ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Knee airbag covers different color from dash?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-19, 12:48 PM
actionzhe
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Knee airbag covers different color from dash?

Hey all, I got myself a 2020 ESH UL just a few days ago. When I was picking something up from the floor today I noticed the knee airbag plastic covers are a different color from the rest of the dashboard?

I got the Chateau with Dark Mocha wood interior color combination, and the dashboard plastic got a slight brown feel to it, but the air bag cover is just plain black plastic. I picked up the car with 5 miles on the ODO and it's the same color on both the driver and passenger side, so I have no doubts they are original pieces. I'm just surprised they allowed such a large color mismatch on the interior of the car.

Just curious, is everyone's knee airbag cover a different color from the dash as well? Mine is a hybrid but it's built in Kentucky if that makes any difference.

Old 12-01-19, 06:37 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Wow. Ours is the same. I also have Chateau interior and I’m pretty OCD, but I had not noticed this. I had to take a very bright light and get down in the footwell to see this color difference. It is indeed slightly different, and perhaps even a slightly different texture but you really have to be trying to see it, despite how well the photo you posted seems to show the difference. The bottom line for me, if you hadn’t pointed it out I’m not sure I would have noticed it. For comparison purposes, ours is also a hybrid but it was built in Japan.
Old 12-02-19, 08:04 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

Your post got me to thinking... I thought my airbag cover was the same color as the rest of the dash so went out (in the snow) to check and take a photo.

Well it is indeed the same color as all of the other part of the chocolate brown dash... And IMO I think yours should be the same too... Maybe they ran out and substituted...

Old 12-02-19, 08:27 AM
actionzhe
Driver

Originally Posted by TechNut
Wow. Ours is the same. I also have Chateau interior and I’m pretty OCD, but I had not noticed this. I had to take a very bright light and get down in the footwell to see this color difference. It is indeed slightly different, and perhaps even a slightly different texture but you really have to be trying to see it, despite how well the photo you posted seems to show the difference. The bottom line for me, if you hadn’t pointed it out I’m not sure I would have noticed it. For comparison purposes, ours is also a hybrid but it was built in Japan.
Haha, I'm pretty OCD too, and this took me 3 days to notice with the new car hype where im checking out everything. So I guess it wasn't THAT obvious for sure. And my pic was taken in the afternoon sun.

Originally Posted by bc6152
Your post got me to thinking... I thought my airbag cover was the same color as the rest of the dash so went out (in the snow) to check and take a photo.

Well it is indeed the same color as all of the other part of the chocolate brown dash... And IMO I think yours should be the same too... Maybe they ran out and substituted...
How interesting! Just when I thought the mismatch was normal. When was the build date for yours, and is it a hybrid or regular 350? Is your interior color the same?

Old 12-02-19, 08:35 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

I have an UL ES 350 and the interior is ALL brown with Flaxen seat upholstery... My car was built in Kentucky in November of 2018...
Old 12-03-19, 02:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

That should absolutely be the same color as the rest of the dash...
Old 12-03-19, 03:00 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW17LS
That should absolutely be the same color as the rest of the dash...
It really makes no sense to me that a different color panel would be placed alongside the others...
Old 12-03-19, 03:09 PM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts

Out of sight out of mind!
Old 12-03-19, 03:15 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kalel2127
Out of sight out of mind!
Maybe for you, but I would want the interior of my $54,000.00 car to match...
The following users liked this post:
User 41924 (12-04-19)
Old 12-03-19, 03:50 PM
kalel2127
Advanced

Maybe for you, but I would want the interior of my $54,000.00 car to match...
Why? You can probably count on one hand the number of people that will see that in the lifespan of the vehicle. It's such an obscure location I don't find any need to do anything about it.
Old 12-03-19, 04:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would absolutely take it in and request they replace those airbags so they match.
Old 12-03-19, 06:43 PM
Hifiman1
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Made in Kentucky ES?
Old 12-03-19, 07:55 PM
actionzhe
Driver

I have an UL ES 350 and the interior is ALL brown with Flaxen seat upholstery... My car was built in Kentucky in November of 2018...
Man, it's been really hard to find good photos of pictures taken at that angle from other ES.

From what I can make out, it seems your brown Flaxen interior got brown plastic to both left and right of the steering wheel, so they gave you a brown cover. For the black interior, I believe the entire dash plastic is just black (same black as the cover), but please chime in if I'm wrong for any black interior owners out there.

But I realized for the Chateau, the plastic is actually a slightly brown-ish/red-ish black to the left of the steering wheel, and more of a normal black to the right of the steering wheel (around the parking brake), and the steering column is black plastic too. So it looks to me the cover is trying to match the steering column color...

So I can see how if it matched the brown-ish/red-ish black to the left of it, it would end up with a mismatch on the right side near the parking brake. I have no idea why the dashboard is consisted of two colors...this will continue to grind my gears, unless they had a batch of dashboard assembled wrong at the factory...? The slight color difference with the black to the right side is the type of color mismatch I would consider normal and expected between two pieces of plastic not made together, and it's amplified under flash light.

This picture I took tonight is quite telling that mine is a dashboard with two colors....If there are any other Chateau interior owners out there, please let me know if yours dash looks like this as well...

Old 12-03-19, 08:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting...that makes more sense...
Old 12-04-19, 08:11 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

I checked mine this morning and it's also off colored. It's not very noticeable since it's black but you can definitely tell it's a different shade. I would assume they used a different material to ensure no bodily injury since that is where the airbag deploys, hence it's a different shade.

Quick Reply: Knee airbag covers different color from dash?