ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

What do I lose if I get an ES without navigation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-20, 06:52 AM
Lexus376
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What do I lose if I get an ES without navigation?

Rarely need navigation in my driving.
In my old ES, I use an excellent Garmin with voice directions.
Also have an iPhone with unlimited data which gives voice directions.
What do I lose if I get a 2020 ES without navigation?
Searched ClubLexus discussions and found a lot of dissatisfaction with built-in nav. Most helpful thread I found is this one from last January and July:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...tion-maps.html
From the manual on the Lexus site...
1. It looks like all I would lose is the ability to have the radio and climate screens both display at the same time on split screen with the 12" screen vs one-at-a-time on the 8" screen.
2. The manual mumbles about displaying your iPhone screen on either version of Lexus screen and feeding audio from iPhone into car's sound system, however the voice directions work fine with either Garmin or iPhone sitting in the ashtray in old Lexus.
3. Not interested in the introductory-but-paid-later Lexus feature of calling someone and getting directions downloaded from them.
4. Not worried about resale value of car.
What would I miss? Thanks!

Last edited by Lexus376; 04-11-20 at 06:57 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-11-20, 07:22 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

If you don't use it, why pay for it? I did not pay for the ML sound system in my RCF since I rarely use the audio system, and did not believe it was worth the 4 grand extra. Us old guys always had a map in the glove compartment for use as a guidance reference, not live navigation. As you probably remember, when we started out driving, gas stations had free maps, so if lost, you had the option to fill up the gas tank, and have them show you on a paper map how to get to your destination.

Only thing you will lose is the time trying to find a ES you like, that does not have navigation!
The following users liked this post:
Lexus376 (04-11-20)
Old 04-11-20, 09:20 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,329 Likes on 681 Posts

The 12" screen is worth it alone. The 8" looks so out-dated and cheap in comparison.
The following 2 users liked this post by 95bat:
DavidZ (04-11-20), Lexus376 (04-11-20)
Old 04-11-20, 10:01 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

I don't think you can get the panoramic view without the 12" screen. I will say that I initially thought it was just a gimmick, but it is my new favorite feature. It is great help to keep you from getting too close to curbs or running front of car onto a curb. I actually use and like the factory Nav, but there are definitely complaints. I just don't like playing with my phone while driving, nor do I like the small screen size of my phone (I would need reading glasses while I drive ). Anyway, I'm not trying to convince you to use something you don't want - and largely agree with what bob67 said, if you don't use it (and you already commented on lack of concern regarding resale) then why pay for it?
The following 2 users liked this post by TechNut:
irishbrahm (04-12-20), Lexus376 (04-11-20)
Old 04-11-20, 10:26 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Of the 7 or 8 cars that I've bought in the last 18 years, all but one of those cars have had a navigation system. With the one car that I did buy during that time that didn't have a navigation system, immediately after the purchase, I regretted that I had bought a car without the navigation system. Even if I don't use the navigation system often for route guidance, I find it valuable to have a nice large and easy-to-read map built into the car that I can use to check to see what intersections are coming up, where I am in relation to my destination, etc. On the other hand, when I see cars whose owners are using their phones or navigation devices not built into the car, not only are they harder to view, but, to me, they just look tacky.

Besides whatever utility a navigation system might (or might not) offer, there is another factor to be considered.

Especially with luxury car brands, used car buyers of those brands typically expect the cars that they are buying to be well-equipped, including having navigation systems. Many who are looking for a used Lexus won't consider buying a used Lexus if it doesn't have a navigation system (or other premium options).

There was a used car manager from a Lexus dealer who occasionally posted on the CL boards, and I can recall of couple of his posts in which he said that, when someone wants to trade in a Lexus at his dealership, if the car doesn't have a navigation system, he immediately severely discounts the trade-in offer that he will make because he knows that that non-navigation car is likely to sit on his lot for an extended period of time and that he likely will eventually have to sell it for a significantly reduced price or even send it to auction. On the other hand, he said that used cars with navigation generally move off of his dealer's lots very quickly.

Whether someone trades in an ES or tries to sell it privately, navigation systems return a higher percentage of their original cost than just about any other option.

The following 5 users liked this post by lesz:
All4Lexus (04-11-20), bc6152 (04-11-20), irishbrahm (04-12-20), Lexus376 (04-11-20), Tootsall (04-11-20)
Old 04-12-20, 12:39 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Much of what you lose is resale value. People looking for used luxury cars expect it. I have the Lexus nav and Apple Car-Play which lets me choose which to use. Sometimes the Lexus system is better, sometimes the Apple system is better, I like the choice.
The following 2 users liked this post by oldcajun:
Lexus376 (04-12-20), mikemu30 (04-12-20)
Old 04-12-20, 02:22 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Besides what has already been said, there is another factor that tends to further depress the re-sale or trade-in value of an ES without navigation.

If buyers compare the prices of a used one or two year old ES without navigation to the selling prices of a brand new very well-equipped Avalon or Camry or other similarly priced offerings from Ford or GM, they will find that the pricing is in the same range. And, for many buyers, when they see that they are able to buy a loaded (including navigation) brand new Camry or Avalon or other similar car for the same price as or lower price than that of a used basic ES without navigation, they will decide not to buy the used ES. And the fact that the prices of those other brand new cars compete favorably with the prices of a used not-so-well-equipped ES further decreases the demand of the less than well-equipped ES and further depresses its re-sale or trade-in value.
Lexus376 (04-22-20)
Old 04-22-20, 08:31 AM
UncleMoney
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2019 without nav - still have heated steering wheel, htd and cooled seats, sunroof, 18" wheels - plenty of nice things. On the rare occasion that I need nav I use the apple car play. Don't miss it all. And I certainly don't miss paying for it while my car sits in the driveway for week 6 of this lockdown.

Anyway, if money is no object get the bigger screen - it definitely looks impressive.
BUT - not the end of the world if you don't have it. Still a beautiful car.

Last edited by UncleMoney; 04-22-20 at 10:14 AM. Reason: clarity
The following 2 users liked this post by UncleMoney:
Lexus376 (04-22-20), RaiderHawk (10-25-22)
Old 05-17-20, 08:35 AM
patnic517
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
The 12" screen is worth it alone. The 8" looks so out-dated and cheap in comparison.

100% agree with this!

I didn't get navigation because 1) I read here that the maps and directions weren't so great. 2) I was planning on using my Google Maps once Android Auto became available - as you have probably heard that's not working out so well for 2019s

So I bought my 2019 without Navigation - and my screen looks so dated and layout just looks like it was meant for something else - which it was!. It is so unimpressive. So I have this great looking car where the screen is small and the area below the clock is just wasted space. Huge regret.

Lexus376 (05-17-20)
Old 05-17-20, 12:15 PM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

Yes the 12" screen is the centerpiece of its attractive dash. Looks very standard without it.
Lexus376 (05-17-20)
Old 05-17-20, 04:24 PM
Haddaway91
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I was told don't get the navigation on my ES so I went with the dealers suggestion and started using apple car play which sucks IMO. I regret now getting the navigation.
Old 05-17-20, 05:23 PM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Haddaway91
I was told don't get the navigation on my ES so I went with the dealers suggestion and started using apple car play which sucks IMO. I regret now getting the navigation.
do you mean "NOW" or "NOT?"
Lexus376 (05-17-20)
Old 05-17-20, 08:37 PM
carsareus
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm actually pretty happy with my navigation and the 12 inch screen was important to me.
The following 2 users liked this post by carsareus:
Lexus376 (05-17-20), TechNut (05-18-20)
Old 05-18-20, 06:49 PM
Haddaway91
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LeeSoFL
do you mean "NOW" or "NOT?"
Meant NOT. I HATE not having navigation.
Lexus376 (05-18-20)
Old 05-19-20, 07:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I would suggest to you with any car purchase, don't cheap out and not get the options you really want, even if you don't think you want them. I've done that a couple times in my car-buying life, and it just reduces your overall enjoyment of the car, and it makes you want to replace the car more quickly.

I did that with my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I traded it for a higher spec model in 2014, and I did it with my 2015 LS460 and traded it and took a bath on my current 2017 LS460L. The LS460L has all the features that I want, and now 2.5 years in to having it, I really have no desire to trade it in. I drive other cars I like, but I just don't have the drive to replace it because it really is everything that I want.

So get the navigation if only for the big screen, get the audio upgrade, get the interior upgrades, those things really improve your enjoyment of the car even if you think they won't.
The following 7 users liked this post by SW17LS:
1stTimeLex (05-20-20), BlueIS05 (05-19-20), irishbrahm (05-19-20), isaacsow (05-20-20), LeeSoFL (05-19-20), LexBob2 (05-20-20), Lexus376 (05-19-20) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: What do I lose if I get an ES without navigation?