ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Rattling noise from the driver side door of ES 350 F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-19 | 08:43 PM
lexdanbury
Driver School Candidate

Default Rattling noise from the driver side door of ES 350 F Sport

I have a 19 ES 350 F Sport for about 8 months now and have been noticing a rattling sound from the driver side door when on a bumpy road.
It looks like something is loose and shaking...very annoying. Has anyone experienced the same thing?
Also I wish they made a better sound when shutting the door like those German competitors.
Old 10-29-19 | 02:04 AM
acotugno
Driver

I wouldn't consider what I experience from the driver's side door a rattling sound but I do get a minor and fairly constant "creaky/squeaky" noise from the driver's side interior panel. Can't pinpoint where it is coming from but it appears to be towards the top. That is going to be a difficult one for the dealer to figure out. I've had the car less than two months now and started noticing this about 3 weeks ago. Might just live with it rather than have the dealer tear apart the door panel looking for a "ghost".

I've had many Lexus vehicles in the past 15-20 years, latest one before this 2019 ES350 FSport was a 2017 RX350 FSport. I've typically leased, some I've purchased. This 2019 ES350 FSport I purchased. I do like the car, it rides really smooth but in my humble opinion, the build quality does not seem up to par with past Lexus vehicles I've had which include that RX350, some GS350s, a GS400, a LS400 and a GS300. I'm going back in years here - I know. So something seems to be slipping a bit in quality with Lexus which is disappointing as a die-hard Lexus owner. I'm not referring to the door issue alone - having other minor but annoying issues as well.
The following users liked this post:
lexdanbury (10-29-19)
Old 10-29-19 | 07:06 PM
lexdanbury
Driver School Candidate

It is my first Lexus and maybe I just had too high expectations from this brand and should have spent more time on the test drive. But overall, the car is pretty impressive!
Old 10-30-19 | 08:48 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

I owned a Mercedes S-class a few years ago which is why when I purchased the ES I had very low expectations in terms of quality and luxury. I was surprisingly amazed at how close it got to the S-class and I'm very happy with my purchase. She is far from perfect but a great vehicle none the less.
Old 09-13-20 | 06:07 PM
UPWA
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem on my GS
The dealer tried to fix my car several times but the noise is still persisting
Even though loaner cars are making rattles on the driver side around the seatbelt adjuster
Old 09-14-20 | 07:15 AM
tkjso
Driver School Candidate

i have a 2019 ES 350, and have experienced the same issue on both front driver and passenger doors. I don't really notice it going over bumps but definitely hear it when closing the door. The rattle starts off pretty faint and will get worse over time. I have raised the issue to Lexus, and am in the process of making an appointment with the body shop. While visiting the body shop, another ES was being fixed for the same issue.

This is also my first Lexus and am disapointed by the number of issues i have had so far.
Old 09-14-20 | 10:09 AM
UPWA
Driver School Candidate

They must fix this issue

Last edited by UPWA; 09-25-20 at 02:03 AM. Reason: wrong sentence
Old 09-23-20 | 07:27 AM
tkjso
Driver School Candidate

Finally got the front doors fixed yesterday. The body shop re-attached the safety bar on both front doors with adhesive. These bars should have been glued tight to the door frame but the service manager showed me a picture with an one inch gap between the frame and the door.

Problem is now fixed and Lexus is also aware of the issue.
Old 09-25-20 | 02:13 AM
UPWA
Driver School Candidate

I searched it on google but I can't find anything about safety bar lol
Edited: You meant side impact bar?

Last edited by UPWA; 09-25-20 at 02:47 AM. Reason: more info
Old 09-25-20 | 04:57 AM
Lexuss07
Driver

The build quality of the latest ES is disappointing--very tinney feeling. The 2013-18 gen is far more solid feeling.
Old 09-25-20 | 08:17 AM
tkjso
Driver School Candidate

i think we are talking about the same thing.
Old 09-27-20 | 09:02 PM
JRandy
Rookie

Default Preview of Build Quality of 2019 ES

Originally Posted by Lexuss07
The build quality of the latest ES is disappointing--very tinney feeling. The 2013-18 gen is far more solid feeling.
I saved a link to a very thorough Lexus Technical Review that came out on June 6, 2018. This is a link to the entire review. https://lexusenthusiast.com/2018/06/...hnical-review/
Among other things in it it said "The new ES is approximately 137 pounds (62 kg) lighter than the current model due to the greater use of lightweight materials and thinner outer panels:"

Shortly before reading the Review I had just been driving during a violent thunderstorm with hail. My 2013 survived unscathed but I was unfavorably impressed with a car with an aluminum hood and thinner other panels. A few months later I replaced the 2013 ES with a 2017 ES 350 CPO.

Old 10-20-20 | 12:08 AM
maverick9
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tkjso
Finally got the front doors fixed yesterday. The body shop re-attached the safety bar on both front doors with adhesive. These bars should have been glued tight to the door frame but the service manager showed me a picture with an one inch gap between the frame and the door.

Problem is now fixed and Lexus is also aware of the issue.
@tkjso
mind sharing what exactly is the safety bar that you mentioned about?
I’m facing the same problem, mine is the Right Hand drive model.
Cheers

Last edited by maverick9; 10-20-20 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-20-20 | 06:42 AM
tkjso
Driver School Candidate

maverick9,

i looked on the invoice from Lexus, it says "re-attach safety bar with adhesive", someone else also referred to it as the side impact bar.

it's a steel beam that sits inside your front doors, if you bring it to your dealer, they should be able to identify it with no problem. They will have to take the door apart to see if it's loose.

good luck.
Old 10-20-20 | 09:34 AM
maverick9
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tkjso
maverick9,

i looked on the invoice from Lexus, it says "re-attach safety bar with adhesive", someone else also referred to it as the side impact bar.

it's a steel beam that sits inside your front doors, if you bring it to your dealer, they should be able to identify it with no problem. They will have to take the door apart to see if it's loose.

good luck.
@tkjso

thank you so much!
just to double confirm, is the rattling noise similar as the video shown below?
(Do turn up the volume if it’s not audible to you ya)

Thank you!

Last edited by maverick9; 10-20-20 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Link

Quick Reply: Rattling noise from the driver side door of ES 350 F Sport