ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Poor gas mileage om 2019 ES 300h

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-20 | 09:24 AM
DDTBM
Driver School Candidate

Default Poor gas mileage om 2019 ES 300h

Just wondering others with a 2019 ES 300h how the mpg is as mine has gone down I'm guessing due to the winter additives. Lexus says 44 mps I have gotten 42 I think in the beginning as I'm getting 31 now. I was told to start the car in normal mode for better acceleration then go to eco. I'm not on the highway much.

Thanks for any help
Old 01-12-20 | 01:39 PM
oldcajun
Racer

In addition to any fuel additives, winter requires the ICE to run more to provide heat for the car interior and to bring the catalytic converter up to operating temperature. This effect is most dramatic for short trips.
The following users liked this post:
doctored5 (02-12-20)
Old 01-12-20 | 01:53 PM
mickbrown
Driver

Originally Posted by DDTBM
Just wondering others with a 2019 ES 300h how the mpg is as mine has gone down I'm guessing due to the winter additives. Lexus says 44 mps I have gotten 42 I think in the beginning as I'm getting 31 now. I was told to start the car in normal mode for better acceleration then go to eco. I'm not on the highway much.

Thanks for any help
You may want to read the thread on this VERY SAME subject!
Old 01-12-20 | 02:11 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Thanks for any help

42 mpg is what you should get. If it persists on another tank or two, I’d have the dealer take a look at it.
Old 01-12-20 | 07:29 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Thanks for any help
Winter fuel blends, increased use of the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE), and tire pressures that tend to drop in colder weather seem to be the biggest culprits for gas mileage drops in the winter. That said, your drop shouldn’t be more than 4 or 5 mpg. With a drop of ten or twelve, I would suspect something more is going on. I haven’t filled a tank for some time so I can’t really give you a fair comparison. The other question I might have, is why not leave the car in Eco mode. I do and I have never found the car wanting for power under acceleration. The hybrids are definitely not the hot-rods of the ES lineup, and that’s not why you buy a hybrid, but they do quite well in normal driving and staying in Eco may help your mileage.

Last edited by TechNut; 01-12-20 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-12-20 | 07:31 PM
Ken7
Driver

You really can’t generalize what one should get. We all have too many variables between geography, temperature, driving habits and other things. The more important thing is how your own mileage has changed barring any significant changes with things like weather.
Old 01-13-20 | 08:38 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Look at fuel economy long term over several tanks. Not the snapshot indicated on the dash. Doing that for any given short commute will make any car look bad.
Old 01-13-20 | 08:40 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

It's due to winter time blend fuel and the cold weather
Old 01-14-20 | 03:35 PM
aygriffith
Driver

I drive 90% city and the most recent 6+ tanks I've driven in Eco mode exclusively. I've not once had a 40mpg tank according to my tracking of mileage in Fuelly. Any tank that is 36-37mpg is 100% city mpg. The tanks that get 38+ probably have 15-20% highway miles on them.

Much better than my 2016 Genesis AWD, but less than I was expecting by 2-4mpg. I've had a similar experience with my Ford Hybrid not being able to get the rated mpg city or highway. I wouldn't say I'm an aggressive driver, but you do have to baby the car to try to get 40mpg in the city. Also, I'm in Dallas and the only hills we have to drive up are freeway ramps. I don't do a good job of turning off the A/C in this car since there isn't a separate A/C button the physical controls on the dash. I'm more vigilant about that in the Ford since it's not only hidden in the on-screen menus. Not sure if that's where my 2-3mpg is really being lost.
Old 01-14-20 | 03:50 PM
Moisture
Lead Lap

36-37mpg in all city is a great figure...
Old 01-14-20 | 09:35 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

I'm pretty disappointed with the MPG. The estimates said 44-45. I drive mostly freeway to and from work with cruise control set at 70-72 on Eco mode almost all of the time. I was averaging like 40-41 for the first few months of owning the car. Now it's down to like 37 average.
Old 01-15-20 | 04:24 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jimv1983
I'm pretty disappointed with the MPG. The estimates said 44-45. I drive mostly freeway to and from work with cruise control set at 70-72 on Eco mode almost all of the time. I was averaging like 40-41 for the first few months of owning the car. Now it's down to like 37 average.
Maybe you should have gotten the Camry Hybrid then. Based on the weight of the ES300h and the relatively older hybrid/engine tech, you have to understand that it really doesn't get much better than whatever your current MPG is unless you go diesel or even opt for Mazda's skyactiv-x technology whenever that comes to North America. The ES300h is a great car for MPG/comfort, quality, etc. I wouldn't fret about it.

Just enjoy the car.
Old 01-15-20 | 04:37 AM
Ken7
Driver

Originally Posted by jimv1983
Driving at 70mph and above will certainly cut down on your gas mileage, it would with any car. The physics of having to cut through all that air, at that speed, is what it is. Drop down to 60mph or so for a week and then check it again. The EPA estimates are certainly not performed at 70-75mph, if they were the estimates would be lower.
Old 01-15-20 | 05:49 AM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Make sure your tire air pressure is the same/correct too, it can vary significantly due to ambient air temps, and could easily drop/increase by 10%, which will definitely effect your MPG, as long as nothing else has changed.
Old 01-15-20 | 07:09 AM
actionzhe
Driver

I'm genuinely surprised by the poor MPG people are getting as I'm getting solid tank average into the 50s for every single tank, and near 600 miles of range per tank since I picked up my car. I could not be more impressed with the MPG on this car. ​But my commute is long and congested, I don't do much short trips, and I have my heater on 68F at the max.

Biggest reason for drop in winter apart from gasoline is usually just the heater. Heater takes a fairly large toll on MPG as it requires the engine to stay running to provide hot air when it can normally shut off. So if you are setting it in the 70s while ambient temperature is in the 30s the engine will stay running A LOT. If you are on local roads where usually EV mode kicks in to give you the MPG boost, well there will be no EV mode and you now essentially just have a slightly more efficient 4 cylinder car. On the other hand I dont think AC makes that big of a difference in MPG especially in the hybrid.

Quick Reply: Poor gas mileage om 2019 ES 300h