Originally Posted by FTBoomer
Press and hold the power button until it shuts off then reboots
Thank you!
Old 12-03-20, 07:51 AM
houtxguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry USB Cover Redesign

Wondering if anyone knows how to remove this ridiculous cover for the USB ports on the 2021 ES350. I've received the flat ribbon cable I ordered a month ago from Ali Express and I want to be able to close the console while having the Carplay2air adapter connected to the USB. I had a 2019 ES FSport and the door was a rubber cover you could easily remove and put back via a snap-on connector. Now, for some odd reason, Lexus decided to put a hard plastic cover over the ports that is hinged and not designed to be removed. Appears the ribbon cable it will work perfectly - except - you can't close the console/cup holder cover without removing the USB port cover. This is really a stupid design and why they changed it from the 2019 design is beyond me. Only option I see is to break off the cover while trying not to damage the surrounding area. I can't see any other way to accomplish this. 4

Any thoughts?

Last edited by houtxguy; 12-03-20 at 02:35 PM. Reason: add pic
The following users liked this post:
1Priest (06-30-21)
Old 12-26-20, 08:56 PM
JerryWest
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by houtxguy
Wondering if anyone knows how to remove this ridiculous cover for the USB ports on the 2021 ES350. I've received the flat ribbon cable I ordered a month ago from Ali Express and I want to be able to close the console while having the Carplay2air adapter connected to the USB. I had a 2019 ES FSport and the door was a rubber cover you could easily remove and put back via a snap-on connector. Now, for some odd reason, Lexus decided to put a hard plastic cover over the ports that is hinged and not designed to be removed. Appears the ribbon cable it will work perfectly - except - you can't close the console/cup holder cover without removing the USB port cover. This is really a stupid design and why they changed it from the 2019 design is beyond me. Only option I see is to break off the cover while trying not to damage the surrounding area. I can't see any other way to accomplish this. 4

Any thoughts?

A perfect place for a USB port would've been in the center console near the wireless charger.. After reading this thread I noticed the same thing on my new 2021 ES350. Instead I will used a black 1ft USB to 90 degree lighting connector cable.
1Priest (06-30-21)
Old 12-27-20, 06:07 AM
FTBoomer
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

I think I just grabbed a flathead screwdriver and popped mine off. I knew I'd never reattach it so I didn't care if it broke, Don't remember if it did or not

Originally Posted by houtxguy

Any thoughts?

1Priest (06-30-21)
Old 12-28-20, 01:25 PM
mnixon
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really wanted a wired solution for best sound quality and CarPlay together on my 2020 ES350 UL. I considered tying into the wiring inside the console, but I found a non destructive solution that has worked well. The slot forward of the cupholder is a great secure holder for my 11 Pro with a case, so I experimented with mounting a interface at the bottom. I first used layers of craft foam which made a successful prototype for about a week until the bends in the cable started throwing off the alignment. Then I went for a more stable material in Apoxie Sculpt modeling compound with a 1ft 90 degree USB to Lightning cable
Amazon Amazon
others have mentioned. I made the hard Apoxie Sculpt mount a bit narrower than the width of the cavity and used a trimmed down commode wedge to secure it. To make the slot a bit more form fitting to my case I added a few layers of craft foam hot glued to the removable cupholder insert and the back of the opening in the console. See the pics blow... The foam doesn't make the insertion foolproof, but I get it to connect about 9 times out of 10 or better first try. It now has been in place for 2 months without adjustment. The phone stays secure and connected unless a very large cup presses against it. I can close the cover, but it rubs the top of the 90 degree connector. I can still close it with a minor amount of force, but since I use my phone in the slot most of the time I rarely close it.

The cable just routes over the top and in the forward left corner of the opening. It stuck out a bit more at first, but now it hugs the corner.

With eh insert removed you can see the mount I made of Apoxie Sculpt. Due to the length of the cable I had to route it across the far side then around the front side and back to the center.

Here is a view of the insert turned around so you can see where I added the craft foam to make the slot more snug around the phone. This way I can make adjustments for new phones or cases.

Here is a close up of the mount created with Apoxie Sculpt and the wedge to hold it in with pressure. There is also a piece of foam on the back to help with the alignment to the Lightning connector.

Here it is with my phone inserted. I took a video of inserting it, but size limits for uploading got in the way. It slips in snugly and connects first try about 95% of the time.

Last edited by mnixon; 12-28-20 at 01:35 PM.
LeonGT (08-11-21)
Old 01-22-21, 02:41 PM
RunUR262
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FTBoomer
Nope, tried those. Didn't work
For those still looking for a solution. Found these on Amazon, works perfectly and allow you to close the door.

Amazon Amazon

Will also need these extenders due to the right angle.

https://www.amazon.com/Extender-Cellularize-Lifeproof-Otterbox-Nintendo/dp/B07MBWH7QG/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=usb+c+extender&qid=1611355238&sr=8-3 https://www.amazon.com/Extender-Cellularize-Lifeproof-Otterbox-Nintendo/dp/B07MBWH7QG/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=usb+c+extender&qid=1611355238&sr=8-3

Good luck.

FTBoomer (01-23-21)
Old 01-27-21, 03:30 PM
STLLEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mnixon
I really wanted a wired solution for best sound quality and CarPlay together on my 2020 ES350 UL. I considered tying into the wiring inside the console, but I found a non destructive solution that has worked well. The slot forward of the cupholder is a great secure holder for my 11 Pro with a case, so I experimented with mounting a interface at the bottom. I first used layers of craft foam which made a successful prototype for about a week until the bends in the cable started throwing off the alignment. Then I went for a more stable material in Apoxie Sculpt modeling compound with a 1ft 90 degree USB to Lightning cable https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 others have mentioned. I made the hard Apoxie Sculpt mount a bit narrower than the width of the cavity and used a trimmed down commode wedge to secure it. To make the slot a bit more form fitting to my case I added a few layers of craft foam hot glued to the removable cupholder insert and the back of the opening in the console. See the pics blow... The foam doesn't make the insertion foolproof, but I get it to connect about 9 times out of 10 or better first try. It now has been in place for 2 months without adjustment. The phone stays secure and connected unless a very large cup presses against it. I can close the cover, but it rubs the top of the 90 degree connector. I can still close it with a minor amount of force, but since I use my phone in the slot most of the time I rarely close it.

The cable just routes over the top and in the forward left corner of the opening. It stuck out a bit more at first, but now it hugs the corner.

With eh insert removed you can see the mount I made of Apoxie Sculpt. Due to the length of the cable I had to route it across the far side then around the front side and back to the center.

Here is a view of the insert turned around so you can see where I added the craft foam to make the slot more snug around the phone. This way I can make adjustments for new phones or cases.

Here is a close up of the mount created with Apoxie Sculpt and the wedge to hold it in with pressure. There is also a piece of foam on the back to help with the alignment to the Lightning connector.

Here it is with my phone inserted. I took a video of inserting it, but size limits for uploading got in the way. It slips in snugly and connects first try about 95% of the time.
Can you share info for the cord you bought for this?
Old 01-30-21, 10:17 AM
AllinCLE
Driver

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

I have the Carplay2Air for my ES and it's been working great. Glitches are few and far between since it last updated itself. I had some customs cables made so I can plug it in and close the lid over the cupholder.

I'll snap a picture and it post it here too.
Old 01-30-21, 10:25 AM
STLLEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by AllinCLE
I have the Carplay2Air for my ES and it's been working great. Glitches are few and far between since it last updated itself. I had some customs cables made so I can plug it in and close the lid over the cupholder.

I'll snap a picture and it post it here too.
please do I would like to be able to do that with mine.
Old 01-30-21, 10:58 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Several months ago, I ordered the same cable that GoGoPSU used (Post 54 above). It worked really well, until I had to remove it from the USB port to troubleshoot a minor issue I was having with the CP2Air (resolved by a firmware update). The second or 3rd time I removed the cable from the port, I separated the cable itself from the connector. It's a little on the flimsy side. On the other hand, it did work well and I was able to keep the Carplay2Air in cup holder and close the door with no issues at all. I wish the Carplay2Air fit in the cupholder better, but it doesn't matter since you can keep the door closed all the time! It's just not a viable cupholder anymore. And .... unless you have an issue like I did, you really never have to unplug the cable.

I ordered 2 new cables this morning. 1 to use, and 1 to have in reserve if (when) I break it again. (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000302723088.html) The A3 and A4 are the connectors I got, along with a 10CM FPV cable. These were exactly what GoGoPSU suggested. The one I ordered the first time, came fully assembled, so I expect the same this time. Cost for the one was $9.18 plus shipping. It seems like it took forever to get here from China, but it was probably within the 6 or 8 weeks GoGoPSU mentioned.
Old 01-30-21, 11:56 AM
AllinCLE
Driver

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by STLLEXUS
please do I would like to be able to do that with mine.
Here you go! Admittedly it isnt the prettiest, with it open, but my goal was to be able to use carplay and have that door closed. It's worked great for me so far and if a passenger uses that cupholder, the carplay2air unit can temporarily sit in the phone slot.

The only other thing I did was get a quality usb charger to plug my phones into and keep in the center console. The positive side of this is I can charge them both much faster than the car itself could.

I do wish Lexus would have just put a USB port inside the console so I wouldn't have had to do something so convoluted just to have my phone 1) connected to Carplay 2) Charge and 3) not have a cable out in the open. Or heck, even if they had made the wireless charging pad (for which I paid extra!) fit a modern phone with a case.
FTBoomer (01-31-21)
Old 02-07-21, 12:58 PM
VictorNey
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree...it works great with my 2020 ES
Old 06-30-21, 10:11 AM
1Priest
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Did anyone ever figure out how to remove the USB cover on 2021 without breaking it?
Old 07-01-21, 12:26 AM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Here's my front console set-up utilizing the cup holder for my wireless charger; routing the cable to the center console and nicely tucking the CarPlay2Air device behind the USB ports .

1Priest (07-01-21)

Quick Reply: Wireless Apple CarPlay on Lexus ES350 Using Carplay2Air