ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

CPO 2019 ES Major Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-20 | 10:49 AM
Lweber40
Driver School Candidate

Question CPO 2019 ES Major Oil Leak

Hi. We just bought a CPO 2019 ES 350 (11K miles) from a dealership in Houston. We drove the car 25 miles to our side of town and stopped at our son's house for about 10 minutes. We left the car running during that time. A few minutes after we left his house, our son called to say that there was a major oil puddle on his drive way. We were in our neighborhood so we continued to our house. While my husband got out to open our garage (1-2 minutes), a 6 inch puddle of oil appeared on our drive way. We pulled into the garage and put a piece of cardboard down. Oil was streaming out; we eventually put an oil pan under the car.

Came in and called our salesman. He was very concerned and assured us they would take care of everything. He called us back to say that since it was late Saturday, that they would send a tow truck out on Monday to pick it up. He also had a loaner delivered to us a couple hours later.

Our concern is that we have 3 days to change our mind which is today. So I'd like to get some other opinions. The paperwork says that the dealership changed the oil 10 days before. We are thinking that the oil filter was not tightened but we don't know for sure. Our concern is that damage could have been done on the 25 mile drive home. The oil pressure light never came on. When we checked the oil level, we can't tell because the oil is so clean we can't see it or its not showing.

So, as part of the 161 point inspection, we have an opportunity to back out of this vehicle and find another. We really want this car but not if there could be permanent damage.

Can I get some opinions please?

Thank you.
Old 04-05-20 | 11:01 AM
TriC
Racer

While it is unlikely that any damage, much less major damage, was done, why take a chance? If it was me, I would unwind the deal if possible.
The following users liked this post:
bob256k (04-08-20)
Old 04-05-20 | 11:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Welcome to CL as a new poster.

I've cautioned potential buyers, for years, not to trust CPOs, but to give them the same visual inspections and test-drives as you would any other used vehicle....or even a new one, as they, though less-often, can also have defects.

As long as the red oil-light did not come on, there was probably no major internal engine damage, but, if you feel better doing it (and I wouldn't blame you if you did), cancel out on the deal.

If the dealership loses the sale because a technician screwed up, though, on something as simple as an oil change, that tech is probably going to get anything from a chewing-out from his bosses to a fine/suspension to an outright firing.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-05-20 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-05-20 | 11:16 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Get your money back why take a chance. Maybe the engine will be fine maybe not, there is a risk.
Old 04-05-20 | 11:17 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lweber40
Hi. We just bought a CPO 2019 ES 350 (11K miles) from a dealership in Houston. We drove the car 25 miles to our side of town and stopped at our son's house for about 10 minutes. We left the car running during that time. A few minutes after we left his house, our son called to say that there was a major oil puddle on his drive way. We were in our neighborhood so we continued to our house. While my husband got out to open our garage (1-2 minutes), a 6 inch puddle of oil appeared on our drive way. We pulled into the garage and put a piece of cardboard down. Oil was streaming out; we eventually put an oil pan under the car.

Came in and called our salesman. He was very concerned and assured us they would take care of everything. He called us back to say that since it was late Saturday, that they would send a tow truck out on Monday to pick it up. He also had a loaner delivered to us a couple hours later.

Our concern is that we have 3 days to change our mind which is today. So I'd like to get some other opinions. The paperwork says that the dealership changed the oil 10 days before. We are thinking that the oil filter was not tightened but we don't know for sure. Our concern is that damage could have been done on the 25 mile drive home. The oil pressure light never came on. When we checked the oil level, we can't tell because the oil is so clean we can't see it or its not showing.

So, as part of the 161 point inspection, we have an opportunity to back out of this vehicle and find another. We really want this car but not if there could be permanent damage.

Can I get some opinions please?

Thank you.
If you have the option for a return. I’d just do the return. I would want to start off on the right foot. For my own knowledge, is the ES a JT vin by any chance?
Old 04-05-20 | 11:20 AM
Lweber40
Driver School Candidate

The VIN is an FT
Old 04-05-20 | 11:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The VIN is an FT
Not sure what FT is.
Old 04-05-20 | 11:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The VIN is an FT

Jill's question about the "J" in the VIN probably refers to the first digit, where "J" signifies a vehicle where final-assembly is in a Japanese plant. I have never heard of a "F" or "FT" starting a VIN, particularly on a Toyota or Lexus product....you might want to check the VIN again. It can be found on a small attachment at the base of the driver's side of the windshield.
Old 04-05-20 | 11:58 AM
Lweber40
Driver School Candidate

Oh LOL. sorry. Obviously I don't read VIN... The first letter of my Vin is a number 5 but I think what you are asking for is the letter K
Old 04-05-20 | 12:27 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

undo the deal if possible. not worth the risk after that much oil was lost.
Old 04-05-20 | 12:33 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Given the unknown cause of the issue, I would advise as well to formally terminate transaction. You can even tell them in your cancellation that you are doing this as a precaution given the unknown cause of the issue and the unknown potential damage to the engine. Then you are protected.

Then, later in the week, IF you can be satisfied there was no long tern damage, maybe you can negotiate a warranty extension or some other form of compensation for agreeing to accept the vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
DMattinson (04-09-20)
Old 04-05-20 | 12:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Oh LOL. sorry. Obviously I don't read VIN... The first letter of my Vin is a number 5 but I think what you are asking for is the letter K
Made in USA.

Originally Posted by wasjr
Given the unknown cause of the issue, I would advise as well to formally terminate transaction. You can even tell them in your cancellation that you are doing this as a precaution given the unknown cause of the issue and the unknown potential damage to the engine. Then you are protected.

Then, later in the week, IF you can be satisfied there was no long tern damage, maybe you can negotiate a warranty extension or some other form of compensation for agreeing to accept the vehicle.
Originally Posted by davyjordi
undo the deal if possible. not worth the risk after that much oil was lost.
Great advice

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-05-20 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-05-20 | 02:31 PM
Lweber40
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for your recommendations. We will see what we can do tomorrow.
Old 04-06-20 | 03:52 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I would get rid of it if it costs $0.00 and don't do business with that dealer again. Not sure how it works, have a friend's friend he deliberately tries and buys tires for 1-3 months, and returns them the last day, but it works, gets a new set. CPO is a money maker so imho try to get a non CPO car, a 2019 has a warranty anyway. Good luck.

I bought a used Lexus as well and discovered brakes pulsating and driver door lock actuator didn't work. Called same thing on a Sat. and salesman was nice as pie. He never so much as called ever again, said he would handle on Monday. (it's not like they actually care, let's accept it). I just made my own service appt. and they fixed it free, but it required a 2nd and 3rd trip back, and the dealer was 150 miles away to include the GW Bridge. First trip up took 4 hours. I look up the dealer in Yelp, and another used car buyer said, "Mike is useless, a worthless person." And I thought kinda sad, but yes, true.
Old 04-06-20 | 05:34 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

I would recheck the oil level. If it is not below the lower mark then i would not worry about it if it ends up being a bad oil filter gasket or drain bolt was not tighten properly. Know what you are talking about when the oil is so clean. Pull out the dipstick and at eye level and stick flat check level. Lighting makes all the difference. You are looking for the top wet mark. if nothing serious since you get four free services I would ask for two more for the inconvenience to you and their mistake. if you love the car got a good deal and was just down a quart I would not hesitate to keep it.

Quick Reply: CPO 2019 ES Major Oil Leak