ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Dongle Providing ANDROID AUTO on ES 350 With Apple CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-19, 09:33 PM
2019ES350
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Did BMW define "compatible" in this case? Anyway, sounds promising. Thanks!
Old 12-15-19, 06:30 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by clqw
BMW just announced they'll be updating all compatible headunits to work with apple/android wired and wireless... when is lexus gonna do the same
Don't hold your breath... Lexus is always last in line to update new technological features...
Old 12-15-19, 06:38 AM
clqw
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 2019ES350
Did BMW define "compatible" in this case? Anyway, sounds promising. Thanks!
iDrive running 7.0
Old 12-15-19, 10:50 PM
burnik
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

This looks promising.
https://m.alibaba.com/product/622117...B#shopping-ads
Old 12-16-19, 01:13 AM
2019ES350
Rookie

Burnik: Is this the dongle you say looks promising?

Amazon Amazon

I can't get your link to display a readable web page.
Old 12-16-19, 01:53 AM
2019ES350
Rookie

I wrote the company asking if that dongle would work to provide Android Auto on a 2019 ES 350 that has Apple CarPlay built in.

They responded "no" but I should use this product: https://www.amazon.com/Carlinkit-carplay-Wireless-activator-Steering/dp/B07T8NQJX1/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=r.f2laAWKzfqd-z9QTG93w&hsa_cr_id=9257737680201&th=1

From what I read this will make Apple CarPlay work wirelessly and will also provide Android Auto. I want to do some research before thinking of sending $150 to Amazon. If anyone has any experience with this product, please post information for us.
Old 12-16-19, 05:22 AM
burnik
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2019ES350
Burnik: Is this the dongle you say looks promising?

https://www.amazon.com/Carlinkit-Don.../dp/B07HCKWDJ1

I can't get your link to display a readable web page.
try using you phone to view it coz I have no problem viewing it. But no that’s not it. Try this link hopefully it works

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.aliba...211785486.html

Old 01-03-20, 08:48 AM
rezafmk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked Lexus about providing the Android Auto software update on 2019 ES350. They got back to me with the following:

"As you are aware, Android Auto has become available starting with select 2020 model year Lexus vehicles. However, there are no plans to provide an update to make Android Auto available to your 2019 Lexus ES 350 or other in market vehicles.

Please be assured that market trends are closely studied to give us a better idea of what packages and options are in demand. Then based on our findings, our Product Planning Department is able to choose those vehicles and options that best suit the needs of the buying public and which options are available on which packages.

We have noted your comments regarding Android Auto and have forwarded them to the appropriate departments within Lexus Canada for information purposes."

I think it would be helpful if others here do the same thing - ask Lexus for AA software support, it will probably push them to offer the update faster.
Old 01-03-20, 12:09 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by rezafmk
I asked Lexus about providing the Android Auto software update on 2019 ES350. They got back to me with the following:

"As you are aware, Android Auto has become available starting with select 2020 model year Lexus vehicles. However, there are no plans to provide an update to make Android Auto available to your 2019 Lexus ES 350 or other in market vehicles.

Please be assured that market trends are closely studied to give us a better idea of what packages and options are in demand. Then based on our findings, our Product Planning Department is able to choose those vehicles and options that best suit the needs of the buying public and which options are available on which packages.

We have noted your comments regarding Android Auto and have forwarded them to the appropriate departments within Lexus Canada for information purposes."

I think it would be helpful if others here do the same thing - ask Lexus for AA software support, it will probably push them to offer the update faster.
Well if this statement is true and correct, then this is the first definitive statement I've seen from Lexus clearly stating that Android Auto will not be offered to owners of 2019 ES cars...
" There are no plans to provide an update to make Android Auto available to your 2019 Lexus ES 350 or other in market vehicles".
Old 01-16-20, 09:31 AM
BJBBJB
Driver School Candidate

Default 2019 ES300h android auto

Originally Posted by bc6152
Well if this statement is true and correct, then this is the first definitive statement I've seen from Lexus clearly stating that Android Auto will not be offered to owners of 2019 ES cars...
" There are no plans to provide an update to make Android Auto available to your 2019 Lexus ES 350 or other in market vehicles".
Wow, if this is true that would be very disappointing. I have had several Lexus vehicles but only now registered on the forum as I was researching.
When I bought the car (2019 ES300h in December 2018) I thought I even saw it in writing somewhere. It has apple play (I think, don't use it) but have been waiting for Android Auto. Other things intervened and just thought of checking on it now.

I tried to call Lexus corporate and they did not know anything about it. Nothing definitive either way. If there is a specific web page or email let me know and I will join in the requests.

Thanks, this looks like a great forum.
BJBBJB
Old 01-16-20, 10:12 AM
rezafmk
Driver School Candidate

I tried to call Lexus corporate and they did not know anything about it. Nothing definitive either way. If there is a specific web page or email let me know and I will join in the requests.
What I poted here was from Lexus Canada. Their answer (i.e., "There are no plans to provide an update to make Android Auto available to your 2019 Lexus ES 350")could mean they know more, or less. Nevertheless, I think it's most helpful to request this as many times as possible. The contact page for US: https://www.lexus.com/contact and for Canada: https://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/contact-lexus

Old 05-09-20, 09:56 PM
yakuzi
Driver School Candidate

Delete——....
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_1955.MOV (2.73 MB, 41 views)

Last edited by yakuzi; 05-09-20 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Wrong post, delete
Old 05-11-20, 04:39 AM
FTBoomer
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

I've had this dongle for about 3 months now (with iPhone) and it sounds amazing. Set up is easy but a bit glitchy. Sometimes the volume isnt available and I have to reboot the dongle but other than that it works really well. The biggest difference though is how much it make the whole sound system sound. Since it's broadcasting through WiFi, the transmission speed is greater than that of bluetooth and thus sounds 10 fold better. What really surprised me though is that it even sounds tremendously better than hardwired.

Highly recommended.
Old 05-12-20, 02:44 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by FTBoomer
I've had this dongle for about 3 months now (with iPhone) and it sounds amazing. Set up is easy but a bit glitchy. Sometimes the volume isnt available and I have to reboot the dongle but other than that it works really well. The biggest difference though is how much it make the whole sound system sound. Since it's broadcasting through WiFi, the transmission speed is greater than that of bluetooth and thus sounds 10 fold better. What really surprised me though is that it even sounds tremendously better than hardwired.

Highly recommended.
Thanks for your comments. I don't understand how it could sound better than wired. If I understand the technology, the iPhone sends digital data to the ML audio digital-to-analogue converter (DAC). Digital content is a whole lot of 0s and 1s. The exact same digital content is being fed into the same DAC. Logically, it should sound the same, unless I'm missing something.

At the risk of turning off the non-audiophiles on this board, how would you describe the sonic difference? What's the quality of the music you're using for comparison? Is it CD/HD quality? Ultra HD?
Old 05-13-20, 04:53 AM
FTBoomer
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidZ
Thanks for your comments. I don't understand how it could sound better than wired. If I understand the technology, the iPhone sends digital data to the ML audio digital-to-analogue converter (DAC). Digital content is a whole lot of 0s and 1s. The exact same digital content is being fed into the same DAC. Logically, it should sound the same, unless I'm missing something.

At the risk of turning off the non-audiophiles on this board, how would you describe the sonic difference? What's the quality of the music you're using for comparison? Is it CD/HD quality? Ultra HD?

I do consider myself an audiophile. I am streaming Tidal HiFi and Master. The sound is much bigger and room filling. The spatial quality is the most impressive quality. The other is how clean and crisp the mids and highs are. Playing a few jazz pieces from Austrian guitarist Wolfgang Muthspiel, the instruments all have their place in the soundstage. The bass from the bassist is tight.

I agree that using the internal iPhone DAC while wired should sound far better but it doesn't.

Quick Reply: Dongle Providing ANDROID AUTO on ES 350 With Apple CarPlay