ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

ES 300h After 5000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-20 | 08:02 AM
nymat
Driver School Candidate

Default ES 300h After 5000 miles

Sharing my experience after 5000 miles - 2019 ES300h Luxury. What drove me to the Lexus ES hybrid is the brand reliability and mpg consideration.

What I love about the car:
  • Seating /driving position
  • Smooth and very comfortable ride
  • Steering response (much better than I expected)
  • ML sound system
  • Excellent safety systems- the reverse auto braking feature already prevented an accident in a parking garage
  • Appearance and finish (both internal and external)
  • Radar assisted cruise control & lane keep assist –found it very useful for highway driving and I am using it more frequently than I thought.
  • The triple LED headlight
What I am not happy about:
  • My average MPG is between 35-38 miles, most likely due to my driving situation, as about half of my trips are between 3 to 5 miles and not energy efficient. These ultra-short trips score under 30 mpg and I get around 40 mpg when I drive for more than 25 miles. The mpg also drops significantly under 50-degree F. Probably a plug in hybrid is better suited for my driving situation
  • The car is generally very quiet but there is an annoying ticking noise from the headliner (driver side) when driving over rough surface. It sounds like a plastic trim that is not properly fixed, or could be the plastic handle. I mentioned this to the service engineer who said it is ‘normal’. They adjusted a misaligned cabin trim piece in the back during the service, but the noise is still there.
  • I have occasionally felt the need for more power while trying to merge into busy highways…but it is a hybrid…no complaints
  • Poor ventilation/ heating for the rear passengers, I played with the climate system but couldn’t figure it out. There is almost no heat coming through the rear vents
  • Durability of the perforated leather seats…need to be very careful. My back seat already has a tiny tear. I will eventually need to fix it and the OEM rear seat bottom cover (without the cushion) costs about $1170
  • The touch pad…I am getting used to it but would still prefer a touch screen
  • Numerous brown spots (probably rail dust) on the pearl white paint, the dealership though it is normal and suggested me to use a rubbing compound. They don’t have a body shop and cannot address it.
Overall I feel the ES300h is a great highway cruiser and most suitable for those with long commute.

-

The following users liked this post:
Davelee34 (03-29-21)
Old 03-01-20 | 08:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

For the rail dust, lookup CarPro Iron X. Follow the instructions well.
Old 03-01-20 | 02:13 PM
aygriffith
Driver

Originally Posted by nymat
  • The car is generally very quiet but there is an annoying ticking noise from the headliner (driver side) when driving over rough surface. It sounds like a plastic trim that is not properly fixed, or could be the plastic handle. I mentioned this to the service engineer who said it is ‘normal’. They adjusted a misaligned cabin trim piece in the back during the service, but the noise is still there.
This is has been driving me nuts since I picked up my ESh last summer. I expected this with a pano roof (had rattles after 10k miles in every pano roof car I've ever had) but to immediately have a rattle in a normal sunroof Lexus is annoying.

When you grab your "***** handle" above your head does the rattle go away? I feel like mine does. I haven't tried just turning the screws tighter on the handle. Might be worth a try.

And your mileage is similar to mine. I'm at 8k miles and maybe 9 months and I just last week got my best mpg tank at 39.x mpg according to my Fuelly calcs. Most have been around 37mpg. I have a 6 mile one way surface street commute that would have made more sense for a plug-in hybrid.
Old 03-01-20 | 05:35 PM
nymat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
For the rail dust, lookup CarPro Iron X. Follow the instructions well.
Thank you...Iron X looks promising. Going to order one.
Old 03-01-20 | 05:47 PM
nymat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aygriffith
This is has been driving me nuts since I picked up my ESh last summer. I expected this with a pano roof (had rattles after 10k miles in every pano roof car I've ever had) but to immediately have a rattle in a normal sunroof Lexus is annoying.

When you grab your "***** handle" above your head does the rattle go away? I feel like mine does. I haven't tried just turning the screws tighter on the handle. Might be worth a try..
Thank you...I totally hear you, the noise is irritating since it is so close to the ear
I am not sure if it is from the handle since I hear it even when I grab it. However, the noise is very inconsistent, sometimes I don't hear it over rough terrain and other times it is very annoying.
Old 03-01-20 | 07:39 PM
lexdanbury
Driver School Candidate

Sharing my experience after 5000 miles - 2019 ES300h Luxury. What drove me to the Lexus ES hybrid is the brand reliability and mpg consideration.

What I am not happy about:
-
I have exactly the same issue of annoying ticking noise in my 19 F Sport around the driver door and I think around the infotainment screen (something loose).
It is also very annoying that there is a lot of howling wind noise (in addition to normal/bearable wind noise) when driving over 50 mph (happen 70-80% of the time).
My car has 9K miles now over 1 year. These issues were not obvious for the first 3-4K miles.

It drives me insane and made me think about switching to a different automaker.

Old 03-01-20 | 11:43 PM
DY31
Driver School Candidate

Thank you...I totally hear you, the noise is irritating since it is so close to the ear
I am not sure if it is from the handle since I hear it even when I grab it. However, the noise is very inconsistent, sometimes I don't hear it over rough terrain and other times it is very annoying.
I faced the same issue in my RHD ES300h. There was creaking/ticking noise coming from top right side.
It was coming due to flexing of roof sheet metal with B pillar. It was solved by removing the headliner, sunroof assembly and then filling the joint with insulation foam.
Old 03-02-20 | 05:56 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DY31
I faced the same issue in my RHD ES300h. There was creaking/ticking noise coming from top right side.
It was coming due to flexing of roof sheet metal with B pillar. It was solved by removing the headliner, sunroof assembly and then filling the joint with insulation foam.
Did you resolve your issue under Lexus warranty, or was that a project you undertook yourself?
Old 03-02-20 | 06:51 AM
DY31
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Wandl
Did you resolve your issue under Lexus warranty, or was that a project you undertook yourself?
The work was done under Lexus warranty.

Work in progress picture. The noise was emanating from roof sheet metal joint.
Old 03-02-20 | 11:11 AM
nymat
Driver School Candidate

I don't think my dealership will do anything like this...they told me that the technician did not hear anything unusual.
Old 03-02-20 | 11:13 AM
nymat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DY31
The work was done under Lexus warranty.

Work in progress picture. The noise was emanating from roof sheet metal joint.
I don't think my dealership will do anything like this....they told me that the technician did not hear anything unusual
Old 03-10-20 | 09:30 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Poor ventilation/ heating for the rear passengers, I played with the climate system but couldn’t figure it out. There is almost no heat coming through the rear vents
-
Was there anyone actually riding in the back seats when you noticed that? There is a setting called "S-Flow" that changes where the air blows based on where people are sitting. You can read more about it in the manual. It should be like page 258. Just a thought.

The following users liked this post:
mcomer (03-11-20)