ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Paint Protection Film by 3M

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-20, 08:15 AM
raiders3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Paint Protection Film by 3M

Does anyone possess an opinion on paint protection film by 3M as option that he or she would express.
Old 04-24-20, 11:24 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

I have paint protection film on my 2017 ES. The film that I have is the top grade of Xpel film.

A good paint protection film application will not be cheap, but it will serve a very useful purpose.

Prices for paint protection film can vary widely, depending on which film you get and how much coverage you get. The least expensive paint protection film packages generally cover only the front portion of the hood, the front portion of the fenders, and some or all of the front bumper. With the way that today's cars are designed with lots of painted surfaces toward the front of the car and with aerodynamics that thrust stones and other objects up onto the painted surfaces, there are lots of areas on the car that are vulnerable to damage to the paint. A good paint protection package is going to include the full front bumper, the full hood, the full front fenders, mirrors, and possibly other areas, including the A pillars, front portion of the roof, door handle cups, and door edges.

A cheap package with minimal coverage might only cost $400-500. A complete package with high quality film might cost $2000 or more.

Also, note that lower grade films might have a 4 or 5 year warranty against discoloring, peeling, etc. Higher grade films from the various manufacturers might come with 10 year warranties.

The way to save some money on a high quality complete paint protection film package is to include its purchase in the negotiations at the time you buy the car. If you save the purchase of the paint protection film as the last item in your negotiations and if you don't bring it into the negotiations until every other item in the deal has been negotiated, the dealer is likely to be willing to sell you the paint protection film at their cost or, at least, with a very minimal profit, which should bring the cost of the paint protection film down to 1/2 or less than the normal advertised price. The dealer is not going to be willing to lose a sale just to be able to make additional profit on the paint protection film.

If you care about the fits and finishes of your car, I consider paint protection film to be a good way to protect the car's finish, but, again, there are wide ranging differences between the protection offered by some packages and that offered by others.
The following users liked this post:
PCW (04-24-20)
Old 04-24-20, 12:20 PM
raiders3
Driver

Thanks so much for your detailed response.

Very informative.
Old 04-24-20, 01:12 PM
PCW
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I also had top grade Xpel PPF applied to my new 2020 ES F-Sport. Entire front end and fenders/mirror caps/A-Pillars/door handle cups/the top of the rear bumper. Additionally I had Xpel Fusion ceramic coating applied to the entire car. The paint feels like glass and it has a 4 year warranty on the Fusion. I don't have to wax the car only apply some spray and wipe Xpel enhancer once a week. This is the latest technology and was worth every dollar.
LexNYC83 (04-25-20)
Old 04-24-20, 01:29 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PCW
I also had top grade Xpel PPF applied to my new 2020 ES F-Sport. Entire front end and fenders/mirror caps/A-Pillars/door handle cups/the top of the rear bumper. Additionally I had Xpel Fusion ceramic coating applied to the entire car. The paint feels like glass and it has a 4 year warranty on the Fusion. I don't have to wax the car only apply some spray and wipe Xpel enhancer once a week. This is the latest technology and was worth every dollar.
Your post reminds me of another benefit of a quality paint protection film. Things like bird droppings, tree sap, and other environmental contaminants can easily be wiped off of the film before they have a chance to permanently etch or otherwise damage the paint.

With paint protection film covering the entire front end of the car and with the all glass pano roof, the only horizontal surface on the car that I have to watch because its paint is vulnerable to environmental contaminants is the relatively small horizontal portion of the trunk lid.
dsj41 (12-28-21)
Old 04-24-20, 01:56 PM
raiders3
Driver

Here is a copy and paste from the Lexus site I just found.

https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrive...etails/ART5720
ACCESSORY SPOTLIGHT: PAINT PROTECTION FILM
Think of this option as a shield for your Lexus

Posted: Mar 27, 2019

Those little rocks you occasionally hear bouncing off your Lexus aren’t just minor nuisances—they’re the daily enemy, a threat to the long-term aesthetics of your sharp-looking vehicle.

And while you can’t control the countless bits of minor debris scattered across the world’s roadways, you can control their potential to ding and scratch your Lexus’ vulnerable areas, especially if you’re looking to help preserve the vehicle’s new-car look. The solution is called Paint Protection Film by 3M™*, and it’s a genuine Lexus accessory worth considering.

In a nutshell, Paint Protection Film by 3M™ is a clear material that’s applied to vehicle areas most susceptible to airborne rocks and other minor road debris, such as certain sections of the hood, front fenders, side-view mirror backs, and front bumper.

For years, Lexus has offered top-tier paint protection film technology, and for 2019 the accessory is even more advanced. It not only helps protect against rock chips, bugs, and general outdoor weathering, it’s even more transparent and durable than previous versions. Plus, depending on the model, the accessory also offers expanded vehicle coverage: in addition to the hood, fenders, front bumper, and side-view mirror backs, the material can be applied to door edges and door cups (the concave areas behind door handles).

“Think of this accessory as a clear shield that helps preserve your vehicle’s showroom look over the long term,” explains Austin Fadel of Lexus. “Plus, it seamlessly conforms around the vehicle’s contours.“

Fadel points out that Paint Protection Film by 3M™ also has self-healing qualities. Made of tough-but-flexible polyurethane (reinforced with a durable urethane layer that provides additional UV protection), the material features a self-healing formula that’s designed to help the film bounce back from minor scratches.

“This is helpful not just for minor scratches in the protective film from road debris, but also for small accidental abrasions we don’t often think about, such as ring and fingernail scratches behind door handles,” says Fadel.

The best time to add this accessory is with a new vehicle, so it’s definitely worth considering with your next Lexus. That said, Paint Protection Film by 3M™ can be applied anytime if you’re looking to preserve your model’s current appearance. Once applied by a qualified technician, the film requires a few special—but simple—maintenance considerations, such as dusting and waxing the film regularly to prevent dirt buildup around the edges and maintain the glossy finish. (Lexus drivers with this accessory receive a concise maintenance guide.)

If this is an accessory you’re interested in knowing more about—be it for your current or next Lexus—talk to your Lexus dealership service advisor, who will be happy to tell you about model-specific options, pricing, and installation.
Old 04-24-20, 02:55 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by raiders3
Here is a copy and paste from the Lexus site I just found.

ACCESSORY SPOTLIGHT: PAINT PROTECTION FILM
Think of this option as a shield for your Lexus

Posted: Mar 27, 2019

Those little rocks you occasionally hear bouncing off your Lexus aren’t just minor nuisances—they’re the daily enemy, a threat to the long-term aesthetics of your sharp-looking vehicle.

And while you can’t control the countless bits of minor debris scattered across the world’s roadways, you can control their potential to ding and scratch your Lexus’ vulnerable areas, especially if you’re looking to help preserve the vehicle’s new-car look. The solution is called Paint Protection Film by 3M™*, and it’s a genuine Lexus accessory worth considering.

In a nutshell, Paint Protection Film by 3M™ is a clear material that’s applied to vehicle areas most susceptible to airborne rocks and other minor road debris, such as certain sections of the hood, front fenders, side-view mirror backs, and front bumper.

For years, Lexus has offered top-tier paint protection film technology, and for 2019 the accessory is even more advanced. It not only helps protect against rock chips, bugs, and general outdoor weathering, it’s even more transparent and durable than previous versions. Plus, depending on the model, the accessory also offers expanded vehicle coverage: in addition to the hood, fenders, front bumper, and side-view mirror backs, the material can be applied to door edges and door cups (the concave areas behind door handles).

“Think of this accessory as a clear shield that helps preserve your vehicle’s showroom look over the long term,” explains Austin Fadel of Lexus. “Plus, it seamlessly conforms around the vehicle’s contours.“

Fadel points out that Paint Protection Film by 3M™ also has self-healing qualities. Made of tough-but-flexible polyurethane (reinforced with a durable urethane layer that provides additional UV protection), the material features a self-healing formula that’s designed to help the film bounce back from minor scratches.

“This is helpful not just for minor scratches in the protective film from road debris, but also for small accidental abrasions we don’t often think about, such as ring and fingernail scratches behind door handles,” says Fadel.

The best time to add this accessory is with a new vehicle, so it’s definitely worth considering with your next Lexus. That said, Paint Protection Film by 3M™ can be applied anytime if you’re looking to preserve your model’s current appearance. Once applied by a qualified technician, the film requires a few special—but simple—maintenance considerations, such as dusting and waxing the film regularly to prevent dirt buildup around the edges and maintain the glossy finish. (Lexus drivers with this accessory receive a concise maintenance guide.)

If this is an accessory you’re interested in knowing more about—be it for your current or next Lexus—talk to your Lexus dealership service advisor, who will be happy to tell you about model-specific options, pricing, and installation.

Unfortunately, to have real protection, you need more coverage than that package offers.

If you get full coverage of the hood and full coverage of the fenders, besides protecting a larger area, there is another advantage. When the fenders and hood only get partial coverage, ugly dirt and wax tends to build up along the line where the film ends and the unprotected area starts. With full coverage of those panels, there is no such edge where dirt or wax can build up.

That Lexus package typically sells for around $500. I suppose that it is better than nothing, but it doesn't offer as much protection as what I would want.

Lexus376 (04-25-20)
Old 04-25-20, 01:44 PM
Lexus376
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same question and searched the entire CL forums site. Found comments that the film starts to some off after a couple of years and then shows a line between where the film has been applied and the major areas where it is not applied.
To search the entire CL forums site, run this search in a Chrome browser:
"paint protection film" site:https://www.clublexus.com/forums/
(This technique works better than the built-in search on every CL page.)
Old 04-25-20, 02:46 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexus376
Had the same question and searched the entire CL forums site. Found comments that the film starts to some off after a couple of years and then shows a line between where the film has been applied and the major areas where it is not applied.
To search the entire CL forums site, run this search in a Chrome browser:
"paint protection film" site:https://www.clublexus.com/forums/
(This technique works better than the built-in search on every CL page.)
Over the last 15 years, the quality and performance of paint protection film has significantly improved. If the film has been properly applied, it should not be likely that it will start to peel. And, as I said in my earlier post, the highest quality films offer longer warranties, up to 10 years, that include protection against the film peeling off. Also, other aspects of paint protection film, such as resistance to discoloration have improved significantly.

Lexus376 (04-25-20)
Old 04-25-20, 03:23 PM
Lexus376
Driver School Candidate

Here are two links on the Lexus site
"The best time to add this accessory is with a new vehicle, so it’s definitely worth considering with your next Lexus. That said, Paint Protection Film by 3M™ can be applied anytime if you’re looking to preserve your model’s current appearance. Once applied by a qualified technician, the film requires a few special—but simple—maintenance considerations, such as dusting and waxing the film regularly to prevent dirt buildup around the edges and maintain the glossy finish. (Lexus drivers with this accessory receive a concise maintenance guide.)"

Here's the official Lexus brochure for the case where a dealer adds the film to the car:
"Genuine Lexus Paint Protection Film by 3M™ is designed for specific sections of the hood, front fenders, mirror backs and door cups. Depending on the model, it may also be applied to select portions of the front bumper for an additional charge. Lexus Genuine Accessory Warranty will only apply when the installation is performed by a trained Lexus-approved installer. See Lexus dealer for details."
"Installation of the Lexus Paint Protection film must be completed by a Lexus Certified Paint Protection Film Installer, which typically is not a Dealer Associate. This is required for the complete Genuine Lexus Accessory Warranty (4yrs/50,000 miles) to apply. If a non-certified installer performs the installation, the “Parts-Only” warranty, 12 months, will be applicable."
https://drivers.lexus.com/lexus-driv...hure_FINAL.PDF
Old 04-25-20, 04:32 PM
raiders3
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus376
Here are two links on the Lexus site
"The best time to add this accessory is with a new vehicle, so it’s definitely worth considering with your next Lexus. That said, Paint Protection Film by 3M™ can be applied anytime if you’re looking to preserve your model’s current appearance. Once applied by a qualified technician, the film requires a few special—but simple—maintenance considerations, such as dusting and waxing the film regularly to prevent dirt buildup around the edges and maintain the glossy finish. (Lexus drivers with this accessory receive a concise maintenance guide.)"

Here's the official Lexus brochure for the case where a dealer adds the film to the car:
"Genuine Lexus Paint Protection Film by 3M™ is designed for specific sections of the hood, front fenders, mirror backs and door cups. Depending on the model, it may also be applied to select portions of the front bumper for an additional charge. Lexus Genuine Accessory Warranty will only apply when the installation is performed by a trained Lexus-approved installer. See Lexus dealer for details."
"Installation of the Lexus Paint Protection film must be completed by a Lexus Certified Paint Protection Film Installer, which typically is not a Dealer Associate. This is required for the complete Genuine Lexus Accessory Warranty (4yrs/50,000 miles) to apply. If a non-certified installer performs the installation, the “Parts-Only” warranty, 12 months, will be applicable."
https://drivers.lexus.com/lexus-driv...hure_FINAL.PDF
Thank you Lexus376.
Old 04-26-20, 01:47 AM
Imuje
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PCW
Dear can you upload some pictures of your nice car after the protection please
Old 04-26-20, 09:54 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 716 Likes on 524 Posts

It is my understanding that 3M has been doing these films for longer than most other manufacturers, but they quickly fell to a second tier as others introduced more advanced films. However, in the last few years 3M has definitely upped their game to the point their new products are much more competitive with XPEL and Llumar films. Both XPEL and Llumar offer 10 year warranties and I believe you can only get a 7 year warranty with the 3M films. I suspect you would be very happy with any of these products. Here is an interesting link that illustrates these three leading film manufacturers. https://www.exclusivedetail.com/best...otection-film/ Keep in mind, each manufacturer has multiple grades of film and only their top grades offer these longer warranties.

It can make you crazy trying to ensure you select the "best" product. I have had two cars done from a private company with XPEL, and two Lexus vehicles done by the dealer. I wouldn't be afraid to ask to see another vehicle done by the dealer's installer before you sign off on them doing the work. We had the dealer do two of our previous Lexus vehicles, and both had to have sections redone and both products used were noticeably thinner than the XPEL installations. When we purchased our current ES we informed the dealer we were not satisfied with the previous dealer installs so we were going to take it to a private contractor. They informed us they have a new shop and hired an installer and do all of the films in-house now. The dealer asked us to give them another try. I am pleased to say this time the dealer's installation was excellent and they used the premium grade of Llumar film. We have them do the entire front clip, the front of the mirrors, the A pillar and the front of the roof (up to the sunroof), plus door handle cups and door edges. Previous installs had some bubbles where two angles of the bodywork came together down low, or bubbles or highly visible edges.

Bottom line, I think the quality of the installation is more important than the brand, but I am a firm believer in these paint protection film products.
LexNYC83 (05-10-20)
Old 04-26-20, 02:09 PM
PCW
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Pics of ES after Xpel PPF and Xpel Fusion

Originally Posted by Imuje
Dear can you upload some pictures of your nice car after the protection please
Old 04-26-20, 02:21 PM
Lexus376
Driver School Candidate

"It is my understanding that 3M has been doing these films for longer than most other manufacturers, but they quickly fell to a second tier as others introduced more advanced films. However, in the last few years 3M has definitely upped their game to the point their new products are much more competitive with XPEL and Llumar films."

That explains the defensive text in 3M's website pitch to car dealers: "A NEW 3M Team of industry experts. Over 100 years of PPF expertise all under one roof. We have formed a new team of industry experts that are determined to make our customers more successful. This new team covers every aspect of the PPF business, including experienced pattern designers, a software specialist, PPF small business owners, a digital marketing strategist, as well as film experts in marketing and technical service – whose expertise and experience span decades in the aftermarket film industry. We are ready to help you grow your business."
file:///C:/Users/cg/Downloads/multimedia.pdf

Quick Reply: Paint Protection Film by 3M