ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Hiding your USB drive and cables

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-21, 08:42 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Nice ideas, guys. How did you guys remove the USB door? I tried trugging at it but no dice. Maybe i didn't look close enough. This is another area of the car i want to address. hate driving around with the cupholder door open all the time just so i can play music and use ACP. It should've been in side the glove box

the wire def needs to be hidden though. none of that stuff where the wire is taped to the outside lol. wth.
Old 04-14-21, 08:48 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

^Nevermind went out to my car and checked. It has a different USB port than you guys. the hinge on my '21 is on top. door does not appear to be removable. i'll try later with some tools but seems i'll have to disassemble the whole tray to remove the door.
Old 04-14-21, 08:59 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
hate driving around with the cupholder door open all the time just so i can play music and use ACP. It should've been in side the glove box.
First, I agree the center console should still have a USB port that works with Android Auto and CarPlay. I find it remarkable that they deleted this feature from this generation of ES. Secondly, the notion of leaving the cupholder door open all the time is amusing. Since the cupholder door covers the cupholder, my door is pretty much always open because there is a cup (bottle actually) in it. My wife almost always brings a drink with her. I can honestly say I don't understand all the statements about how terrible it is for this cupholder to be left open. Guess what, the one on the driver's side is routinely left open as well because there is also a driver frequently in the car, sometimes with a drink ... at least while it is in motion.
The following users liked this post:
kalel2127 (04-14-21)
Old 04-14-21, 09:14 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TechNut
First, I agree the center console should still have a USB port that works with Android Auto and CarPlay. I find it remarkable that they deleted this feature from this generation of ES. Secondly, the notion of leaving the cupholder door open all the time is amusing. Since the cupholder door covers the cupholder, my door is pretty much always open because there is a cup (bottle actually) in it. My wife almost always brings a drink with her. I can honestly say I don't understand all the statements about how terrible it is for this cupholder to be left open. Guess what, the one on the driver's side is routinely left open as well because there is also a driver frequently in the car, sometimes with a drink ... at least while it is in motion.
Well if you routinely drive with two people in the car yes the cupholder will always be open if you're the kind to travel with drinks. I was in a situation the other day where I had a passenger and we needed a third cupholder so we used the rear armrest. Strangely the front doors don't have accommodation for cups.. but other Lexus models do.

But still having the USB port there in the cupholder is asking to take a bath in a liquids some day. i already came close one time.
Old 04-14-21, 09:24 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

But still having the USB port there in the cupholder is asking to take a bath in a liquids some day. i already came close one time.
That is an EXCELLENT point. I didn't even think along those lines, but there are many comments in the RX subforum about people spilling liquids in their cupholders (which are not leak proof) and causing expensive damage to the electronics that are located within the console.

1Priest (06-27-21)
Old 04-14-21, 09:35 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts

Since February of last year, I place a hand sanitizer bottle in the cupholder for easy access and it hasn't been closed since then.
Mattinnv (05-16-21)
Old 05-16-21, 03:21 PM
Mattinnv
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Nevermind went out to my car and checked. It has a different USB port than you guys. the hinge on my '21 is on top. door does not appear to be removable. i'll try later with some tools but seems i'll have to disassemble the whole tray to remove the door.
Any luck on removing your 21 cover?
1Priest (06-27-21)
Old 06-27-21, 12:35 PM
1Priest
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Has anyone figured out how to remove the rear hinged USB port cover on the 2021 ES 350 model?
First Lexus I've ever owned and I'm absolutely in love with it! 😊
Old 06-27-21, 12:39 PM
1Priest
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey E46CT 😀 Did you ever manage to remove the USB port cover and if so how did you go about doing so? Appreciate your time and assistance my friend. 🙏
Old 03-15-22, 04:15 AM
Kyn104
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same

I have same problem, if you find the way to remove the lid without brake it please let me know how to do it
Old 03-15-22, 05:10 AM
mattsrs
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyn104
I have same problem, if you find the way to remove the lid without brake it please let me know how to do it
I explained it in my post here in the other thread. There's no clean way of doing it that is reversible. I took it to my dealership and took the technician 5 mins to remove the whole USB module and remove the lid and put the module back in place. But to remove the lid, only way was to break it off. Result look clean now! I'm not worried about breaking it off. That whole USB module is not that expensive to replace if it came to that but I'm supper happy now!
Old 03-15-22, 02:03 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 529 Likes on 366 Posts

Also, if that said drink happens to splash into the trackpad causing it to stick or get "crunchy" when using, the service dept. might charge for "cleaning" it. I actually had this happen but it wasn't due to a drink and they did fix it under warranty when they were already working on the squeaky console. This was on my 19' Lux. In the past I've used a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol to help loosen it up by going around the perimeter of the trackpad or buttons. That solution worked for me. I'm not specifying that it should be done. Only that I tried it and it worked. YMMV
Old 03-15-22, 02:15 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 520 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by mattsrs
I explained it in my post here in the other thread. There's no clean way of doing it that is reversible. I took it to my dealership and took the technician 5 mins to remove the whole USB module and remove the lid and put the module back in place. But to remove the lid, only way was to break it off. Result look clean now! I'm not worried about breaking it off. That whole USB module is not that expensive to replace if it came to that but I'm supper happy now!
If he was just going to break the lid off why bother disassembling the console? Just break it off yourself.
Old 03-15-22, 05:48 PM
mattsrs
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by LS500Fan
If he was just going to break the lid off why bother disassembling the console? Just break it off yourself.
There was no disassembly of anything involved. That USB port section pops off with a little pry tool. The plan wasn't to break it but he said there's no other way to remove it and I'm fine with it. I think if I cut it or broke it myself, it would have left some small pieces near the hinge that may not have looked as clean as now.
Old 03-25-22, 09:25 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mattsrs
can you explain or show how he took off the entire module.. this is what im trying to do.. i want to remove the module without breaking it.. i actually would like to know the release points to access/remove the center console. I would like to relocated the ports or add dual ports via a splitter.

Quick Reply: Hiding your USB drive and cables