ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Shhhh I shut off Eco!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-19, 06:44 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
I guess that your car is set differently. The ES 350 (at least mine) stays on ECO all the time. I've actually never even touched it. Been on ECO since I picked up the car last December...
I intend to check out the other drive modes though... Fuel usage isn't an issue due to the amount of driving I do... 2314 miles and will be a year December 5th....LOL
I thought they all defaulted to NORMAL at startup. I know NONE stay in SPORT after a shut down but perhaps ECO is different since it wouldn't adversely impact the CAFE standards.
Old 11-07-19, 08:28 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
So once you set to ECO, it stays there at every engine start?? Unlike SPORT?
The vehicle will remain in ECO & Normal if left in that setting. If left in Sport it will change to Normal on startup. Most likely it was set up this way to conserve on fuel since Sport mode holds the gears very aggressively.
The following 2 users liked this post by kalel2127:
bc6152 (11-08-19), mikemu30 (11-07-19)
Old 11-07-19, 08:30 AM
AllinCLE
Driver

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
Same for me and I have the Vette for zipping around town... Man, those new Camaros are really nice...

I cover a lot of miles, the vast majority on the highway and I'm almost always in Eco mode as well. Averaging just a tick under 29 MPG over the first 7,045 miles.

Yes the initial toe-in of the throttle is muted, but I don't find it lacking in response after that. Just give it more throttle. It's easier to drive smoothly in Eco, ok lazily, from stoplight to stoplight and in rush hour traffic. And if I want more power, I just push the pedal more, it's still there. I'd go so far as to say outside of that initial response, I notice almost no difference between Eco and Normal modes.

While Sport mode is more responsive, I find it doesn't suit the character of the car (mine is an ultra luxury trim). Yes the 2019+ ES is a more competent platform than previous generations but it never begs to be hustled or entices you to pick up the pace. It's willing, not eager.

Last edited by AllinCLE; 11-07-19 at 08:54 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by AllinCLE:
bc6152 (11-08-19), kalel2127 (11-07-19), TechNut (11-07-19)
Old 11-07-19, 07:01 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by aldwatson
Way better throttle response!
I can tell a huge difference in throttle response between Eco and Normal but going from Normal to Sport doesn't seem to do much. I have the hybrid so I don't know if that matters. But it does really kill MPG.
Old 11-07-19, 07:08 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Why would anyone use ECO - EVER.
Better gas mileage.

I thought they all defaulted to NORMAL at startup. I know NONE stay in SPORT after a shut down but perhaps ECO is different since it wouldn't adversely impact the CAFE standards.
It does stay in Eco on restart. I didn't even know that it didn't stay in Sport until I tried it just now. I usually leave it in Eco.
Old 11-07-19, 09:16 PM
SAJ1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In all three modes, if going at a consistent speed it shows “eco” in green. However, yes my favorite is the normal mode which is standard when you turn on the engine. The steering and feel is smooth while acceleration is very close to the sports mode
Old 11-08-19, 05:05 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SAJ1
In all three modes, if going at a consistent speed it shows “eco” in green. However, yes my favorite is the normal mode which is standard when you turn on the engine. The steering and feel is smooth while acceleration is very close to the sports mode
I'm in SPORT all the time and I never see any "eco" showing anywhere.
Old 11-08-19, 05:25 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

I'm in SPORT all the time and I never see any "eco" showing anywhere.
There are two different ECO indicators that can be displayed. One of them is the indication of the drive mode that you have chosen to use, i.e. Eco, Normal, Sport, and your chosen drive mode is constantly displayed. The other indicator only comes on if you are, in fact, driving the car in a fuel efficient manner, and, if you are not doing so it does not come on. That ECO indicator can, I believe, be disabled with one of the settings in the Multi-Information display.

Originally Posted by kalel2127
The vehicle will remain in ECO & Normal if left in that setting. If left in Sport it will change to Normal on startup. Most likely it was set up this way to conserve on fuel since Sport mode holds the gears very aggressively.
Federal fuel efficiency regulations require vehicles to default, at start up, to driving modes that are no less fuel efficient than what was used for EPA testing. Thus, if the ES was tested in the Normal mode, it needs to default at startup to either that Normal Mode or the more fuel efficient ECO mode. Since the Sport Mode is less fuel efficient than the Normal mode that was used in EPA testing, it would not be okay for the car to default to Sport mode at startup.
The following 2 users liked this post by lesz:
bc6152 (11-08-19), kalel2127 (11-08-19)
Old 11-08-19, 06:39 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

Think of the second ECO light that lesz mentioned as "Passive Eco". Unlike Drive Mode "Active Eco" that
changes the car, Passive Eco is only trying to change You, the driver. Rewards you will a nice glowing light
when you drive Economically or Ecologically. Been a feature of Lexus cars (and I'm sure others) for years.

The EPA fuel economy standard test allowed for the use of such passive lights to effect the rating.
When the car was being certified and the light was enabled, the driver could "obey" the guidance and keep
the light on as much as possible. Result? Favorable EPA window sticker ratings. Reality? Most of
us didn't drive that way and used A/C which the pre 2008 rules allowed to be off.
The following 2 users liked this post by mcomer:
bc6152 (11-08-19), kalel2127 (11-08-19)
Old 11-08-19, 08:57 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mcomer
Think of the second ECO light that lesz mentioned as "Passive Eco". Unlike Drive Mode "Active Eco" that
changes the car, Passive Eco is only trying to change You, the driver. Rewards you will a nice glowing light
when you drive Economically or Ecologically. Been a feature of Lexus cars (and I'm sure others) for years.

The EPA fuel economy standard test allowed for the use of such passive lights to effect the rating.
When the car was being certified and the light was enabled, the driver could "obey" the guidance and keep
the light on as much as possible. Result? Favorable EPA window sticker ratings. Reality? Most of
us didn't drive that way and used A/C which the pre 2008 rules allowed to be off.
Have never seen it on either of our cars and I truly don't drive with a heavy foot and my wife certainly doesn't.
Old 11-08-19, 09:18 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 103 Posts

Have never seen it on either of our cars and I truly don't drive with a heavy foot and my wife certainly doesn't.
Come on now, admit it, you drive it like it's stolen... LOL
Old 11-08-19, 10:12 AM
Barryabko
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

My ES 350 is my second car so I don't drive that much. When I do, I like the extra response the Sport mode provides. The Normal is still very good for most driving and I put it into "Economy" when I'm on the freeway.
Old 11-08-19, 10:34 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kalel2127
Come on now, admit it, you drive it like it's stolen... LOL
Shhhh - don't tell anyone else
Old 11-08-19, 07:06 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

I believe the eco indicator is an option in the setup menu. You may have it turned off?
Old 11-08-19, 07:27 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Barryabko
My ES 350 is my second car so I don't drive that much. When I do, I like the extra response the Sport mode provides. The Normal is still very good for most driving and I put it into "Economy" when I'm on the freeway.
Probably doesn't matter much once you're cruising at highway speeds.

Quick Reply: Shhhh I shut off Eco!!