ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Wireless Apple CarPlay on Lexus ES350 Using Carplay2Air

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-23, 05:26 PM
stberdoc
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are those settings on my Lexus ES? If so, I haven't seen a General setting. Am I missing something. Thank you so much for responding... This is driving me crazy.
Old 02-26-23, 05:27 PM
stberdoc
6th Gear

Originally Posted by grp52
What is your Setup [the gear icon] -> General -> Projection menu item set to? It has to be set to ON for automatic Apple Carplay connecting.
Are those settings on my Lexus ES? If so, I haven't seen a General setting. Am I missing something. Thank you so much for responding... This is driving me crazy.
Old 02-26-23, 05:52 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 512 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by stberdoc
"Setup [the gear icon] -> General -> Projection" [whoops, Projection should have been Projection Settings] is the chain of menu items to select either by touch pad or touch screen selection on your 12.3 inch multimedia screen.

Hit the "MENU" button locate just above your console touch pad, Then on the 12.3 inch screen, the Setup [the gear icon] menu item is the second from the right menu item located along the bottom edge of the screen.. Select it either using the touch pad or the touch screen. Then on the screen that gets displayed, that should be the "General" screen, but if it isn't find and select "General" to get to the "General" screen and on that screen the "Projection Settings" menu item should be the fourth menu item.
Old 02-26-23, 06:05 PM
stberdoc
6th Gear

Originally Posted by grp52
"Setup [the gear icon] -> General -> Projection" [whoops, Projection should have been Projection Settings] is the chain of menu items to select either by touch pad or touch screen selection on your 12.3 inch multimedia screen.

Hit the "MENU" button locate just above your console touch pad, Then on the 12.3 inch screen, the Setup [the gear icon] menu item is the second from the right menu item located along the bottom edge of the screen.. Select it either using the touch pad or the touch screen. Then on the screen that gets displayed, that should be the "General" screen, but if it isn't find and select "General" to get to the "General" screen and on that screen the "Projection Settings" menu item should be the fourth menu item.
thanks for the clarification. Apple CarPlay is set to on in that menu and still when I plug in the device it does not seem to recognize it. Should it before I connect my phone to the device via Bluetooth?
Old 03-13-23, 07:43 PM
MAMOSKO
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesAZ
Since Ottocast is having a sale, decided to swap out my Carlinkit 2.0 for a U2-AIR. Was $70 and fits immensely better and doesn't rattle around like the Carlinkit and the performance and everything feels the same. Pretty sure they're the same product, just different packaging if I remember correctly.

Totally agree with you on the fit of the Ottocast. Fortunately for me it's the only dongle I've purchased and it was on sale at the time. So for $87ish (ottocast - amazon and cord - aliexpress) I have a reliable wireless Carplay conneciton that works well with no modification whatsoever to my 2022 ES.
Old 03-13-23, 09:10 PM
PrznPrince
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MAMOSKO
Totally agree with you on the fit of the Ottocast. Fortunately for me it's the only dongle I've purchased and it was on sale at the time. So for $87ish (ottocast - amazon and cord - aliexpress) I have a reliable wireless Carplay conneciton that works well with no modification whatsoever to my 2022 ES.
Would it be possible to share the link/name of the cable? I've tried searching but there's so many entries I just want to be sure I get the right one (I'm a fellow 2022 owner as well )
Old 03-14-23, 12:25 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 974 Likes on 733 Posts

I have the Carlinkit 4.0 and it is laggy especially when I need to skip the song.
Also, sometimes the Lexus UI freezes for a couple of seconds.
Old 03-14-23, 01:53 PM
MAMOSKO
Driver

Default Ali Express Cord for 7th Gen ES

Originally Posted by PrznPrince
Would it be possible to share the link/name of the cable? I've tried searching but there's so many entries I just want to be sure I get the right one (I'm a fellow 2022 owner as well )
Sure... this worked for me and I think it would work for any 21-22 ES 350. I had asked the same question earlier in this thread to no avail and spent months trying different options unsuccessfully until I described what I wanted to a vendor wo responded (in Chinese) with this link. Try looking up via description in Aliexpress.com. The vendor shop number is there if you have trouble finding, just send them a note and ask. I bought mine in a 30CM length but you could probably get away with a third of that length. Shipping is 5-6 weeks, so some level of patience (I don't have) was required. Best of luck and enjoy your vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails Wireless Apple CarPlay on Lexus ES350 Using Carplay2Air-short-usb-a-to-usb-c-cord-for-es-350.jpg  
Old 03-14-23, 02:42 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 520 Likes on 319 Posts

Here is a link to the exact cable I bought (basically the same but shorter):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001277564185.html - pick option AMRI-TYPEC-MST, 10CM

I turned my CarPlay device sideways from how it is shown in that photo above. I have a pic somewhere here in a thread that is titled something like "you can remove the USB cover on a 2022 without damage".
Old 03-14-23, 06:10 PM
MAMOSKO
Driver

Default All cords are not the same - despite appearances

Originally Posted by LS500Fan
Here is a link to the exact cable I bought (basically the same but shorter):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001277564185.html - pick option AMRI-TYPEC-MST, 10CM

I turned my CarPlay device sideways from how it is shown in that photo above. I have a pic somewhere here in a thread that is titled something like "you can remove the USB cover on a 2022 without damage".
Hey, I've been lurking for ideas on the wireless option for many 3-4 months and appreciate your posts and all the others. I believe it was on 1/27/2023 that you posted about removing the cover which is an option I considered but fortunately did not have to do.

As to your AliExpress link, our descriptions of MRI-CMST and the look of the cords are similar, but the cords on the USB-A side are definitely not the same. I actually ordered the one you recommend in the link a couple of months ago and the USB-A side was too tall, sticking up out of the USB port too much.

That's when I asked the vendor if they knew where I could find someone to make me a custom, very short, USB-A end (not the cord but the actual metal shorter) so the plug would sit flat against the USB port in the car. They responded with the product I showed in my post above which is described as being a super short USB (not the cord but the plug itself) further stating it works for Lexus ES models. I was skeptical but for a few dollars more I figured I'd try it out. I was shocked that I'd been looking for months and hadn't run across this cord they had been making already... for our model cars. It worked!

Below is the actual link they sent with the message in Chinese - I needed Google/Translate

这个是短体的USB您看看
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...andl_shipto=US

It allows me to have the cord plugged in and close both the USB cover and the larger console cover with no problem. This kept me from having to remove the cover from the USB port while achieving wireless AA, and keeping things tucked neatly out of the way.

Just wanted to respond with my experience using the various cords and to say thanks for your informative posts throughout the forum. Cheers.

TLDR: Cord mentioned by LS500 is not the same despite similarities to the one made with "ultra short" USB-A for Lexus ES use. See link just below Chinese sentence.
Old 03-14-23, 07:05 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 520 Likes on 319 Posts

After looking at both products on the website, the USB-A part looks identical to me....? Your USB cover is different than mine BTW.

Last edited by LS500Fan; 03-14-23 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-15-23, 04:25 PM
MAMOSKO
Driver

Originally Posted by LS500Fan
After looking at both products on the website, the USB-A part looks identical to me....? Your USB cover is different than mine BTW.
Hey LS500Fan, I understand why you would be confused by the pictures. As mentioned in my post, I was too, but after a little back and forth with the vendor, I took a shot at getting the cord that I linked and viola! It is in fact different, despite appearances. Here is the cord at your link (on the bottom) and the one from the same vendor but with the description of being ultra short and suitable for Lexus ES on the top (from my link). I think you'd agree there is a difference?

It allows for closing of the USB cover, and console cover without any modification on 2021+ models, as pictured. It's not as flat as the TaoBao link but I don't have a friend in China to get me that cord.

BTW... I'm aware you have a different year and USB cover. I was just referencing the post for the top bracket cover you mentioned and the fact that one would not have to worry about taking the USB unit out to take the cover off. As I said, I've lurked (and studied) ALL the posts associated with going wireless for quite a while before I lucked upon a simple solution.

I'm hoping that others interested in going wireless will save time, effort, and money from my findings.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails Wireless Apple CarPlay on Lexus ES350 Using Carplay2Air-ali-wire-1.jpeg   Wireless Apple CarPlay on Lexus ES350 Using Carplay2Air-wireless-aa-1.jpeg   Wireless Apple CarPlay on Lexus ES350 Using Carplay2Air-wireless-aa-2.jpeg   Wireless Apple CarPlay on Lexus ES350 Using Carplay2Air-wireless-aa-3.jpeg  
The following users liked this post:
1Priest (04-08-23)
Old 04-06-23, 04:57 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 974 Likes on 733 Posts

Today I removed my Carlinkit 4.0 and I am wired now.
The dongle is laggy, some 3-4 seconds to skip a song, the built-in UI freezes. Crap.

I need to purchase a better one. Any recomendations?
Old 04-06-23, 05:26 PM
PrznPrince
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ESh
The dongle is laggy, some 3-4 seconds to skip a song, the built-in UI freezes. Crap.

Did you try updating the firmware/no impact? That's helped before
Old 04-06-23, 07:24 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 467 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by ESh

I've been happy with my Motorola MA1 unit. The only downside I've had with it, and this goes for any wifi direct unit, is driving by airports the signal sometimes cuts out or completely drops.

Quick Reply: Wireless Apple CarPlay on Lexus ES350 Using Carplay2Air