ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Snow Tires on and ready for Winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-19, 07:06 PM
AllinCLE
Driver

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Snow Tires on and ready for Winter

With the first snowstorm of the season ready to hit tonight, I had to hurry to put my winter tires. It looks so strange seeing my car on 17" wheels/tires...and yes, I know those are Infiniti center caps

Being able to re-use the 17" wheels and Michelin X-Ice Xi3 from my last (two) car(s) feels like hitting lottery! After 30,183 miles, this will be the fifth and final season for these tires, which is WAY longer than I've ever got out of any winter tires previously. Besides their longevity, they're also easily the quietest winter tire I've had. Winter road conditions change rapidly here in NE Ohio and most of the winter is spent on cold, dry, salted roads where the Xi3 is downright pleasant to drive on. Unfortunately, they can't match the snow and ice performance of other, newer designs out there. I had Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 prior to these, and the Blizzaks just give so much more confidence than the Xi3. I'm probably going back to Blizzak next year, or maybe Nokian?

Any other winter tire users on here?
Old 11-12-19, 07:26 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

I had Blizzaks on my last sedan - they are terrific. I'm leaving the OEM Michelins on my ES though - no winter tires for this car. If it gets bad out there and I have to drive, I'll grab my wife's RX which is AWD.
Old 11-12-19, 07:39 AM
clqw
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I also got the Xi3, and they are quieter than the stock "all-season" Bridgestones that came with the car. Not only are the Bridgestones noisy, but they are TERRIBLE on even a tiny bit of snow, not all-season at all, and definitely a shame Lexus decided to pair them with the ES.
Old 11-12-19, 08:20 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by clqw
I also got the Xi3, and they are quieter than the stock "all-season" Bridgestones that came with the car. Not only are the Bridgestones noisy, but they are TERRIBLE on even a tiny bit of snow, not all-season at all, and definitely a shame Lexus decided to pair them with the ES.
The ALL season Bridgestones are to be avoided at ALL cost. Widespread complaints about them - same story on the RX forum where some RXs come equipped with Ecopias. The first thing I checked when I looked at my ES on the lot was the tires.
Old 11-12-19, 09:09 AM
AllinCLE
Driver

Originally Posted by mikemu30
The ALL season Bridgestones are to be avoided at ALL cost. Widespread complaints about them - same story on the RX forum where some RXs come equipped with Ecopias. The first thing I checked when I looked at my ES on the lot was the tires.
That's a little dramatic, no? It's important to note the model of the tire...for instance, I can guarantee that the "Bridgestone" tires on the RX are not the same as the. Despite other's complaints, I'm extremely pleased with the Bridgestone EL440 tires that came on my ES, loved every set of Blizzak's I've ever had, and absolutely HATED a set Ecopia tires we had on a Mazda 6 years ago. It's silly to idolize or condemn a brand that makes dozens of models, and mass produces hundreds of thousands of examples of each.

Getting back on topic though: Barely got a dusting of snow, what a let down! A bit of ice underneath though because of all the rain/sleet before the snow started. Driving the ES with these tires was easy and drama free
Old 11-12-19, 01:32 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 176 Posts

Yes. Always used X-Ice on separate set of rims. Smooth, quiet, and great traction. All of my winter driving is in Alberta or through the Rocky Mountains to the West Coast. Now running a brand new set of X-Ice Xi3 also.
Old 11-12-19, 03:14 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

No drama. I guess you missed the part where I said I loved the Blizzaks. Just going by owner feedback where the Ecopias on the RX and the all seasons on the ES do not rate well at all.
Old 11-12-19, 09:38 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by AllinCLE
That's a little dramatic, no? It's important to note the model of the tire...for instance, I can guarantee that the "Bridgestone" tires on the RX are not the same as the. Despite other's complaints, I'm extremely pleased with the Bridgestone EL440 tires that came on my ES, loved every set of Blizzak's I've ever had, and absolutely HATED a set Ecopia tires we had on a Mazda 6 years ago. It's silly to idolize or condemn a brand that makes dozens of models, and mass produces hundreds of thousands of examples of each.

Getting back on topic though: Barely got a dusting of snow, what a let down! A bit of ice underneath though because of all the rain/sleet before the snow started. Driving the ES with these tires was easy and drama free
I agree. We had Bridgestones on our last ES and they seemed fine. The only issue we had is that they wanted to wander a bit on striated concrete roads, but we don’t have many of those around here. Our 2019 ESh also has the Bridgestones and I don’t have any complaints, although we haven’t had any bad weather yet. I don’t see enough of an issue with them that it would be worth replacing them before they are worn out.

Our RX and NX both have/had Michelin tires. I also can’t say I see any obvious difference in traction but since these are both all wheel drive it wouldn’t be a fair comparison anyway. My sense is the Bridgestone tires are fine for my needs, despite feedback from a few of the members. Fortunately, we only see a few snowstorms each winter here and the snow rarely sticks for more than a few days. Perhaps I would have a different perspective if our winters were harsher or I tended to drive in a more spirited manner?
Old 09-21-21, 12:44 PM
dolphooner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any thoughts or experience on putting snows on just the front (drive) wheels?

rd
Old 09-21-21, 01:15 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphooner

rd
I don't use snow tires here in Pennsylvania but if I did that is what I'd do... Fronts only...
Old 09-21-21, 02:10 PM
AllinCLE
Driver

Originally Posted by bc6152
I don't use snow tires here in Pennsylvania but if I did that is what I'd do... Fronts only...
Originally Posted by dolphooner

rd
That would be a very bad idea, counter productive to the reason you'd be pursuing winter tires in the first place. Yes you'd be increasing traction on the drive wheels, but you're creating a mismatch in traction between the front and rear wheels. The rear will slide out, causing the car to oversteer in snow/icy conditions....something you don't want and definitely when you don't want it to be happening. As a set, winter tires can offer you a great deal of confidence and control not only to accelerate but when braking and steering as well.

So long story short, you need four; don't bother with two. If you need to save money, look for a less expensive set. On snow and ice, any winter tire will out perform an all season tire.
Old 09-21-21, 02:22 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

That would be a very bad idea, counter productive to the reason you'd be pursuing winter tires in the first place. Yes you'd be increasing traction on the drive wheels, but you're creating a mismatch in traction between the front and rear wheels. The rear will slide out, causing the car to oversteer in snow/icy conditions....something you don't want and definitely when you don't want it to be happening. As a set, winter tires can offer you a great deal of confidence and control not only to accelerate but when braking and steering as well.

So long story short, you need four; don't bother with two. If you need to save money, look for a less expensive set. On snow and ice, any winter tire will out perform an all season tire.
I had Blizzaks on my last car - yes all four wheels. Just living with all season shoes on my ES these days and putting on new ones in a few weeks just in time for winter.
Old 09-21-21, 02:57 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

I'd still just buy two tires - if I used them at all - no studs allowed so rear all season would do...
Old 09-21-21, 05:36 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bc6152
I'd still just buy two tires - if I used them at all - no studs allowed so rear all season would do...
Your winters are likely similar to ours here in northern NJ. Generally not terrible and all season shoes are just fine unless there's a blizzard in which case I ain't going anywhere😉
The following users liked this post:
bc6152 (09-21-21)
Old 09-21-21, 11:10 PM
LexNL
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

My ES 300h was delivered in january this year with Yokohama BluEarth-Winter V905 tires. I really love them, always had a safe feeling in rain and snow. But also very important to me, they are really very quiet and therefore suit the ES very well. When I switched to the original summer tires (Dunlop SP Sport Maxx 050) on the same 18" rims, I immediately noticed more road noise, specially at highway speeds. It was such a difference that I complained about the Dunlops, and I really could not understand why Lexus delivers the smooth and quiet ES with these noisy summer tires. So, based on my own experience, I would recommend the Yokohama's to any ES owner.

Last edited by LexNL; 09-22-21 at 03:59 AM.