ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Location for Eztag/Txtag/Tolltag/Pikepass

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-19, 12:35 PM
actionzhe
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Location for Eztag/Txtag/Tolltag/Pikepass

My work garage uses the Transcore reader just like all the toll roads around here in Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas area, it basically reads the toll tag and opens the gate without us having to swipe badge to go in and out.

The new Eztag I got is having a hard time getting picked up through the windshield of the ES...I even tried a Txtag (but didn't activate it) and it's also not getting picked up. I know our garage equipment works, and it worked flawlessly on my previous car. It appears even the toll lanes are not reading the tags, and are instead falling back to reading my plate to charge me.

The "right behind the mirror, 4 inches from top of the windshield" instruction doesn't work, because we have the black plastic box containing the cameras behind the mirror, so I had to go to the next closest spot, which is just under the humidity sensor. At that location, it's definitely more than 4 inches away from the top of the windshield, but perhaps too far down...

I also tried mounting it just to the right of the humidity sensor inside the tint line, about 2 inches away from the top, after seeing this post, and that didn't work either...but would be nice if that worked, because it will hide the tag from outside.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...g-options.html

Is there something special about the Lexus windshield that is not playing nicely with these RFID toll tags? Where have you guys placed yours?
Old 12-07-19, 01:10 PM
wszimmer
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My TX Toll Tag is up tight uner the mirror and I can't really see it from the drivers seat but it gets picked up fine.
Old 12-07-19, 03:01 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Ezpass reads with no problem on both of our Lexuses. Standard location under the mirror.
Old 12-07-19, 03:10 PM
actionzhe
Driver

Originally Posted by wszimmer
My TX Toll Tag is up tight uner the mirror and I can't really see it from the drivers seat but it gets picked up fine.
Ah..So smack in the middle of the windshield then?
That's the spot I'm leaving for my dashcam..But let me try mount the pass around the same height to the right of the mirror. Maybe it was too close to the sensors to get picked up..
Old 12-07-19, 03:29 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,293 Likes on 901 Posts

Also, there are batteries inside these transponders that eventually die. Consider the age of the transponder and if this may be the case. There is no outward sign when these things go south. Got caught myself on the New Jersey Turnpike breezing thru the toll plazas and then getting fined exorbitant amounts... I have a 2019 ES 350 and have had no issues with my (new) Pennsylvania EZ pass in the center of the windscreen....
Old 12-07-19, 03:51 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bc6152
Also, there are batteries inside these transponders that eventually die. Consider the age of the transponder and if this may be the case. There is no outward sign when these things go south. Got caught myself on the New Jersey Turnpike breezing thru the toll plazas and then getting fined exorbitant amounts... I have a 2019 ES 350 and have had no issues with my (new) Pennsylvania EZ pass in the center of the windscreen....
You should have seen error messages if the pass was not reading. Ezpass not paid, etc.
Old 12-07-19, 04:00 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,293 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
You should have seen error messages if the pass was not reading. Ezpass not paid, etc.
Not when you go thru the high speed lanes with no signs or indicator lights...
Old 12-07-19, 04:05 PM
actionzhe
Driver

The one we have down here is just a sticker with a tiny chip inside, it's purely passive transmitted, energized by the reader over head. So there's no battery to replace, but it's a lot more picky about it's mount location. On our transaction history we can see whether the gate we passed successfully read the tag, or charged us based on license plate instead.
Old 12-08-19, 04:10 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Ditto

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Ezpass reads with no problem on both of our Lexuses. Standard location under the mirror.
Never had any issue w EZ-Pass from Virginia to Maine.
Old 12-08-19, 09:25 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Got it and yes we love those high speed lanes😁
Old 01-09-20, 12:25 AM
TXDriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have an ES, but I do use a TxTag here in Houston. I put mine in the sunroof. It reads just fine and is visibly out of the way. I have the inside of my windshield slightly tinted which would prohibit the TxTag from working inside the windshield. It is also not an issue if I ever need my windshield replaced. Try the sunroof. Mine is more towards the back side of the sunroof more than 4 inches from the frame, but I think it would work just as well towards the front edge. You might want to keep it back from the frame a bit (~ 4 inches?). This will be my TxTag location for all future cars for me.

I think these toll companies instruct users to put the tag on the windshield because all cars have windshields, but not all cars have sunroofs. But if you have a sunroof, and the tag fits under the sunshade (the TxTag is super thin) I think it is a superior location to the windshield.

Last edited by TXDriver; 01-09-20 at 12:30 AM.
Old 01-10-20, 09:32 AM
actionzhe
Driver

Originally Posted by TXDriver
I don't have an ES, but I do use a TxTag here in Houston. I put mine in the sunroof. It reads just fine and is visibly out of the way. I have the inside of my windshield slightly tinted which would prohibit the TxTag from working inside the windshield. It is also not an issue if I ever need my windshield replaced. Try the sunroof. Mine is more towards the back side of the sunroof more than 4 inches from the frame, but I think it would work just as well towards the front edge. You might want to keep it back from the frame a bit (~ 4 inches?). This will be my TxTag location for all future cars for me.

I think these toll companies instruct users to put the tag on the windshield because all cars have windshields, but not all cars have sunroofs. But if you have a sunroof, and the tag fits under the sunshade (the TxTag is super thin) I think it is a superior location to the windshield.
Sorry I should've provided an update to this, but I ended up going against the directions on the tag that says you have to be 4" down from the top of the windshield. The top of our windshield inside and outside have a fairly large distance gap because of the black band of adhesive. So I ended up putting at right at the top of the windshield on the inside, within the factory tint strip next to the rain sensor, which is about 3.5" down from the metal roof of the car from the outside. This worked flawlessly, and now the tag is invisible from the outside as well, which is an added bonus.
The instructions are probably meant for cars where there are no such large adhesive bands, following the instruction will end up mount the tag way too low, which is why it wasn't getting picked up.
The sunroof doesn't work for me because for our garage entry the reader is in the front at a 45 degree angle, so it absolutely must be windshield mounted. For toll scanner it doesn't matter since the entire car have to pass under it anyway.
The following users liked this post:
DeeDeeRX (01-30-23)
Old 01-30-23, 02:50 AM
DeeDeeRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi,I have to order and install a second transport that has the rain sensor and the camera. Do you mind taking a photo please and posting? Thanks!