ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Negotiation on the ES 2019 now that 2020 is out

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-19, 03:26 PM
Trickspin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Negotiation on the ES 2019 now that 2020 is out

Now that 2020 ES models are out, do dealers try to give bigger discounts to clear the 2019 models from their lot.
I went to my local dealer looking for a 2019 model. expecting discount The MRSP is 51K, the dealer price was 2.5 k less and they also offered a rebate which brought down the price to 46k before taxes.
Can i negotiate more with my dealer. Others suggest that dealers reduce the price for about 10-15% during negotiation.
Old 10-10-19, 03:47 PM
fugee
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My experience over the past month is that dealers have been going down to about 44k based on MSRP of 49-51k
Old 10-10-19, 04:42 PM
ChrisPh
Driver

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts

It's time to shoot for 18%-20% off MSRP including cash rebates for '19 models.
Old 10-10-19, 05:42 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,560 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisPh
True - i got roughly 10% off last December when the model was just released. Im sure the mfr incentives are greater now on the leftover 19s.
Old 10-12-19, 12:28 PM
LexusPV
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trickspin
Now that 2020 ES models are out, do dealers try to give bigger discounts to clear the 2019 models from their lot.
I went to my local dealer looking for a 2019 model. expecting discount The MRSP is 51K, the dealer price was 2.5 k less and they also offered a rebate which brought down the price to 46k before taxes.
Can i negotiate more with my dealer. Others suggest that dealers reduce the price for about 10-15% during negotiation.
You should be able to get over $6K in dealer discount before rebate.
Old 10-12-19, 01:17 PM
athanato
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

In Canada we have online broker sites (APA, Car Cost Canada, Car Help Canada) that offer to expose hidden rebates and hook you up with dealers that associate with them to offer extra discounts.
I got 9k off my 2018 IS last month even though my quote was not as deep as it was for the 2019, they just happened to have a 2018 new old stock that we found so I pushed them further down using the broker quote.
I'm sure you have such online sites in the US.
Old 11-08-19, 11:30 PM
2019ES350
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

In the US, I've heard that 18-20% off MSRP (including $3,000 Lexus Cash) is reasonable at this time of the year. Others have recent experience?
Old 11-09-19, 10:53 AM
850glt
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChrisPh
This forum has given me that expectation, but I’m simply not able to get it. Have tried multiple dealers with cash in hand. If anyone has actually gotten that kind of deal, I’d love to hear the details.
Old 11-09-19, 11:07 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 850glt
This forum has given me that expectation, but I’m simply not able to get it. Have tried multiple dealers with cash in hand. If anyone has actually gotten that kind of deal, I’d love to hear the details.
Considering the 3k is roughly 6% on a 50k msrp, another 12% should be within reach on a year old car (leftover). At the end of the day, make your best offer and you may have to cave in a bit if you want the car.
Old 11-10-19, 09:44 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by 850glt
Telling a dealer you're paying cash works against you. They'd rather you finance or lease because they make a lot of money on those transactions. Maybe even more money than they make selling you the car. Same with trade ins.

In my experience, the only way to get a dealer to come down from their price is to tell them you have a better offer from another dealer. Read this post (both my post and the reply) and other posts in this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...l#post10596828
Old 11-10-19, 11:37 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

So true. The last thing a dealer wants to hear is that you're paying cash. You immediately cost yourself a sweeter deal. My dealer tried so hard to steer me to a lease. No thanks.
Old 11-10-19, 01:48 PM
2019ES350
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I totally agree with the point of never saying "cash" when negotiating a price on a car you want to buy. For years I have always left the financing question open until a firm price was agreed upon and they always assume monthly payments will be involved via a loan or lease. Then at the last minute I "decide" to pay cash. Works every time.

Now, back to the central question, has anyone been successful in negotiating a discount from MSRP in the 18-20% area (including Lexus Cash)? While the remaining stock of 2019 ES 350's may be low at some dealers across the US, in the SF Bay Area there are still plenty on the dealers' lots. Time to move them out!
Old 11-10-19, 03:34 PM
ChrisPh
Driver

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 2019ES350
I totally agree with the point of never saying "cash" when negotiating a price on a car you want to buy. For years I have always left the financing question open until a firm price was agreed upon and they always assume monthly payments will be involved via a loan or lease. Then at the last minute I "decide" to pay cash. Works every time.

Now, back to the central question, has anyone been successful in negotiating a discount from MSRP in the 18-20% area (including Lexus Cash)? While the remaining stock of 2019 ES 350's may be low at some dealers across the US, in the SF Bay Area there are still plenty on the dealers' lots. Time to move them out!
When I negotiated my ES350 Fsport back in mid-Sept with Jim Falk Lexus of Beverly Hills, they asked me if I pay cash or finance, I told them let's do the price first then I will decide what kind of payment method I will pay. I got $9,200 off including $2,750 cash rebate (MSRP $51,735) (17.8% off). Now the rebate increases to $3.5K for Fsport trim, that another 1.5% extra discount. I've just checked, they still have 10 ES350 in their lot for 2019s.
Old 11-12-19, 10:08 AM
scubadvr1
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Just remember, whatever price they agree to, make sure there are no additional "fees" added in when you finally sit with your checkbook and their finance guy. The price the salesperson quotes you MUST include all fees, before sales tax, or you're going to get hit with a thousand dollars worth of B.S. fees like "dealer prep fee", "electronic filing fee", "documentation fee", etc. etc. all of which are nothing but pure profit for the dealer. Check the Lexus website with your zipcode and you can see what rebates the factory is giving dealerships in your area. If the dealerships still have a bunch of 19's on the lot, a price, including all these fees, should still be had for at least 15% off MSRP. And I agree with the others, DON'T tell them you're paying cash. Dealers LITERALLY make more money from the financing than they do from the car itself. Also, the second half of the "December to remember sale" starts the first week of December. If you think your car will still be available by then, the rebates might get better if things are slow.
Old 11-12-19, 12:17 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scubadvr1
Just remember, whatever price they agree to, make sure there are no additional "fees" added in when you finally sit with your checkbook and their finance guy. The price the salesperson quotes you MUST include all fees, before sales tax, or you're going to get hit with a thousand dollars worth of B.S. fees like "dealer prep fee", "electronic filing fee", "documentation fee", etc. etc. all of which are nothing but pure profit for the dealer. Check the Lexus website with your zipcode and you can see what rebates the factory is giving dealerships in your area. If the dealerships still have a bunch of 19's on the lot, a price, including all these fees, should still be had for at least 15% off MSRP. And I agree with the others, DON'T tell them you're paying cash. Dealers LITERALLY make more money from the financing than they do from the car itself. Also, the second half of the "December to remember sale" starts the first week of December. If you think your car will still be available by then, the rebates might get better if things are slow.
Paint protection fee - that's one they tried on me. No thanks. They said "but it's already been applied to the paint". I said - good for me

Quick Reply: Negotiation on the ES 2019 now that 2020 is out