ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

How do you use Android Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-20 | 06:42 AM
Jezza819
Pit Crew

Default How do you use Android Auto?

I own a 2020 NX300 with Android Auto and I originally posted this over in the NX forum but I think there are more ES owners with this same system that might can help me to figure out how to use it.

I used Android Auto for the first time today. I did a little test trip from here where I live to about an hour away to the address where I grew up. Got directions from Google Maps on my home PC and sent them to my phone. When I got out to the NX and paired the phone up the Android Auto app popped up on the phone asking me to allow it to take over everything. When I did that the menu popped up on the nav screen in the vehicle. Selected Maps and the address popped up, selected it and off we went. I must say I think I do like this form of navigation a little better than the factory nav. But I think I've confirmed I'm going to have to go get fitted for glasses because especially the moving map side of it is just too small for me to be able to read it. Even the factory nav screen is difficult for me to read. Unless I can find some sort of non reading glasses off the shelf at a store since I would only need them for driving.

Now here's where I had trouble with the Android Auto. Once I got to my old house address I thought ok now let's let Android Auto bring me back home. But for some reason I couldn't pull up maps to tell it to go home. Are you supposed to input addresses in Google Maps from the vehicle screen or from your phone? Because on the vehicle screen if I selected the Google Maps icon again it just showed me that I had completed that trip and wouldn't let me get past that. If I tried to go into maps on my phone it said Android Auto was running and I couldn't access maps while it was running so I turned it off. But turning Android Auto off meant that I couldn't get it back on again. So I just told the factory nav unit "go home" and used it on the way back.

What should I have done different? Maybe unplug the phone, unpair it, then redo it all like it was the first time being connected? Speaking of the factory nav, this new 11.0 system, it says that it now uses "the cloud". Is it just getting traffic updates and such from the cloud or is it supposed to be more intuitive with better route choices than the old systems?
Old 05-04-20 | 10:53 AM
95bat
Racer

I don't think you're supposed to touch your phone once AA has started.

I used to do it through voice only. Hit the voice button on the steering wheel, say "directions to blah blah" and off you go.
Old 05-04-20 | 12:44 PM
Jezza819
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 95bat
I don't think you're supposed to touch your phone once AA has started.

I used to do it through voice only. Hit the voice button on the steering wheel, say "directions to blah blah" and off you go.
I didn't think I was supposed to touch my phone either but I couldn't clear off that box with a check mark saying "Done" with the address I just arrived at. But you may be right in that if you want to go somewhere else just you just use the voice command and "go home". I noticed in the lower left part of the screen there was a microphone icon which probably does the same thing. That is as long as it can understand the location or address you're trying to tell it.
Old 05-04-20 | 04:10 PM
95bat
Racer

If you arrive somewhere and you can't click "done" try doing the voice command "cancel route". Then get directions to the next location.

The AA voice commands were pretty good for me. I never had a problem with it understanding what I was saying. But I don't have much of a problem with the ES either. I did the voice command calibration when I first bought the car and now it does a pretty good job when I get directions. The directions are that great, but at least it understands me lol