ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Need buying/ordering advice on factory order

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-19, 11:42 AM
carsareus
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Need buying/ordering advice on factory order

Went to my local Lexus dealer for the second time yesterday and really checked out the cars in detail this time. The salesperson was very helpful. After looking at my must haves, they did a search and couldn't find anything in stock anywhere. I was wanting a Hybrid but after thinking about it and talking to the salesperson, I decided to just get the ES 350 considering the hybrid is almost $1800 more. I can buy lots of gas for that amount. My must haves are Silver Lining Metallic, black interior, ML sound system with Navigation, Triple beam headlights, blind spot monitor and 18 inch alloy noise reducing wheels. The dealer is telling me they would need $1000 down and it would be a 4 month wait.

I have no problems with these terms, however I'm getting mixed information from them in regards to the best way to get a discounted price. They claim I can get a discount through Costco or USAA if I have membership with them. They are telling me they won't know the actual sale price of the car going that route until the car is actually delivered and comes in since Costco's prices vary every month. I could also ask them to just give me Their best price and go with that. I have a real problem buy a car without knowing the exact sale price until the car is delivered although they claim it won't be over MSRP. I'm looking for advice from anyone who has done a factory order from Lexus before. Also I assume I should be shopping around and requesting quotes from other dealers since its a factory order? Has anyone ever had problems with factory orders from Lexus before? Do the dealers need allocations to do factory orders?
Old 12-15-19, 12:40 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Your must haves dont seem all that unique. Id shop around and find the vehicle or have the dealer locate one, agree on the price and then give them the 1k to bring it over.
Old 12-15-19, 12:45 PM
carsareus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Your must haves dont seem all that unique. Id shop around and find the vehicle or have the dealer locate one, agree on the price and then give them the 1k to bring it over.
I want to add I'm looking for a 2020 model with a build date after October so finding this combination in this color has been difficult. BTW the dealer has searched within a few hundred miles and I also have been searching with no luck.
Old 12-15-19, 02:24 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

My advice would also be to shop around and find a car instead of special ordering. Second, don't use Costco car buying service unless you want to pay more and do not want to do any negotiating. Each time a Costco referral results in a sale, Costco gets a payday... Who pays? You do... When I bought my 2019 the salesman told me not to go thru Costco as I'd do better by myself... So I went to each dealer - same owner - and got one price thru Costco and one by myself... I did better. Also, if you special order you have to wait 3-4 months. If the car comes in with damage and you reject it you start all over. I would never S.O. any vehicle. Plus, never buy a car when they won't give you a fixed price. Ridiculous...
Old 12-15-19, 02:45 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by carsareus
I want to add I'm looking for a 2020 model with a build date after October so finding this combination in this color has been difficult. BTW the dealer has searched within a few hundred miles and I also have been searching with no luck.
I thought I read silver lining had been discontinued for 2020 but its still listed on the build page.
Old 12-15-19, 05:15 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I thought I read silver lining had been discontinued for 2020 but its still listed on the build page.
Looks like silver lining still an option for the ES but discontinued on the RX.
Old 12-15-19, 05:30 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 387 Likes on 228 Posts

Mike is correct, Silver Lining is still around for the 2020 ES. It was discontinued for the 2020 RX.
Old 12-15-19, 06:40 PM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 94 Posts

Auto trader.com will allow you to search inventory by zip code, one of the catchs is you need to know what your (options included) vehicle MSRP window sticker will be as Auto Trader doesn't give you a way to really see in one place exactly what is available without drilling into each dealers web page to search their inventory. It also gives you a real good idea of just how difficult it will be to find what you want.
Old 12-15-19, 08:25 PM
carsareus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dklanecky1
Auto trader.com will allow you to search inventory by zip code, one of the catchs is you need to know what your (options included) vehicle MSRP window sticker will be as Auto Trader doesn't give you a way to really see in one place exactly what is available without drilling into each dealers web page to search their inventory. It also gives you a real good idea of just how difficult it will be to find what you want.
Thanks for the tip. I actually found the EXACT car I was looking for but its in Texas. I've sent them an Email inquiring about the car.

Last edited by carsareus; 12-15-19 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-16-19, 06:35 PM
carsareus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by carsareus
Thanks for the tip. I actually found the EXACT car I was looking for but its in Texas. I've sent them an Email inquiring about the car.
So I've been corresponding with a dealer out of state and they have given me pricing on a Fully loaded 2020 Ultra Luxury ES350. This car checks everything I wanted exactly. I asked and its been on their lot for approximately 1 month. The MSRP is $54,360 and they have offered it to me for $52,203. This appears to be a discount of approximately 4.0%. I would also get $2500 cash back from Lexus on two combined rebates. I know the 2020 models aren't getting the same discounts as the 2019 are but these doesn't seem very generous. My costs to have the car shipped to me is $1300 using their vendor. This pricing does not include shipping. Originally they wanted an additional $650 but decided to split the shipping costs with me. I'm thinking I could get this pricing by doing a factory order but would have to wait 4 months. The additional wait isn't a big deal to me. Any advice on if I should do a counter offer and how much that should be?0
Old 12-16-19, 07:06 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Congratulations and hope it works out for you. Just for comparison purposes here is what I paid in December of 2018 for a 2019 UL 350 with all options...

List: $53,430.00 - selling price $49,500.00 a discount of approximately 7% + PA tax of 6%... GOOD LUCK!

Old 12-16-19, 08:33 PM
carsareus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bc6152
Congratulations and hope it works out for you. Just for comparison purposes here is what I paid in December of 2018 for a 2019 UL 350 with all options...

List: $53,430.00 - selling price $49,500.00 a discount of approximately 7% + PA tax of 6%... GOOD LUCK!
This is very helpful and gives me a guide on what might be possible on the negotiations.

Thanks
Old 12-17-19, 02:07 PM
CashGap
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

GET THE HYBRID.

The cost is almost nothing. While the gas will pay for it, I ***LOVE*** the fact that even driving 85 miles per day Monday through Friday, I get gas once per week not TWICE per week.

It's a big deal.
Old 12-19-19, 04:27 PM
carsareus
Intermediate

To make a long story short I bought a 2020 Lexus ES 350 Ultra Luxury today. I found 3 dealerships out of state in Texas that had exactly what I wanted and negotiated prices and decided to by from Sewell Lexus in Dallas. I live in Northern California. I received 7.2% off MSRP before any Lexus incentives. The car is fully loaded with almost every option. Silver Lining metallic with Black interior. The car is still inbound and is scheduled to be delivered next week. My only decision to make is do I have the car delivered (Around $1200) or should I take a few days off from work and fly to Dallas and drive it back? I have no experience driving this route (I-40 W). My concern is bad weather and snow. I did a search for a couple places on that route and in Flagstaff Arizona they are forecasting snow. Has anyone ever drove that route before and can you advise on weather conditions in December? Very excited to get the car!
Old 12-19-19, 04:42 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

See, I told you... There was a car out there for you. GOOD LUCK and congratulations on the new wheels... Have a ball driving back or waiting for it to be delivered.

Quick Reply: Need buying/ordering advice on factory order