ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2020 ES What color?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-22, 06:15 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by mattsrs
Its a subjective topic but I personally like the contrast of different elements on lighter cars. Also, car looks a lot cleaner without regular wash compared to dark colors. I had 21 hybrid lux in black and one of the reasons I sold it was that it always look dirty a few days after washing it. White or silver gets my vote.

White is a very beautiful color and it has excellent contrast and is easier to keep clean. We've owned white cars for many years and liked the color combination a lot, but we want something different other than white this time around, so that's why we are getting the matador red mica.
Old 03-05-22, 06:30 PM
PrznPrince
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I've really loved Nebula Grey (on my previous 2014) and now Cloudburst Grey on my 2022. I actually would normally go for Black, but that gets too hot/dusty too easily and while I like Silver, it seems...quaint? Grey really provides the best of both for me while making it a bit more unique on the road. Palimino has also been absolutely amazing as well compared to Parchment. Only change Im considering is getting the Noise Reduction Rims, I REALLY like the look of those although the standard two tone 18 rims do have their charm/are growing on me.

However, my all time favorite Lexus color is Emerald Green, my brother had that on his ES back then and I so wish that would make a comeback as Sunlit Green isn't cutting it there

Last edited by PrznPrince; 03-05-22 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-05-22, 07:08 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by PrznPrince
However, my all time favorite Lexus color is Emerald Green, my brother had that on his ES back then and I so wish that would make a comeback as Sunlit Green isn't cutting it there
I agree with you that Emerald Green is a very attractive color. To my eyes it's one of those blue-green colors that were so popular from multiple Japanese makers in the '90s (notably the medium teal so ubiquitous on Accords circa '92, and copied pretty much intact later on the first large Altima).

Sunlit Green is a nice color. It's so dissimilar to Emerald Green that the two could easily coexist in a color palette. Overall, I do hope that cars in colors make a comeback someday.
Old 03-05-22, 09:59 PM
RMLex
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 93LexusSC
I am considering getting a 2020 ES350 with the Ultra Luxury package. What exterior color do you all think is the best to go for?
I have the Eminent White Pearl and black interior. Love the white with the pano roof combo. However if, I could go back would select the flaxen interior.

Old 03-05-22, 10:01 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Well I doubt I would drop 50k (or any amount quite frankly) on a car that wasn't the color I wanted.

That is one of the reasons why I waited 6-7 months.
The following users liked this post:
glamglam (03-06-22)
Old 03-06-22, 06:54 AM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by ESh
That is one of the reasons why I waited 6-7 months.
…….and that’s exactly why I’m waiting for mine too. Because I want to get the exact color and options with mine.
Old 03-06-22, 02:37 PM
Dallas250
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

I’m gonna vote for ultrasonic blue Mica 2.0 if you’re good at taking care of vehicle paint. If you’re going to use automatic car washes you better stick to white or silver..lol

The following users liked this post:
ESh (03-06-22)
Old 03-06-22, 02:45 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Solana
Our local dealer had all the colors lined up so when we purchased our 2020 ES 350 Ultra we could see them all together. The color that stood out to us was the Moonbeam with Chateau interior a new color for 2019. Which seemed to accentuate the beautiful lines of the car as well as the chrome, black and gray details. The Château interior looks great with the Moonbeam. I think if the word beige was removed from the color it would make it psychologically more appealing. The color is mostly silver with a yellow/greenish tint at times. We’ve had many compliments on the cars color.Lighter colors age better and show less dirt. Being that we live in costal California we needed a cooler color.

Looks great at night

Looks silver at times

Richer looking than plain silver
I wholeheartedly agree!
The following 2 users liked this post by DavidZ:
ATL350 (03-08-22), scharffnh (11-18-23)
Old 03-06-22, 03:02 PM
TXWJ
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Actually there isn’t a bad a bad color,

I have always been partial to white. If I ordered a car if would have been a Ultra Luxery Eminent White Pearl Black Interior.

I was able to find a L Certified 2020 Ultra Luxery Eminent White Chateau.

Old 03-06-22, 05:38 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallas250
I’m gonna vote for ultrasonic blue Mica 2.0 if you’re good at taking care of vehicle paint. If you’re going to use automatic car washes you better stick to white or silver..lol

USB is gorgeous and I was a moment away from buying that one but after giving it more thought, I couldn't walk away from ultra white. Call me BORING😉
Old 03-06-22, 05:39 PM
mattsrs
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallas250

it would be my pick if it was 1-2 shades darker
Old 03-06-22, 07:49 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by Freds430
My choices would be atomic silver, white and silver lining in that order. Both our ES and RX are silver lining. Wanted atomic silver when purchasing both but with my circumstances none were available. Color is a personal choice but would never buy a dark color. They are way to hard to keep clean and you will forever be dealing with swirl marks. Don't be allured by the colors in the showroom cleaned and wax under the lights. Go out on the lot and look at the colors on the cars that have been in the environment. Someone posted this on another thread and just 100% spot on.

There’s nothing sexier than a shiny, clean black car. Nothing!
There is nothing LESS sexy than a dusty, or dirty, or scratched black car. Nothing!

When you’re looking for a new car, the black one will seduce you. You’ll look at that model in another color, think about being practical, but the black one will wink at you. Tip its chin. Purr, “Hey baby… I want you inside me.” Walk away NOW, or you’ll take it for a test drive. When you get into a black car for the first time, you’ll feel dangerously sexier than you ever felt in your whole life. Your inner panther will roar. You’ll tingle in places you forgot you had. You’ll like it. And, chances are - you’ll buy it. The other cars just won’t make you tingle like that. Your only protection is to never get behind the wheel of a black car in the first place. Just walk away, and life will be uncomplicated. But, you’ll always wonder…what if.

A thin film of dust becomes luminescent on a black car. Every single spot of anything, even dried sterile water, stands out like a goober zit on prom night. At first, it will disturb and upset you so much that you’ll wash your car immediately. And…then it’ll be dusty again before you even finish drying it. An unknown little fact: Black cars only stay clean for a mere 42 seconds. But, they are the sexiest 42 seconds you’ll ever know. Because of that 42 second rush, you’ll wash your black baby faithfully every weekend. For the first year anyway. And then, all those scratches and swirls you put in the paint taking care of your baby will erode your resolve. You’ll start skipping. People will stare at your car in disgust, and make all sorts of judgments about your sloppiness. You'll scream things at them like; 'Shut up - I just washed this damn car 15 minutes ago.' Of course, you could always buy the black car and make it a garage queen...and never drive it. That's really smart! But hey, it will still get dusty...and all scratched up by you carefully hand washing it.

If you’ve never owned a black car - you may want to admire them from afar, with someone else dealing with all that goes with owning a black car. But...maybe you're the kind of guy that is 'up for the job'. Because maybe you have loads of time and energy to deal with it. If so, you either don't have a job, or a wife, or a girlfriend (or both!), or children...or a even a life!

A scratch on a black car means only one thing - extreme sadness. Be prepared, because you will have zillions of tiny scratches all over your black beauty. You know what color the car is underneath that glossy black? White. You know what scratches black cars? Car washes. Yes, you must always wash it by hand, or that slick black paint will be gouged with zillions of little white arcs where the car wash spinners hit it. Oh, but guess what? If you even touch your paint when you hand wash it - you too will also be putting zillions of scratches in the paint. It simply cannot be avoided. A scratched-up black car is not sexy. Don’t let your black car go like that. Don’t let it get all scratched up because you’re too lazy to wash it by hand either. Or, because it's too cold. Or, you don't have the time. Nothing is worse looking than a black car with white swirl rainbows in the black paint that is supposed to be like a fine mirror finish. Be prepared to buy thousands of dollars worth of products and tools to keep it decent looking. Are you ready to wash/clean, strip, clay, polish and wax/coat on a regular basis? All to see it looking less than sexy again as soon as you drive it around the block.

You will park under a tree only once where birds are known to perch. It will only take you one time to park under the trees in a parking lot notorious for attracting flocks of pooping birds to learn this lesson the hard way. If the bird poop remains for more than an hour on that soft black finish the paint becomes acid etched for sure, which will add nicely to all those swirls and scratches.

Black cars aren’t just hot, they are HOT. Getting into a black car on an average summer day is like getting inside a Weber barbecue with the coals at a perfect red glow. If you like to wear shorts, get used to the smell of bacon frying. It takes longer for the A/C to put out the fire.

Other than that - enjoy your black car!
Yes and no.

My last car was black. Had it 12 years. A lot of this is true. Nothing is harder to keep clean-looking than a black car.

The part about scratches and swirl marks? Nobody, regardless of paint color, should use car washes with rotating brushes. You find and use a pressure wash, and you take advantage of a rain shower to towel it down. Problem solved. Also, you use dark-colored car wax that fills rather than accentuates the swirls.

Black has its advantages, too. It hides a multitude of sins. My rear bumper had some horrible gouges and finish problems. I could literally cover them with black wax-style shoe polish and no one was the wiser. And all over the car, there's not the problem of color mismatch with dabs of touch-up paint. Black looks like black.

On the whole, when I had a choice, I didn't go for black on my new car, but as much as anything it was just change for the sake of change.
Old 03-06-22, 07:54 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by mattsrs
Its a subjective topic but I personally like the contrast of different elements on lighter cars. Also, car looks a lot cleaner without regular wash compared to dark colors. I had 21 hybrid lux in black and one of the reasons I sold it was that it always look dirty a few days after washing it. White or silver gets my vote.
The contrast depends on the car. I think it works well on the ES because the amount of trim on the sides is so spare, it adds some variety to the look. What I personally don't like as much about light colors is that they also showcase the body seams, but that's just me.

However, I think you're absolutely right about the light colors looking cleaner when the car is dirty.