ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Lexus ES 350 UL vs Tesla S

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-20, 01:39 AM
CJS57
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Lexus ES 350 UL vs Tesla S

Anyone driven and have actual experience with both cars? Pretty sure my next car will be electric.
Old 06-12-20, 04:27 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,133 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by CJS57
Anyone driven and have actual experience with both cars? Pretty sure my next car will be electric.
My next car will be electric or a plug-in hybrid. The 2021 NX will have the RAV 4's plug in hybrid engine with 300 horsepower and 39 miles of electric driving then 40 mpg after. Personal opinion of course but no way would i buy a Tesla especially the S although I think of the Tesla models it is the most attractive inside and out. Your ES is worlds more attractive, Consumer Reports rates Lexus #1 in reliability and Tesla is #23 out of 31 manufacturers. The S is 50% more in cost then your ES. Electric over gas if you drive 12,000 miles a year, the average, you will save $600 a year with the Tesla. You will pay this $600 times three to your insurance company.

From Automotive News: According to 2018 data from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the Model S sedan topped a list of the 25 most expensive vehicles to insure.

Meanwhile, a 2019 study by Insure.com ranked the Tesla Model S as the 15th-most costly vehicle to insure in the nation, with an average annual premium of $3,300.
The following users liked this post:
TCASMER (07-12-20)
Old 06-12-20, 09:19 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by CJS57
My suggestion is that you do a ton of research on electric vehicles and then take a test drive. Don't pay any attention to the outdated information people give you and make a decision solely based on how much YOU enjoy the vehicle.
Old 06-12-20, 10:02 AM
PeterA
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

When I spoke to my Lexus dealer last year, he said Lexus is planning on electric cars for all their models when my 2019 ES350 lease expires in 3 years.
Old 06-12-20, 10:46 AM
Barryabko
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Before leasing my 2019 ES 350 UL I drove a Tesla S that belongs to a friend. It drove very well and had plenty of acceleration. The very clean dash was a little weird but I'm sure a person would get used to that. It was a little too small and not quite luxurious enough for me, though.

Last edited by Barryabko; 06-17-20 at 09:45 AM.
websurfer (08-20-20)
Old 06-17-20, 09:43 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts

Might want to hold off on getting a Tesla S.

Lucid Air
Old 08-11-20, 03:34 PM
dstacy99
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tesla Model S would be my choice hands down. Car and driver (who drives every car there is) voted it best car he has ever driven.... Don't get me wrong, I love my Lexus, just couldn't afford the Model S.....
Old 08-12-20, 11:13 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I drove a Model S before I got my ES. I really liked it, and especially liked all of the electronic gadgets. I love that it upgrades the electronics periodically and that you can add features after the purchase. I can't figure out why Lexus can't (won't) do upgrades to their infotainment system.

That said, I don't think there is enough to justify the price of the Tesla. After a couple of months, the cool gadgets lose a bit of their luster, and you don't use them much. The Tesla just becomes an expensive daily driver, and the ES still has all of the things you appreciate every day for less money. To me, it's like getting a Nav system that you rarely use in your day to day driving, and is way too cumbersome to keep updated with current maps. It can be tough to justify the $2k cost. I bought the ES (with the Nav), and use Apple Car Play. After close to 18 months, I still love the ES.
Old 08-17-20, 02:51 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I agree with you that going electric is my next vehicle's choice, and the evaluation criteria for making the move will be different for everyone - for what its worth there are 2 ClubLexus owners who migrated from the Lexus LS to the Model S and LOVE the switch.
Riknchar owned 2 LS600hl's and even had a Genesis G90, currently in a Model S
FatherTo1 owned a LS460 before moving to a Model S

Both stated (as a summary) the build level and comfort features aren't up to a LS level, but the Model S outshines in many ways most automakers (including Lexus) can't match such as acceleration, appeal, self-driving features and noise.
The 19 & newer Model S has the new Maven Air Suspension which has been reviewed very favorably to be almost-as-plush as the LS (as per the 2 former LS owners) which says a lot. If you don't take lots of super-long road trips (or are ok with the Supercharging network) and know the range anxiety concerns, Model S is a solid bet.
Old 08-18-20, 03:14 AM
CJS57
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

What I have learned recently is that many basic functions on the Tesla S are on the touch screen and can be complicated to do while driving?
Old 08-18-20, 09:07 AM
TDMR
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I own both a Model S and an ES 350 F-Sport and these cars are night and day in terms of quality in specific areas.

I compare my Model S to a Peloton bike. The technology is hands down amazing but the car itself is sub par. The car really has a mind of its own and learns your driving patterns every time you are in the car. Take away the technology and the car gets concerning. The quality of the leather is awful. We have had to have the seats repaired several times due to bubbling due to interactions with what Tesla says is fabric softener, hair products and even cologne. Initial build quality was a mess as well. Upon initial delivery, we had several exterior and interior panels aligned along with the frunk and trunk. The paint quality has been addressed several times for flaking and rusts issues. Our ES has had one issue and that was a defective battery. The cosmetic quality of Lexus is far greater than Tesla, hands down. This is something that Consumer Reports is spot on.

In terms of ride, Tesla takes the cake hands down. The ride is so smooth it's ridiculous. LIving in the Pacific NW, the car handles incredible in all conditions and especially snow. With the ES being FWD only, there is no comparison. For $104k, I expected more from Tesla and could have done more due diligence before the purchase but the wife had her mind made up. Would I buy a Tesla again? No, not at the price point unless they correct the build quality, especially the interior. If Lexus gets in the game with Tesla-like technology, they will give Tesla a serious run for their money.

TR
LS500Fan (01-29-22)
Old 08-18-20, 02:42 PM
PeterA
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Lexus hopefully comes out with EV cars in 2022. My ES350 lease is up then

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/l...pe-147525.html
Old 08-18-20, 04:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

The issue with Tesla to me is the interior. Its going to ride and drive better than the ES because of its sophistication and price, but when you compare it to other large luxury sedans that are similar in price (LS, S Class, etc), they have the ride quality beaten and the interiors just absolutely blow the Tesla away.

The fact that the interior of the ES is better at half the cost is just a huge shame for Tesla.
Old 08-19-20, 06:09 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterA
Lexus hopefully comes out with EV cars in 2022. My ES350 lease is up then

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/l...pe-147525.html
I wonder what sort of range they will have?
Old 08-20-20, 10:23 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 318 Likes on 248 Posts

The Tesla vehicles appears to be more of a driving and battery technology car compared to the Lexus which is a reliable, luxury and comfortable vehicle.

Quick Reply: Lexus ES 350 UL vs Tesla S