusatdominion.wor...d-cheat-sheet/
The following users liked this post:
bc6152 (10-10-19)
Old 10-10-19, 03:13 PM
bc6152