ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

350 F Sport Question (Sports+)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-19, 11:20 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by kalel2127
It wasn't included in the vehicle I wanted. When I decided to purchase a Lexus my must-haves were exterior & interior color, triple beam headlights, and F-Sport. Everything else I could do without. I even had plans to upgrade the entire sound system but the ML system was outstanding so I only added subwoofers. My local dealership was only able to find 1 vehicle matching what I wanted within a 100-mile radius. I decided to pull the trigger since I'm not a very patient man.
Don't see many of the ultrasonic blue but I love that color as well.
Old 12-23-19, 01:04 PM
burnik
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

It wasn't included in the vehicle I wanted. When I decided to purchase a Lexus my must-haves were exterior & interior color, triple beam headlights, and F-Sport. Everything else I could do without. I even had plans to upgrade the entire sound system but the ML system was outstanding so I only added subwoofers. My local dealership was only able to find 1 vehicle matching what I wanted within a 100-mile radius. I decided to pull the trigger since I'm not a very patient man.
Mind sharing the subwoofer setup you added? I’m planning on doing the same. Pics should be great. Thanks.
Old 12-23-19, 01:31 PM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by LeeSoFL
You've said this many times across several threads, and I wonder what presumptive facts lead you to this opinion?

As a kid, I remember a neighbor saying "(car) air conditioning is just one more thing to break down."
Just anecdotal here, but I've replaced the front struts twice in 50K miles to the tune of about $2K. So reliability is an issue on my car. I would have opted to not have the AVS.

Last edited by ShrinkDoc; 12-23-19 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-23-19, 02:15 PM
burnik
Rookie

Originally Posted by ShrinkDoc
Just anecdotal here, but I've replaced the front struts twice in 50K miles to the tune of about $2K. So reliability is an issue on my car. I would have opted to not have the AVS.
You already put in 50k on the car? Mind me asking you what went wrong with it? Is it just wear and tear or something actually happened to it? Sorry to hear about the cost of you having to now fix it twice.
Old 12-23-19, 02:28 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

That was precisely my concern and the benefits of avs were just not worth it FOR ME. Adding electronics to a suspension part🤔🤔🤔 no thanks.
Old 12-23-19, 02:50 PM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by burnik
Mind sharing the subwoofer setup you added? I’m planning on doing the same. Pics should be great. Thanks.
See below: 1. Rockford Fosgate Punch P1000X1bd mono amplifier that pumps out a whopping 1,000 Watts RMS into a 1-Ohm load.
2. The P3-2X12 is a dual P3 12” vented enclosure with 1200 Watts RMS power handling wired to a 1-Ohm load
3. AudioControl DQ-61 DSP (digital signal processor)
4. Applied sound deadening material in the trunk and front doors
5. Rockford Fosgate P3G-12 Grille

Old 12-23-19, 02:53 PM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Originally Posted by mikemu30
That was precisely my concern and the benefits of avs were just not worth it FOR ME. Adding electronics to a suspension part🤔🤔🤔 no thanks.
You already put in 50k on the car? Mind me asking you what went wrong with it? Is it just wear and tear or something actually happened to it? Sorry to hear about the cost of you having to now fix it twice.
I answered the question w/o looking at the forum (my apologies for the confusion)-- thot it was the IS forum. I have a 2014 IS350 F Sport. The mechanic indicated that they rarely worked on the struts on our cars, but they do work a lot on the electronics across all brands.

Old 12-23-19, 03:49 PM
burnik
Rookie

I answered the question w/o looking at the forum (my apologies for the confusion)-- thot it was the IS forum. I have a 2014 IS350 F Sport. The mechanic indicated that they rarely worked on the struts on our cars, but they do work a lot on the electronics across all brands.
So the struts are not the main problem but the electronics behind it. Gottcha. Thanks for the info. Glad you stumbled upon this and gave your thoughts on it. Thanks.
Old 12-23-19, 04:06 PM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

So the struts are not the main problem but the electronics behind it. Gottcha. Thanks for the info. Glad you stumbled upon this and gave your thoughts on it. Thanks.
Seems I'm not clear. the struts went bad, period. There is no electronic system within the struts, the oil pressure is externally controlled by an electronic mechanism. Hope this clarifies it.
Old 12-23-19, 05:48 PM
burnik
Rookie

Seems I'm not clear. the struts went bad, period. There is no electronic system within the struts, the oil pressure is externally controlled by an electronic mechanism. Hope this clarifies it.
Got it thanks.
Old 12-23-19, 05:51 PM
burnik
Rookie

See below: 1. Rockford Fosgate Punch P1000X1bd mono amplifier that pumps out a whopping 1,000 Watts RMS into a 1-Ohm load.
2. The P3-2X12 is a dual P3 12” vented enclosure with 1200 Watts RMS power handling wired to a 1-Ohm load
3. AudioControl DQ-61 DSP (digital signal processor)
4. Applied sound deadening material in the trunk and front doors
5. Rockford Fosgate P3G-12 Grille

Nice setup
Old 12-23-19, 06:00 PM
gregwils
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adaptive shocks are able to change the dampening by altering the size of the internal valve orifice or by altering the viscosity of the fluid itself. These systems have been around for nearly two decades. There is no real difference between reliability of one versus the other. There are always instances where someone's life expectancy of a part is disappointing - adaptive and non-adaptive. There is no greater effort (labor) to replace these struts, it's just the cost differential between the units. I would describe the difference between the two as minimal when recognizing these are $50,000 cars. If the idea of AVS is appealing, then get it. It's reasonably priced at $750.

The most compelling reason not to buy it is that a number of automotive writers and bloggers have indicated that the difference between Normal and Sport is negligible, so if you don't see yourself running around in Sport+ very often then you probably won't get much value from AVS.
Old 12-23-19, 09:01 PM
burnik
Rookie

Originally Posted by gregwils
The most compelling reason not to buy it is that a number of automotive writers and bloggers have indicated that the difference between Normal and Sport is negligible, so if you don't see yourself running around in Sport+ very often then you probably won't get much value from AVS.
Isn’t this the more reason why to get it? If normal and sport is almost negligible and they feel the same, then you don’t need the sport option. You would want to feel the difference when you do switch it over to a sport option which the sports plus will provide.
Old 12-24-19, 05:43 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Isn’t this the more reason why to get it? If normal and sport is almost negligible and they feel the same, then you don’t need the sport option. You would want to feel the difference when you do switch it over to a sport option which the sports plus will provide.
Anyone that doesn't notice a difference in throttle response from Regular to Sport is unconscious.
The following users liked this post:
Sooners71 (12-24-19)
Old 12-24-19, 08:01 AM
gregwils
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Anyone that doesn't notice a difference in throttle response from Regular to Sport is unconscious.
Sorry, I wasn't specific. The references were specifically referring to the AVS, not the throttle response. As you suggest, they pointed out a noticeable difference in throttle response.
The following users liked this post:
mikemu30 (12-24-19)

Quick Reply: 350 F Sport Question (Sports+)