ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2020 ES350 Battery Drain Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-20, 06:34 PM
dfcaruso
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES350 Battery Drain

I have a 2020 ES350 - bought back in April and has about 2,800 miles on it. Everything was fine the first few months, even when car sat around during COVID for days at a time. Since then, the battery has died three times and needed a jump. The first time we thought it was a fluke and someone left a light on or something. The next time, I took it to Lexus, they did a battery test, said it was fine and told me to drive the car more. So i sent it on a 600 mile trip with my wife and daughter. Yesterday, died again. Lexus currently has the car and has now admitted there is a problem. They are charging it fully overnight and then doing more tests tomorrow.

Interesting comments about the key fobs, because my wife left the Fob in the car overnight in garage. In addition, she has started leaving the Lexus fob in her SUV on her key chain. This is much closer to the Lexus than previous when it was in the house. For a car like this, if this turns out to be it, I'm a little disappointed I even need to think about where my fob is. Had no issues with my 2016 es.

The Lexus tech who came to the house said it also might have something to do with Bluetooth.

I'll update what they say but it was really helpful to be able to find this forum and know others have the issue - surprised Lexus hasn't been proactive on this front.

Dan
Old 10-12-20, 06:35 PM
dfcaruso
Driver School Candidate

Default ES350 Battery Drain

I have a 2020 ES350 - bought back in April and has about 2,800 miles on it. Everything was fine the first few months, even when car sat around during COVID for days at a time. Since then, the battery has died three times and needed a jump. The first time we thought it was a fluke and someone left a light on or something. The next time, I took it to Lexus, they did a battery test, said it was fine and told me to drive the car more. So i sent it on a 600 mile trip with my wife and daughter. Yesterday, died again. Lexus currently has the car and has now admitted there is a problem. They are charging it fully overnight and then doing more tests tomorrow.

Interesting comments about the key fobs, because my wife left the Fob in the car overnight in garage. In addition, she has started leaving the Lexus fob in her SUV on her key chain. This is much closer to the Lexus than previous when it was in the house. For a car like this, if this turns out to be it, I'm a little disappointed I even need to think about where my fob is. Had no issues with my 2016 es.

The Lexus tech who came to the house said it also might have something to do with Bluetooth.

I'll update what they say but it was really helpful to be able to find this forum and know others have the issue - surprised Lexus hasn't been proactive on this front.

Dan
Old 10-16-20, 08:15 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by carsareus
Good question! My service advisor did tell me they used to use Japanese batteries on these cars but recently changed to American made batteries and he thinks they aren't as good. I've learned service advisors aren't always right though. I did just order an Audew Car Jump Starter to be on the safe side even though I have the 4 year warranty with roadside assistance. I don't want to be caught in a bad situation and be stranded. Its only like $70 and I'll keep it in my trunk. It gives me a little piece of mind. It would be interesting to compare the brand/model of batteries used on both the 2019/2020 cars. I'll look at mine to see if I can get any information on it.
more like l service advisors don't know shi#
Old 10-17-20, 09:05 AM
carsareus
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by heidihidin
more like l service advisors don't know shi#
You may be right BUT if YOU know better information that's factual then post it here now! I only report what I've been told from the dealer and service department! Your post didn't add anything new or beneficial to this thread!
The following users liked this post:
sderman (10-17-20)
Old 10-24-20, 11:49 AM
tomli777
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default software update?!

so i just bought my new 2020 es 350 about two and half months ago. no issues, driving it everyday (10-20 miles). last night it wouldn't start. I tried a few times, sometimes I got the rapid clicking, sometimes the monitors would flicker, but engine wouldn't start. called roadside assistance and they jumped it since the battery was pretty much dead. brought it into the dealer and.....

so it turns out the battery was dead, but not from anything I did. The dealership told me the ES had a software update they had to do, because what was happening to new ES was that when you turned off the car, it still wouldn't completely shut down (I believe the EC?) and that would drain the battery. they said they had four cases of that just this week.
As glad as I am that this is hopefully fixed, it made me feel unsettled that this happened to a brand new Lexus. I called Lexus customer service (I think it's called vehicle experience or something) and the lady was extremely unhelpful and pretty rude. Her exact words were "well...you would have found out about the need about the software update if someone contacted you or in this case...if you car won't start. that's on the customer to figure out" I was shocked at this and asked for a case manager to talk to. hopefully they reach out next week and I have better luck.
Old 10-24-20, 01:17 PM
packman12
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Software update

Interesting about the software update. When I took my car in for its 6 month service a couple of months ago my service advisor took me back to the service bay and they were doing a software update on my car. They never told me why they were doing that, but I had the dead battery issue several months earlier and took the car to the dealer. On that visit they told me nothing was wrong, so perhaps they didn't want to look bad and decided not to say anything specific about the update. Perhaps that update fixed the issue since I haven't had a dead battery since. In any case it might be a good idea for others to ask about this update when in for their next service.
Old 10-24-20, 02:53 PM
carsareus
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by tomli777
so i just bought my new 2020 es 350 about two and half months ago. no issues, driving it everyday (10-20 miles). last night it wouldn't start. I tried a few times, sometimes I got the rapid clicking, sometimes the monitors would flicker, but engine wouldn't start. called roadside assistance and they jumped it since the battery was pretty much dead. brought it into the dealer and.....

so it turns out the battery was dead, but not from anything I did. The dealership told me the ES had a software update they had to do, because what was happening to new ES was that when you turned off the car, it still wouldn't completely shut down (I believe the EC?) and that would drain the battery. they said they had four cases of that just this week.
As glad as I am that this is hopefully fixed, it made me feel unsettled that this happened to a brand new Lexus. I called Lexus customer service (I think it's called vehicle experience or something) and the lady was extremely unhelpful and pretty rude. Her exact words were "well...you would have found out about the need about the software update if someone contacted you or in this case...if you car won't start. that's on the customer to figure out" I was shocked at this and asked for a case manager to talk to. hopefully they reach out next week and I have better luck.
Thanks for this information if its true (Software Update fix) but what exactly was the reason you called Lexus? What were you wanting them to do exactly? Also I assume this is a TSB. Do you have the TSB on your receipt from the dealership?
Old 10-24-20, 04:25 PM
lccgl479
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default L-sb-0004-20

Originally Posted by carsareus
Thanks for this information if its true (Software Update fix) but what exactly was the reason you called Lexus? What were you wanting them to do exactly? Also I assume this is a TSB. Do you have the TSB on your receipt from the dealership?
The DCM Firmware Update is listed above in the subject line. It pertains to the following vehicles: ES300H, ES350, UX200, & UX250H. This was required in order for my Lexus Enform system and app to work correctly. It’s dated March 9, 2020 and I obtained a copy directly from my dealer.

DCM Firmware Update L-SB-0004-20
Old 10-24-20, 06:00 PM
ionian
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 191 Posts

Sounds like a good thing I went with a 2019 ES300H and don't have any of these issues compare to 2020. One would think year 2 model should be less problematic. Weird.
Old 10-26-20, 04:53 PM
packman12
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lccgl479
The DCM Firmware Update is listed above in the subject line. It pertains to the following vehicles: ES300H, ES350, UX200, & UX250H. This was required in order for my Lexus Enform system and app to work correctly. It’s dated March 9, 2020 and I obtained a copy directly from my dealer.

DCM Firmware Update L-SB-0004-20
This is the exact firmware update they did on my car, but I don't see anything on the TSB document that addresses the dead battery issue. So my question is, why did the service advisor say that this had something to do with the batteries dying?
Old 10-27-20, 07:29 AM
tomli777
Driver School Candidate

Well, for me they said the software update was needed because previously the issue with the software was, if you turned off the car, the EC was not completely turned off which caused the battery drain. could be true, could be bs? either way i have a lexus case manager assigned to this who should be contacting me to discuss this more
Old 10-27-20, 07:41 AM
lccgl479
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Just make something up.

Originally Posted by packman12
This is the exact firmware update they did on my car, but I don't see anything on the TSB document that addresses the dead battery issue. So my question is, why did the service advisor say that this had something to do with the batteries dying?
i think sometimes, when they don’t actually know why an issue is occurring or persists, they hypothesize about it. When I continued having the issue with the Lexus Enform system and app, they had many different theories, none of which were correct. The TSB finally resolved my issue after they had to repeat the process. (Apparently they missed a step or something the first tine). When I complained about the battery in mine they told me they tested it and discovered it had a bad cell. I believed them and so far after replacing it, all is well. There is another thread discussing cars that were built in Kentucky having received a batch of bad batteries. In my opinion, a brand new car, especially one as expensive as ours should not have such an annoying issue. I hope they get it figured out for you.
Old 10-27-20, 08:07 AM
tomli777
Driver School Candidate

That's a bit unnerving for me. I actually returned the extended warranty the day after I bought it because I didn't think it was worth it for a car with such good reliability...but maybe that was a bad decision

I'm more disappointed in the service when I called (not the dealership). They literally said sorry but its up to you to discover this issue and bring it in
Old 11-13-20, 05:51 PM
vbailey77
Driver School Candidate

Default Today was told it's a known problem

My 2020 ES was purchased last December. I've been driving it normally. Yesterday, I drove it. Today, I tried to start it and it was crazy. Clicking noises like you'd expect from a dead battery but also flashing lights, random bells and basically just looking possessed.
The dealership sent someone out and he said that it's a known problem and that they think there is something in the car draining the batteries. He got no more specific than that about how the draining was happening.
He said my car will be investigated by Lexus people coming from corporate? Or something like that.
He said the service department will create a case and submit it to Lexus, etc.
Ive also had problems with Enform over and over.
I really don't like our car. I wish they'd buy me out of it.
Old 12-13-20, 09:27 AM
CajnSha
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry Just turned over 2000 miles. Dead battery.

Purchased my 5th Lexus on 10/30/2020... a 2020 ES. Driven on 12/8 and then yesterday when I tried to go somewhere it was dead. First try all I could get was a flashing, blinking lights on the instrument panel. Eventually not even that. Had to call Roadside Assistance for them to come out and jump start. I've never had issues with any of my Lexus cars. I'm not ready to start now. Hope this is a one-time freak occurrence. I've already notified my dealership of the situation and took down the case# issued to me by Roadside Assistance. :-(

Update: I see in this thread where Enform is mentioned. Roadside Assistance sent out AAA to jump start the car this morning. Once started and when I got into the car, a message was on my nav screen that a software update was needed for my Enform services. I did the update before taking my car for a drive. Just find it interesting that I received this needed update just as my car was jump started. Probably nothing more than a coincidence.

Also, since the jump start and the 30 minute drive I took, I received a message from my sales guy and he gave me the cell number for someone in service and who works with Roadside Assistance. He mentioned a batch of bad batteries. He will replace the one I have. Will see if this helps. Crossing fingers. Unfortunately now live 90 miles north of the dealership. I plan to meet with this service guy on Friday. But he said to be sure to call him if I have any trouble before then.

Last edited by CajnSha; 12-13-20 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Add additional information.

Quick Reply: 2020 ES350 Battery Drain Issue