ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2020 ES350 Battery Drain Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-20, 05:14 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,282 Likes on 991 Posts

Moderators.. I've noticed that the postings are getting off topic. Maybe we've gotten all the input on this narrow subject we can. As the thread starter, I'd like to close this thread. Thank you.
Old 06-27-20, 04:16 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
Moderators.. I've noticed that the postings are getting off topic. Maybe we've gotten all the input on this narrow subject we can. As the thread starter, I'd like to close this thread. Thank you.
I don't see a need to formally close this thread since others might like to chime in over time. Points have been raised that might be off-topic for you but others might benefit from it. The best way for the forum to determine if bad batteries are really prevalent is to have a placeholder for others to input. And although you may think my suggestion to use a trickle charger during longer-than-normal storage is off-topic, I know some others will benefit from it.
Old 06-28-20, 11:07 AM
aygriffith
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by irishbrahm
Memory serves, the dealership replaced my OEM battery with a higher-amperage Lexus "robust" battery.
Probably made by Johnson Controls in Mexico like about every brand of battery for sale in the US. Even fabled Optima Red Tops are made by JC in Mexico now. I buy based only off of price and CCA ratings, I don't even care what the brand is anymore with them all being from the same place.
Old 06-28-20, 02:45 PM
carsareus
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by aygriffith
Probably made by Johnson Controls in Mexico like about every brand of battery for sale in the US. Even fabled Optima Red Tops are made by JC in Mexico now. I buy based only off of price and CCA ratings, I don't even care what the brand is anymore with them all being from the same place.
There are a few other manufacturers that make car batteries besides them. I actually do care about Brands of the batteries that I actually purchase and there are differences. I looked at the battery in my 2020 ES350 today and couldn't find any real identifying information. I did find a white sticker on top that says 380LN3-MF. This seems to be a very common part number used in Camrys and even Avalon's. This isn't surprising considering they have the same Powertrains. The other information given was it had 603 CCA. The battery also had a manufactured date that was 02/2019 or about 10 months prior to when my car was built. I tried to see if it had any information on the sides but it was enclosed in a plastic case and you would need to remove the battery to see this.
Old 06-28-20, 03:14 PM
packman12
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently had my 2020 ES at the Lexus dealer for a problem with the Enform system (which I will start another thread about), so I asked the service writer who manufactures their batteries and he told me it's made by Interstate. Can't vouch for the accuracy of that statement but that is what I was told.
Old 06-28-20, 03:20 PM
aygriffith
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by carsareus
I did find a white sticker on top that says 380LN3-MF.
Johnson Controls part number...

https://www.paulstravelpictures.com/...acement-Guide/
Old 06-28-20, 05:56 PM
PeterA
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

This is a Japanese battery manufacturer. If you look at their battery models they list the ENJ-380LN3 for Lexus.

https://www.gs-yuasa.com/en/newsrele...1214435707_458
Old 07-01-20, 07:31 AM
Dee106
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2020 ES350 is at the dealer now for this issue. This is the second time. I purchased the car in December and they replaced the battery in February...the car has just over 2,000 miles on it. I'm not driving as much ...COVID...but I am driving probably every other day. They have not mentioned the lack of driving as being an issue. They mentioned the location of the keys when not using car. They have turned it over to their "technical" task force. We'll see what they say. I had an ES350 prior to this one and never had a problem, although it was a 2010. I sure hope this is not going to be an ongoing problem. I too worry about getting stranded.
Old 07-01-20, 11:54 PM
ES350808
Driver School Candidate

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 2020 and knock on wood so far so good and I only drive my car on the weekends and that's if its not raining either. My car is very very pampered. lol
The following 2 users liked this post by ES350808:
JRey350hou (07-02-20), swfla (07-03-20)
Old 07-02-20, 11:29 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dee106
My 2020 ES350 is at the dealer now for this issue. This is the second time. I purchased the car in December and they replaced the battery in February...the car has just over 2,000 miles on it. I'm not driving as much ...COVID...but I am driving probably every other day. They have not mentioned the lack of driving as being an issue. They mentioned the location of the keys when not using car. They have turned it over to their "technical" task force. We'll see what they say. I had an ES350 prior to this one and never had a problem, although it was a 2010. I sure hope this is not going to be an ongoing problem. I too worry about getting stranded.
Twice in 6 months has to be frustrating. It's my understanding that Lexus dealers use Interstate as their replacement batteries though it may vary by state. Do you know what the second battery brand was? How about this third one? It's my understanding that the battery brand from the factory is labeled as Lexus/Toyota but is no longer the Panasonic that had been used for many years/decades.With you needing three batteries, I have to believe it's a car issue vs a battery issue. Look forward to hearing what the dealer finds to be the cause.
Old 07-02-20, 12:49 PM
Dee106
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the car back yesterday afternoon. The battery was fine. They think I am keeping my spare key too close to the car. I keep it just inside the attached garage door..about 10 feet from the car. They claim every time the garage door to the house is open the key that is right inside the door connects with the car and starts the computer...wearing the battery down. They did say they have had others with the same issue ...which I have seen online. I'm not sure what to think but we will see how it goes since I have moved the spare key to the front of the house. Keep your fingers crossed. I absolutely love this car and had zero problems with the other two Lexus cars I have had...I would be so disappointed if there is something else wrong with it.
Old 07-02-20, 04:37 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

I wonder why the key too close problem is only with 2020. It could still be that your first battery was bad as well as the second battery. They wouldn't replace them unless they failed battery tester.
Old 07-03-20, 12:07 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Dee106
I got the car back yesterday afternoon. The battery was fine. They think I am keeping my spare key too close to the car. I keep it just inside the attached garage door..about 10 feet from the car. They claim every time the garage door to the house is open the key that is right inside the door connects with the car and starts the computer...wearing the battery down. They did say they have had others with the same issue ...which I have seen online. I'm not sure what to think but we will see how it goes since I have moved the spare key to the front of the house. Keep your fingers crossed. I absolutely love this car and had zero problems with the other two Lexus cars I have had...I would be so disappointed if there is something else wrong with it.
If the dealer is correct about keeping the remotes too close to the vehicle then you can change the remote's setting to a battery-saving mode. See link below to page 107 of the 2020 owner's manual. I do this with my remotes when I go on vacation, but frankly, I think this setting change helps preserve the life of the remote's battery, not the main vehicle's battery.
Attached Files
File Type: docx
Lexus 2020 Remote Key.docx (287.0 KB, 112 views)
The following users liked this post:
swfla (07-03-20)
Old 09-19-20, 02:00 AM
Nadman51
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2020 ES 350 Ultra Luxury model about 4 mos old. Car died and would not start, everything dead. Was able to jump start drove to dealer. After one day was contacted by dealer who stated they did not know what the cause is and Lexus Corporate will be looking into it. Will post update when I get one. Very weird. Have owned Lexus’ for over 30 years and have never had a problem beyond routine maintenance.
The following users liked this post:
vbailey77 (11-13-20)
Old 09-19-20, 06:16 AM
Nadman51
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the update from yesterday's reply to the Battery Drain issue. My service advisor called to advise that there was a "bad computer" which caused the car to die. Part has been ordered and will be replaced on Monday. Still very weird has anyone else experienced this. TY

Quick Reply: 2020 ES350 Battery Drain Issue