ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2020 ES350 Battery Drain Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-20, 06:47 AM
carsareus
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Have you been driving the car very much lately? Also have the drives been long or short drives? My battery also died back in June and my car was also 4 months old. I'm almost positive it was from lack of driving it since it happened when I was working from home and the drives I did make were very short. Now that I'm driving the car to work again I've haven't had the problem again. This is the first time I've ever heard a computer is causing the problem. My car is also a 2020 UL.
Old 09-19-20, 06:57 AM
Nadman51
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, I drive my car every day, combination local and highway. Not an expert buy my understanding is if you drive your car even for a short ride, then inactivity will not cause a battery to die, you may have had a bad cell or also a computer issue, what did they tell you. Inactivity should not impact a battery unless the car sits inactive for around 2 weeks.
Old 09-19-20, 07:05 AM
carsareus
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

When my battery died is wasn't completely dead. It tried to crank but just didn't have enough charge left to turn the car over. My understanding of how the battery works is different than yours or at least I've been told differently from my Lexus dealer. Infrequent short drives aren't enough to keep it properly charged and over time it will cause issues. I'm sure there are other factors involved in this also. If you car was completely dead (Unlike mine) then maybe it was a computer problem. I guess things happen even to new cars. In my case I bought a Battery pack that I keep in my trunk in the event it happens again. I believe some of the others who had this problem did the same. I would suggest reading this entire thread if you haven't already. Good luck on the repair.
Old 09-19-20, 07:43 AM
Nadman51
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’ve read your post. Experts agree that if you run your car once per week for 5-10 mins the battery should not drain, unless you have a bad cell. Would like to hear from other members on that issue. Again Lexus Corporate examined the car and it was a bad computer.
Old 09-20-20, 03:49 PM
lccgl479
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Problems aplenty

In addition to an improperly functioning ENFORM App, now it appears there’s an issue with my battery. Took my 2020 ES to the dealer on
Thursday to have an update to the DCM installed. This was supposedly the cause of my Lexus ENFORM App not working correctly. The car almost didn’t start, clicking as if the battery was dead, but it caught and fired up. I noticed that my parking assist wasn’t available. By the time I made it to the dealer, the warning light had gone off and I just chalked it up to not driving it for about a week and a half. I get the car home, wait the suggested 24 hours after ENFORM activation and it’s still not working. I go out this afternoon and again it almost didn’t start and my parking assist is not working and the warning light is on. I’ll be seeing the dealer tomorrow.
Old 09-20-20, 04:54 PM
packman12
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For what it's worth, after having a dead battery on my 2 month old 2020 ES, I moved both key fobs to the other side of the house (away from the garage) and haven't had the battery drain issue since. I also turn off the auto headlights before parking the car for more than a few days. When my battery died, and had the car jump started, the parking assist warning lights were on for several minutes.
The following users liked this post:
lccgl479 (09-20-20)
Old 09-20-20, 10:22 PM
irobot2090
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If you're going to leave your car over a week or two just get the battery tender and you don't have to worry much.

Amazon Amazon

Old 09-21-20, 09:46 PM
lccgl479
Driver

Default Update on my battery issue

Originally Posted by lccgl479
In addition to an improperly functioning ENFORM App, now it appears there’s an issue with my battery. Took my 2020 ES to the dealer on
Thursday to have an update to the DCM installed. This was supposedly the cause of my Lexus ENFORM App not working correctly. The car almost didn’t start, clicking as if the battery was dead, but it caught and fired up. I noticed that my parking assist wasn’t available. By the time I made it to the dealer, the warning light had gone off and I just chalked it up to not driving it for about a week and a half. I get the car home, wait the suggested 24 hours after ENFORM activation and it’s still not working. I go out this afternoon and again it almost didn’t start and my parking assist is not working and the warning light is on. I’ll be seeing the dealer tomorrow.

Took my car to the dealer today and they checked the battery. I have had this car exactly 5 months today. Turns out there is a bad cell,
and they replaced it free of charge under the vehicles warranty. It’s an actual Lexus battery with 770 cold cranking amps, with an 84 month warranty. I also discovered that the dealership had also installed a device called KAHU upon receiving this vehicle from the manufacturer. This device requires a subscription to use, and I really don’t understand why they would do this when the Lexus ENFORM system and app accomplish pretty much the same thing. I had them remove it, thinking it may have contributed to the battery drain and perhaps it could be the source of my problems with my Lexus ENFORM app. Time will tell if this resolves my issues.

Last edited by lccgl479; 09-21-20 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Omitted word
Old 09-22-20, 05:24 AM
ionian
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 191 Posts

Interesting. Where did they install this tracking device, KAHU? What does it look like?
Old 09-22-20, 07:33 AM
lccgl479
Driver

Default KAHU device

Originally Posted by ionian2k
Interesting. Where did they install this tracking device, KAHU? What does it look like?
I don’t know exactly what it looks like, however I’m including the link where you can research it.
https://www.spireon.com/getkahu/

The IT guy told me that it’s installed beneath the steering column. When asked whether this could be contributing to my battery draining issue and my Lexus ENFORM issue, he said it may very well be. I would have never known about it had I not discovered it in the service records I accessed on Lexus Drivers.
Old 09-22-20, 08:36 AM
ionian
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 191 Posts

That is shady. This trick is commonly employed by Buy Here Pay Here used car dealerships.
Old 09-22-20, 11:15 AM
lccgl479
Driver

Originally Posted by ionian2k
That is shady. This trick is commonly employed by Buy Here Pay Here used car dealerships.

Yeah it surprised me to. I had never even heard of this device or service until I discovered it was in my car. It’s gone now.
Old 10-04-20, 06:03 AM
thairst
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bad Clock

My battery died within 2 weeks after I purchased my car. I noticed the light on the analog clock was staying on while the car was off and doors were closed. Husband had to jump my car. Called the dealership and they said, "You must have left a door open." I knew I hadn't but thought well maybe I did. So I left it alone.

2 weeks ago, the clock light was on again and it would only turn off if I locked the doors. Made an appointment with the service department and let's just say they kept my car for 6 days! They had to replace the clock with a new one.

I'm now more paranoid and watch that clock often when the car is sitting still. With that said, look at your clock and if the light doesn't go out, its what's probably draining your battery.
The following users liked this post:
sderman (10-04-20)
Old 10-04-20, 10:22 AM
packman12
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thairst
My battery died within 2 weeks after I purchased my car. I noticed the light on the analog clock was staying on while the car was off and doors were closed. Husband had to jump my car. Called the dealership and they said, "You must have left a door open." I knew I hadn't but thought well maybe I did. So I left it alone.

2 weeks ago, the clock light was on again and it would only turn off if I locked the doors. Made an appointment with the service department and let's just say they kept my car for 6 days! They had to replace the clock with a new one.

I'm now more paranoid and watch that clock often when the car is sitting still. With that said, look at your clock and if the light doesn't go out, its what's probably draining your battery.
I have looked at the clock too since I also had a dead battery . It stays lit longer than any of the other lights after the ignition is off and all doors are closed. But my clock light does go off after 3 or 4 minutes.
Old 10-04-20, 01:26 PM
thairst
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mine To

My service tech rep said the clock stays lit a little longer so I guess it's normal in these cars. I'm my case, the light would only go out if I locked my doors. That's when I knew something wasn't right because I shouldn't have to do that on order for the light to go out.

Originally Posted by packman12
I have looked at the clock too since I also had a dead battery . It stays lit longer than any of the other lights after the ignition is off and all doors are closed. But my clock light does go off after 3 or 4 minutes.

Quick Reply: 2020 ES350 Battery Drain Issue