ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Buying out of town (Good idea or Bad idea)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-19, 08:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by lancecov
Hi. One other thing to consider is sales tax (if you buy out of state). Some states (e.g. Maryland) have no reciprocity agreements with other states and will make you pay the entire sales tax. For example, if you are a Maryland resident and buy a car in Florida, you will pay the full sales tax twice!
This is not true. You pay sales tax where the vehicle is titled. So if you buy out of state, you pay MD sales tax and only MD sales tax. How do I know? I’ve lived in MD my whole life and have done it repeatedly. Now, if you buy it in FL, title it in FL, and then re-title it in MD you will pay sales tax twice, but you dont do that if you're buying out of state.

As for engine break in, I wouldn’t worry about it. I’ve never done anything special to break in an engine and have suffered no ill effects. Listen to the manual.
The following users liked this post:
bc6152 (12-19-19)
Old 12-18-19, 09:24 PM
scubadvr1
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

My two cents worth....first, you can drive your car without worrying about a break in period as long as you vary your speed during the trip - so don't use the cruise control on the way home and you should be fine. A car dealer told me that years ago. Regarding sales tax; as several have noted, as long as you tell the dealer you are purchasing the car from what state you live in they will charge you the sales tax for your state (county, actually) and the plates will be sent to you from that state/county, either directly, or from the dealer who sold you the car since they might get the plates for you. (Depends on state how that happens.) You do NOT pay sales tax twice. Check with the dealer before you go to pick up the car and they should confirm this. I live in FL where a lot of people buy their car here and then drive it back home. The dealers here deal with this all the time and it is never a problem. However, as mentioned above, you better make darn sure you have the price and every freaking fee down in writing, approved by the general manager, before you come down to get the car. Because, once you've made the trip, the dealer has all the leverage. So make CERTAIN every dollar is accounted for before you show up to collect the car. And obviously he can't give you a quote on your trade in until he sees the car, so drop by a CarMax or some other dealer once you get to the out of state dealer to get a comparison quote for the trade. Good Luck!
Old 12-19-19, 04:53 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

As scubadvr1 states, many unscrupulous sales people and sales managers will quote you a "low ball" price to get you into the store then tell you that "this or that" wasn't included and we didn't add this feature in. This is an old trick that has been used for years... Unfortunately when one travels 700-800 miles to pick up a vehicle, you're screwed, blued, and tattooed...
Either you pay or walkaway empty handed. When they get you into the store you lose most of the control of negotiations.

A dealer tried this on my son who wanted a certain vehicle which was difficult to find. He called the dealer, who said he had the car, negotiated the price, and when we got there they didn't have the car but a lower model. The one he wanted was much more money... We walked away.
Old 12-19-19, 06:59 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

It's a pretty common practice, especially if you are looking for a particular car. Like others have mentioned, get as much information as possible beforehand and have the paperwork FedEx'd to you. That way, you can bring the paperwork with you when you go to pick up the car. If the car STILL isn't what you thought it was, you can simply rip up the paperwork. The ball's in your court.
The following 2 users liked this post by ThomasGS4:
bc6152 (12-19-19), JRey350hou (12-19-19)
Old 12-19-19, 10:00 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This is not true. You pay sales tax where the vehicle is titled. So if you buy out of state, you pay MD sales tax and only MD sales tax. How do I know? I’ve lived in MD my whole life and have done it repeatedly. Now, if you buy it in FL, title it in FL, and then re-title it in MD you will pay sales tax twice, but you dont do that if you're buying out of state.

As for engine break in, I wouldn’t worry about it. I’ve never done anything special to break in an engine and have suffered no ill effects. Listen to the manual.
That sales tax issue didn't smell right. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 12-19-19, 10:07 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mikemu30
That sales tax issue didn't smell right. Thanks for clarifying.
AFAIK this is how it's done nationwide, all states cooperate... I have a friend who lives in Delaware and he told me to buy my car down there as Delaware has no sales tax.
He didn't know that when I would register the car in Pennsylvania I'd pay the PA sales tax anyway...
Old 12-19-19, 11:04 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bc6152
AFAIK this is how it's done nationwide, all states cooperate... I have a friend who lives in Delaware and he told me to buy my car down there as Delaware has no sales tax.
He didn't know that when I would register the car in Pennsylvania I'd pay the PA sales tax anyway...
They should collect sales tax in DE and use some of the proceeds to educate the residents
Old 12-19-19, 11:35 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mikemu30
They should collect sales tax in DE and use some of the proceeds to educate the residents
Now, now. That's not nice. Delaware is primarily rural with many farms but they're good people. My experience is that they are genuine patriotic (educated) Americans...
Old 12-19-19, 11:41 AM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

I have had no problem purchasing a Lexus from out of town. If all goes well tomorrow, it will be the 3rd Lexus I have purchased in Dallas area while being from and living in Houston area my entire life. It's all about doing the pre-work and knowing exactly what comes with the pkgs and what additions if any you will accept.
Sometimes I've had to coach them on how they come !! . As far as negotiations I feel it's a strength of mine that I've done in my entire professional job career, so not uncomfortable with that part at all. I wanted ES FSPORT with AS/Black with Nav and after giving local Lexus dealer about a week to find it, needed to look elsewhere. I know exactly what I'm paying and getting when I get there. Should be pretty seamless actually since I already will have a check in hand from my Co. Credit Union where I was able to get 1.9% interest and allowed me to take advantage of Lexus $1500.00 rebate along with the discount off msrp I achieved of course. Looking frwd to being a new ES FSPORT owner!!
ThomasGS4 (12-19-19)
Old 12-19-19, 05:50 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JRey350hou
I have had no problem purchasing a Lexus from out of town. If all goes well tomorrow, it will be the 3rd Lexus I have purchased in Dallas area while being from and living in Houston area my entire life. It's all about doing the pre-work and knowing exactly what comes with the pkgs and what additions if any you will accept.
Sometimes I've had to coach them on how they come !! . As far as negotiations I feel it's a strength of mine that I've done in my entire professional job career, so not uncomfortable with that part at all. I wanted ES FSPORT with AS/Black with Nav and after giving local Lexus dealer about a week to find it, needed to look elsewhere. I know exactly what I'm paying and getting when I get there. Should be pretty seamless actually since I already will have a check in hand from my Co. Credit Union where I was able to get 1.9% interest and allowed me to take advantage of Lexus $1500.00 rebate along with the discount off msrp I achieved of course. Looking frwd to being a new ES FSPORT owner!!
Good luck with the ES FSport - you will love it.
JRey350hou (12-19-19)